Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A Bit of Patience

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A Bit of Patience

I am as disheartened as the rest of you by the Rams' porous 0-4 start to this season. It certainly hasn't been easy going or viewing for many of us for the last couple of weeks. While our performance has drawn the ire of many posters here at Clanram, I'm noticing that it also has impelled the recession of some other regular contributors. I count myself among those, and, if I may speak on behalf of the rest of the absentees, I'd like to put voice to the reason.

It's because of patience.

Patience in this team and its ability to win, patience in a whole new offense, patience in a hopelessly patchwork secondary, and patience in the coaching staff.

Certainly, the 2011 season has had a less-than-ideal start. We've watched the promise of a 4-0 preseason swept away and suddenly we're in the (in my opinion) knee-jerked midst of fans calling for the coaches' heads, the players' heads, and those of the higher-ups as well. Personally, I don't believe that we're going to the playoffs this season. I think that if we're very lucky, we'll win five games. But I can tell you now that by season's end, I won't be among the contingent calling for the sacking of Devaney, Spagnuolo and McDaniels.

The reason why is because even though this is a win-now league, there are a number of things - effectively things out of our control - that are preventing us from winning this season. In my opinion, all of these things can be resolved with a little patience.

• We lost the entire offseason. Why are teams like Detroit, Green Bay and New Orleans successful in 2011? Their teams and their schemes are are virtually intact from the year before. Any way you cut it, consistency is analogous success in the National Football League.

• We're running a whole new offense. And a complex one at that. One contingent on a group of linemen being able to switch between different blocking schemes and functioning as a cohesive whole at all times. At the moment, this is not happening. Why? They had two weeks to practise as a complete starting unit this offseason. These things take time, and I advise we give it some.

Certainly, players like Jason Smith and Roger Saffold have a lot to answer for through four games. But are they culpable at the end of the season? Not yet, I'd wager. Both had good years last year, and, as we've established, they're doing the kind of things they haven't done before in this offense.

• Look at the schedule. The Rams have the eight-worst Strength of Schedule through five games at 0.556. Take out the Eagles, who have fallen apart since week one, and that figure rises to somewhere in the range of 0.7.

The Rams schedule going forward is the third worst in the league: upcoming Rams opponents have a combined wins percentage of 0.569, trailing only Minnesota (0.611) and the New York Giants (0.608). It's not going to be an easy road ahead. We're playing what I wager will end up as the toughest schedule in the league this year. If we show heart, determination and improved cohesiveness, I will wait a while longer before praying for change.

• Injuries. Speaks for itself. If you had told me six weeks ago that we would be starting Justin King and Al Harris against Green Bay at Lambeau, I would have had a heart attack. Losing Amendola sucks. Bradford's security blanket is well and truly gone.

Injuries heal. Players learn and grow. The schedule, this season, doesn't get any easier - but that's not to say we won't get any better.

If you are feeling apocalyptic about our chances of improving, or about the immediate future of our players and coaches, you should exercise a little patience.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -10-12-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    RealRam, thoey, BM_Face and 1 others like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: A Bit of Patience

I agree with everything here. I say we win 4 games this year. Next year though, the NFC West better be scared. Another solid draft and FA period, we will be back. Especially with all the injuries fixed up.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Lebron is a free agent lets sign him as a receiver!!!!! hahaha

Fastcat is offline Registered User

We have no choice but to be patient

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

While you have good reasons for the losses themselves, they really don't explain the things like the Rams penalties, drops, & lack of competitiveness. That has to be on the coaching staff.
    live4ramin likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well said, BBQ. Much appreciated.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Patience, hell, I am not patient. I do not get a patience discount on the tickets to a game or on Rams merchandise. Screw patience, I'm pissed and I want wins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    While you have good reasons for the losses themselves, they really don't explain the things like the Rams penalties, drops, & lack of competitiveness. That has to be on the coaching staff.
    In my opinion, the drops are on the players. The penalties - at this point in the season - are as much on the players as they are on the new offense, the lack of time we've had to install the new offense and the coaching staff.

The lack of competitiveness stems from these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Patience, hell, I am not patient. I do not get a patience discount on the tickets to a game or on Rams merchandise. Screw patience, I'm pissed and I want wins.
    Understood. BUT I will say that a lack of patience will not foster anything positive. Personally - and you are of course entitled to disagree - I believe that negativity begets negativity, whether it's on the football field or from the bleachers.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I respect bar-bq for his intelligent post. I agree that negativity breeds negativity. But it is difficult to keep expecting fans to be patient- something we've been asked to have YEAR after YEAR.

The Rams' schedule is undoubtedly tough. But it's not tougher than a lot of other teams. The Jets played Dallas, Baltimore, Oakland and new England in successive weeks. Take a look at the Giants schedule the last 8 weeks of the season. Our NFC rivals all play most of the same non-conference teams we play. Whining about the schedule is an excuse, pure and simple. Find a way to steal a win here and there. It won't happen with fundamentally poor, uninspired play week after week.

Not having training camp obviously didn't hurt Carolina (new QB, lousy team), Cincinnati (Carson Palmer retired, lousy team) Cleveland (New coach, lousy team), and 3 or 4 other teams who have found a way to get a win on the board.

And injuries are a part of football. Some teams are hit harder than others. It's the responsibility of the team to pick up the slack and the responsibility of the coaches to coach up the replacements. Winners overcome adversity.

Not being negative. Just stating the facts as I see them.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

• We lost the entire offseason. Why are teams like Detroit, Green Bay and New Orleans successful in 2011? Their teams and their schemes are are virtually intact from the year before. Any way you cut it, consistency is analogous success in the National Football League.

So have alot of teams for example two teams in our division the whinners and Seattle,

• We're running a whole new offense. And a complex one at that. One contingent on a group of linemen being able to switch between different blocking schemes and functioning as a cohesive whole at all times. At the moment, this is not happening. Why? They had two weeks to practise as a complete starting unit this offseason. These things take time, and I advise we give it some.

Once again several teams face the same challenge

Certainly, players like Jason Smith and Roger Saffold have a lot to answer for through four games. But are they culpable at the end of the season? Not yet, I'd wager. Both had good years last year, and, as we've established, they're doing the kind of things they haven't done before in this offense.

I agree accountability something I have not seen much of during Spags regime
    • Look at the schedule. The Rams have the eight-worst Strength of Schedule through five games at 0.556. Take out the Eagles, who have fallen apart since week one, and that figure rises to somewhere in the range of 0.7.

The Rams schedule going forward is the third worst in the league: upcoming Rams opponents have a combined wins percentage of 0.569, trailing only Minnesota (0.611) and the New York Giants (0.608). It's not going to be an easy road ahead. We're playing what I wager will end up as the toughest schedule in the league this year. If we show heart, determination and improved cohesiveness, I will wait a while longer before praying for change.

The schedule was a beast. I think most of us fans would be OK with a 0-4 start if the Rams had so some heart and been competitive.

• Injuries. Speaks for itself. If you had told me six weeks ago that we would be starting Justin King and Al Harris against Green Bay at Lambeau, I would have had a heart attack. Losing Amendola sucks. Bradford's security blanket is well and truly gone.

I have a interesting question. It seems for some reason in the last few years the Rams and Giants struggle with injuries at the WR and secondary? Each and every year??

Injuries heal. Players learn and grow. The schedule, this season, doesn't get any easier - but that's not to say we won't get any better.

I hate to say it but I would rather the Rams get the lottery ticket this year so they can auction off Luck than win a few games this year.

If you are feeling apocalyptic about our chances of improving, or about the immediate future of our players and coaches, you should exercise a little patience.[/QUOTE]

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

This,

@STL W 37-7 27 48 56.3 389 8.1 3 0 2 4 103.6

is J flacco stats against us... please look and try to find another game were he posted stats at least close to this...

this is not macd, this is not the receivers, this is the D, this is our DB and CB...
    this is poor execution on D, this is on top of everything bbq posted... this is not frustrating, but enfuriating... I thoght I would cool off with the bye week... i guess not

patience... well, I'm patience since 2001
    I'm not looking forward to be 16-0, I'm not looking forward to be even 8-8, I just whish for once, to be respected and when the teams look at their schedule they'd say..."that's a tough one"...instead of playing how many points they are going to score on us

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I am as disheartened as the rest of you by the Rams' porous 0-4 start to this season. It certainly hasn't been easy going or viewing for many of us for the last couple of weeks. While our performance has drawn the ire of many posters here at Clanram, I'm noticing that it also has impelled the recession of some other regular contributors. I count myself among those, and, if I may speak on behalf of the rest of the absentees, I'd like to put voice to the reason.

Patience in this team and its ability to win, patience in a whole new offense, patience in a hopelessly patchwork secondary, and patience in the coaching staff.

Certainly, the 2011 season has had a less-than-ideal start. We've watched the promise of a 4-0 preseason swept away and suddenly we're in the (in my opinion) knee-jerked midst of fans calling for the coaches' heads, the players' heads, and those of the higher-ups as well. Personally, I don't believe that we're going to the playoffs this season. I think that if we're very lucky, we'll win five games. But I can tell you now that by season's end, I won't be among the contingent calling for the sacking of Devaney, Spagnuolo and McDaniels.

The reason why is because even though this is a win-now league, there are a number of things - effectively things out of our control - that are preventing us from winning this season. In my opinion, all of these things can be resolved with a little patience.

If you are feeling apocalyptic about our chances of improving, or about the immediate future of our players and coaches, you should exercise a little patience.
    I think this is one of the best post I have read on this board in some time!

Before the season started most people on this board, thought we had a another solid draft and a strong FA. Most people on this board knew we still had issues at WR and where hopeful someone would step up. I think most people knew we would not see Mc D offensive in its entirety until mid season due to the shorten off season. I don't think most people on this board thought we would get off to a fast start. I'm sure most people did not think SJ whom most people on this board believe is our best player and leader of this team would take the opening hand-off to the house and then watch from the sideline. Most people did not think we would lose 7 or more DB before our bye week. Most people on this board did not see DA going out in game one. Most people did not think our two LT would regress this year.

But most people still want to win every Sunday no matter what the circumstances are period.
    And if you are a Fan that buys Rams gear and goes to the games it's well within your right to call for coaching changes and fire the GM. Complain how we can't draft players that make pro bowls.

All I do it what works for me and that is look at the big picture always. In the NFL you are only as good as your next game! So I will always look forward to the Rams next game, with an eye on Sam, Long, Laurinaitis, Quinn, Pettis, Kendricks, Saffold, and the rest of the core of young players that will lead us to the top of the West for years to come.

It takes years to rebuild a team look at the Packers and how long Rogers sat and learned to play at a high level... Rookies and second year guys takes time to become elite players. Warner did not walk into Rams park as a Hall Of Famers but he left one... so did Bruce, Holt and Big O and Marshal.

Have A Bit of Patience
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-12-2011 at 12:35 PM.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

I agree with all you have said and i am one to bash my team but i know that once they get the needed weapons and correct their problems, they will be ok. Remember Packers and Saints were not always this good.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    This I have to agree with. If I still lived in STL, and had season tickets, I would be demanding a refund. The "performance" has been below acceptable.

gap

macrammer is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Bar-bq;398663]In my opinion, the drops are on the players. The penalties - at this point in the season - are as much on the players as they are on the new offense, the lack of time we've had to install the new offense and the coaching staff.

The lack of competitiveness stems from these problems.

BBQ, was wondering what your stance was with Linehan after this first two years? In your remark above you seem to give the coaching staff a hall pass. IMO, the coaching staff owns the lionshare of lack of fundamental prowess.

As you know Rams org has been in toilet since 1990, save for a few glorious years that were just awesome. But, of the past 22 years, we have been on the losing end 17 of those years. Based on this alone, my patience is very thin.

FYI....I am not an advocate of dumping Spags.... at this point. Starting over seems daunting. But, based on what I see on the field, the clock must be ticking. IMO, the only that saves spags is a turnaround in football 101 and some wins.

The wildcard here is our new owner. I am wildly optimistic that Stan will make sure we have nothing but a good product on the field for years to come ala Rosenbloom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast