Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Monday

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Ub,YouB,YouBe
    With the glaring exception of Fletcher, all have been successfully replaced, ...
    In true Clintonesque Waffle manner, that would be, yes. And no. Uh, replaced, yes. Successfully, no.

Still looking to replace Hakim's threat at PR. I know Conwell. And ManUseless is no Conwell. Looker hasn't caught an over-the-shoulder catch for a winning playoff game yet. And Hodgins is also still missed.

If you can honestly say you would rather have any of these replacements, right this moment, instead of any of the old-school, well then - you're welcome to define successful any way you like to argue your point.

I'll trade you Looker, McDoesnt, and ManuMaleable for Proehl, Conwell, and Hakim any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'll even throw in a President and GM for free.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_2.0
    I'll trade you Looker, McDoesnt, and ManuMaleable for Proehl, Conwell, and Hakim any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Looker is much younger so I'd take him over Ricky at this moment. Shaun McMuff is much cheaper than Hakim and at fourth receiver [assuming Ike comes back] is a better deal. Just keep him away from the punt return unit. As for Conwell, I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat. For Manu and Jeff Robinson.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    In true Clintonesque Waffle manner, that would be, yes. And no. Uh, replaced, yes. Successfully, no.

Still looking to replace Hakim's threat at PR. I know Conwell. And ManUseless is no Conwell. Looker hasn't caught an over-the-shoulder catch for a winning playoff game yet. And Hodgins is also still missed.

If you can honestly say you would rather have any of these replacements, right this moment, instead of any of the old-school, well then - you're welcome to define successful any way you like to argue your point.

I'll trade you Looker, McDoesnt, and ManuMaleable for Proehl, Conwell, and Hakim any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'll even throw in a President and GM for free.
    Hakim and Proehl were our #3 and #4 receivers. I'll gladly take our current #3 and #4 receivers, Curtis and McDonald. They're just as productive and a whole lot younger. I'll take Hedgecock over Hodgins at this point as well.

As for Conwell and Manu.....yea, I'd take Conwell back.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    54-33.

Even if you don't miss Martz, the Rams will. You'll see.

11-12 since the start of last season and expectations are/were WHAT for the remainder of THIS season? BTW...whats his POST SEASON (certainly the MOST IMPORTANT) record?? Shhh...we dont wanna bring that up.

For those of you who just jumped on board the bandwagon SINCE the 99 run...this team was considered a serious contender in the NFC for the better part of 2 DECADES prior to the 90s. Heres the UNBELIEVABLE PART...they managed to do this WITHOUT MIKE MARTZ!!!! OMG!!!!

Life will go on and the Rams will be fine long after Ol Rainy is a (bad) memory. We will see alright....thankfully.

this team was considered a serious contender in the NFC for the better part of 2 DECADES prior to the 90s. Heres the UNBELIEVABLE PART...they managed to do this WITHOUT MIKE MARTZ!!!! OMG!!!!
    This team was also 45-99 during the 90's.......without Mike Martz.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    This team was also 45-99 during the 90's.......without Mike Martz.
    What I'm trying to imagine now is what it would have been like with Banks and Martz together. On second thought I think I'll just go back to having a hangover ... so much less painful.

Like I said, define success how you want ... if its by virtue of youth and salary then so be it ... I didn't say I'd throw Curtis under the bus, just ManuLaxative, WontLookerOverTheMiddleAnymore, and McDonnedthePinkDressThisYear.

Replacements all three, productive only at the margins, and candidates for the Flag Football Hall of Shame.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Interesting debate, however, I can't help but wonder as to what happened to the high powered offense.

If the Rams are spending the majority of cap dollars on the offensive side of the ball....

If these new Rams are better or as good as the Rams they replaced....

If Martz is actually an offensive genius....

Then what in the sam hell happened to the GSOT or the 500+ point seasons?

Just wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Then what in the sam hell happened to the GSOT or the 500+ point seasons?

Just wondering....
    Just a media creation. Never was there in the 1st place. Lots of points came from STs and D (who could forget Wistrom with 2 INTs for TDs?). Hadl was throwing bombs to Jackson long before some pseudo-journalist coined an expectation no one could be expected to live up to indefinitely.

So, forget the coined expression. Never really liked it anyways.

Where did the points go?

Given the D scoring some, where did the rest of the points go?

If all things are equal, as some are saying, where is the missing point production from the offense?

The last three seasons have left something to be desired on dividends from all the money being invested on the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter

If all things are equal, as some are saying, where is the missing point production from the offense?
    The novelty has worn off. Play book is too thick and so are the players. Other Ds have adjusted, through personnel acquisition or strategy.

Just my opinion, but I can think of three reasons off the top of my head....
    1. We haven't had a competent RT since 2001........but Barron appears to be the real deal.
    2. Defenses have evolved faster than Martz' playbook.
    3. A 27-year-old Faulk is a whole different animal than either a 32-year-old Faulk or a 24-year-old Jackson.

1. We haven't had a competent RT since 2001........but Barron appears to be the real deal.
    And whose fault is that? Did we really need trung candidate or some of the other experimental draft picks?

2. Defenses have evolved faster than Martz' playbook.
    How is that possible? Every team the Rams have played over the last three seasons has a defense that has improved that much?

3. A 27-year-old Faulk is a whole different animal than either a 32-year-old Faulk or a 24-year-old Jackson.
    Agreed

And whose fault is that?
    Good question. Who really is in charge on draft day and during FA period? It's already been established that Zygmunt blocked Martz' attempt at creating a pro personnel dept. and vetoed some of his personnel choices. I think Canidate was a pure Martz pick, but other than that.......who's to say?
    How is that possible? Every team the Rams have played over the last three seasons has a defense that has improved that much?
    I'd say some have improved. Martz' game plan doesn't seem to have evolved all that much. He is accountable for that. However, some defenses have changed almost specifically for the Rams (ie the rest of the NFC West)

It's already been established that Zygmunt blocked Martz' attempt at creating a pro personnel dept. and vetoed some of his personnel choices.
    When and by whom was that established? I'd be interested in reading any investigative reporting that has been done by the St. Louis media. Trouble is, they seem to be held in the dark, by the Rams FO, like everyone else.

some defenses have changed almost specifically for the Rams (ie the rest of the NFC West)
    Maybe the whiners tried to change. Don't think AZ did much changing under marmie. Hawks - questionable as to changes made specifically to stop the Rams. If they did it has not worked that well.

When and by whom was that established?
    nevermind....lol

I just read bernie's article.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123