throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Blackout unlikely, but players concerned about crowd's mood

Fans to have say in finale

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press
    VIKINGS REPORT

With fewer than 600 tickets remaining as of Tuesday afternoon, Vikings fans apparently won't have to worry about Sunday's season finale against St. Louis being blacked out locally.

Out of the playoff picture at 6-9, the Vikings don't have much to play for, but the players said they're hoping for a positive reception from the home fans.

"I hope they come out and show their support," linebacker Ben Leber said. "I know we have great fans here and not the typical fair-weather fans. They have some diehards up here. So I hope the diehards come out and still support us."

The Vikings have a string of 93 consecutive home sellouts and are offering $25 gift certificates to the Vikings Locker Room Store with the purchase of two tickets to this game.

The Rams (7-8), coached by former Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, have an outside chance at the playoffs and a potent offense led by running back Steven Jackson, who leads the team in rushing with 1,386 yards and receiving with 88 catches for 782 yards.

"If you look at it, they get him the ball as many ways as they can," defensive tackle Kevin Williams said. "I'm pretty sure they're going to hand it off to him and throw to him. We'll just have to study the film and see how we can take the ball out of his hands."

With the Vikings reduced to a spoiler role, Williams said: "It hurts to see a lot of teams that are still in the playoff hunt right now and we were so close in a lot of games. We just have to regroup and do better."

Leber, who left San Diego to sign with the Vikings as a free agent, said he hasn't had much time to reflect on where this season went wrong.

"It's definitely a different feel this week," he said. "I've been in this position before. You've just got to play for pride. You've got to finish the season strong. This is a week where you can look for next year and kind of get off on a good note with a win. That's what we're going to try to do."

Good news/bad news: With one game to play, the Vikings rank No. 1 in the NFL in run defense, allowing 54.5 yards a game, and 32nd and last in pass defense (238.0).

The Vikings' 817 yards rushing allowed are 358 fewer than No. 2 Baltimore, while their 3,570 yards passing allowed are 27 more than No. 31 Cincinnati.

If the Vikings hold the Rams to less than 152 yards rushing, they will break the modern-day NFL record of 60.6 yards a game set by the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. Leber said that and finishing No. 1 against the run are goals.

"I think as long as they're obtainable, they're right there in our grasp," he said. "I think you'd be hard-pressed to sit there and say it's not important. It is. That's something we're going to be gunning for."

After further review: Tarvaris Jackson had a game to forget in his first NFL start, but coach Brad Childress said in a Sirius satellite radio interview Tuesday that his rookie quarterback didn't get a lot of help.

"His numbers weren't particularly good, but I thought he had a great look in his eye coming off the field," Childress said. "You've got to be able to play around a guy."

Jackson completed 10 of 20 passes for 50 yards with one interception in Thursday night's 9-7 loss at Green Bay.

Happy camper: Williams became the NFL's highest-paid defensive tackle last week when the Vikings signed him to a seven-year contract extension that could be worth up to $50 million.

The two-time Pro Bowl selection, who could have become an unrestricted free agent after the 2007 season, said he was glad to get his contract situation resolved.

"I wasn't focusing on it," he said. "I was trying to win games and help us get to the playoffs... . I'm thankful that it got done and it's out of the way."

Workouts: Some fresh legs worked out Tuesday, most notably receiver Rashaun Woods, who caught seven passes in 2004 for the San Francisco *****.

The others who worked out were mostly former Canadian Football League players: safety Chip Cox, defensive backs Stanford Samuels and Wally Dada, wide receivers Davon Fowlkes and Jovan Witherspoon and running back Kenton Keith.

Briefly: Long snapper Cullen Loeffler had a couple of low snaps at Green Bay because of an apparent injury to his right hand. Loeffler wouldn't comment except to say, "It was a rough game for me."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Blackout unlikely, but players concerned about crowd's mood

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Fans to have say in finale

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press
    VIKINGS REPORT

The Vikings have a string of 93 consecutive home sellouts and are offering $25 gift certificates to the Vikings Locker Room Store with the purchase of two tickets to this game.
    I would consider buying 2 tickets to this game if I thought for a second they sold RAMS stuff in the Vikings locker room store.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Looks like Smoot will be out, he broke his jaw in an auto accident. The secondary should be ripe for the picking.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

blood85 Guest

I think we will win 27-23.