Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The Bleacher Report: Robinson Out for Season, Possible QB Controversy in St. Louis

By Matt Snyder (RSS feed)
    After three Rams losses, it's pretty evident 2009 is going to be a long season in St. Louis (the third straight of the variety). Monday, they received some more bad news -- that Laurent Robinson, a member of the already paper-thin receiving corps, will likely miss the remainder of the season after injuring his lower leg (both a fractured fibula and high ankle sprain) during Sunday's loss to Green Bay.

Quarterback Marc Bulger also left the game injured, but his injury isn't deemed as serious, now that he's been diagnosed with a bruised rotator cuff. Earlier Monday, some feared Bulger had a torn rotator cuff and would also miss the remainder of the season. Of course, clouding matters is that Kyle Boller came in relief of Bulger and looked far superior.

Now, realizing they still have 13 games left this year, in addition to the fact that the Rams are trying to make progress for the future, there is already talk in St. Louis that Boller could be the better option as the Rams' signal-caller for the rest of 2009.

It makes a lot of sense, actually.

Bulger is 32 years old. He doesn't have an especially strong arm and he's not mobile. Boller is only 28, and he has enough physical tools to have gotten him drafted in the first round back in 2003.

Obviously, pro pedigree will factor in a bit, as Bulger has the much better professional resume. He's been to the Pro Bowl twice and taken his team to the playoffs twice. Boller was a colossal bust for the Baltimore Ravens after Brian Billick committed to him following the 2003 draft.

Here's the thing, though: Boller wasn't throwing to The Greatest Show on Turf in Baltimore. If you check out the current version of Marc Bulger (he's won just four of his past 30 starts and has a rating hovering just above 70 during that same time frame), he's just not that impressive at all. It's also entirely possible Boller just needed a change of scenery and/or is a late bloomer.

After Boller's play Sunday, it's worth it for rookie head coach Steve Spagnuolo to at least consider going with Boller. Marc Bulger had led the Rams to just one touchdown in nine quarters before leaving with an injury. Boller threw two in three quarters. Boller has far superior arm strength and pretty good agility in the pocket. And, again, he's four years younger and playing for a team who is looking toward the future.

Of course, whoever the quarterback is now has to deal with an even worse receiving corps than the sub-par-at-best group he already had. Robinson led the team with 11 catches, 141 yards and one touchdown through the first two weeks. With him out of the picture, the Rams will look to sign a free agent. The other receivers on the roster are Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, Derek Stanley and Ruvell Martin.

I think they need to see what Boller to Avery and Burton can provide the rest of the season before re-evaluating the direction of the offense. We'll see if Spagnuolo agrees quite soon, because Bulger should be ready to return within the next few weeks.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: The Bleacher Report: Robinson Out for Season, Possible QB Controversy in St. Loui

well Mr Journalist got atleast one fact wrong...Derek Stanley is not on the roster!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: The Bleacher Report: Robinson Out for Season, Possible QB Controversy in St. Loui

This guy is a moron.

As stated on the board before, the Packers didn't have a gameplan for Boller. That is why he was capable of confusing the defense and scored.

Look at the second half, it looked like he was still wearing a Raven's jersey...

Bulger will start again when he comes back. Simple as that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Absolutely correct, Mooselini, Bulger will start and that's the end of it. Boller is a back-up at best. With what the team is paying Bulger, he will not be benched. It's not as if we're in the hunt for a playoff spot. The upside of Bulger finding his groove is far greater than Boller. NO QB CONTROVERSY IMO.

Go Rams!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Keith Null "I'll Start"
    Null could well start before season's end, but likely not under the best of circumstances .. If Boller is injured with all his scrambling around, and Marc continues to get beaten up, Null may have to start a game or two. Hopefully that won't happen - nothing against Keith, but there is a reason he is our number 3 QB at this point.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    This guy is a moron.

As stated on the board before, the Packers didn't have a gameplan for Boller. That is why he was capable of confusing the defense and scored.
    How exactly is a game plan so different for Bulger versus Boller?

Ever think that just maybe the injury to Robinson and the re-aggrevation to Avery had an impact in the second half? He had the #3 WR and a banged up receiver, not exactly a power passing combo.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Null playing is a good and a bad thing. He'd get some valualbe snaps in real game situations at the NFL level, but for that to happen some bad things would have to have proceeded it.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -09-30-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Semper Fi!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

Ever think that just maybe the injury to Robinson and the re-aggrevation to Avery had an impact in the second half? He had the #3 WR and a banged up receiver, not exactly a power passing combo.
    The difference is that bulger wont going sprinting for 10 yards when he is under pressure, that makes a huge difference. You have to tell you linebrackers to keep and eye on the qb so that doesnt happen. The Pack just got thrown for a loop plain and simple. Boller was also dealing with a #3 wr that is playing better then our #1wr and robinson was injured before boller even came in so him being out has nothing to do with the equation.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I like Boller & I think we can win with him but stating that Boller was 'far superior" is unsubstantiated drivel.Even forgetting about the wild early throws which you can chalk up to rust/nerves, he was better with his feet than his arm. And I think Bulger could have made both those reads & TD passes given the same protection.Plus quite a few more reads and completions that Boller missed.

When you get to the turning point,imo, in the game for the offense-that drive in the 3rd when The Rams stalled out of FG range, Boller threw a ball into the ground on first down & chose not to use his legs to pick up the first & tried the low % pass to Randy instead. He threw a bad pick that sealed our fate later & could have been picked earlier. Some people loved the block he threw on Woodson. I thought it was a stupid risk for the team in the circumstances.

If Kyle is going to help the Rams win he needs to take the good aspects of Bulger's game; accuracy and smarts, and add them to his own strengths ; mobility & greater arm strength esp on the run, not substitute them.

rNemesis is offline Registered User
    Just draft the qb of the future in next years draft thats all plain and simple no more controversy bulger sucks boller is a lil better but still is sucky and null hast even played a down yet.

Draft a qb spags.!!!!!

or fix this crappy o line and get a free agent like jeff garcia ( still dont know why we havent went after him after all this time)
    Last edited by Nick; -09-30-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: No need for back to back posts, just EDIT next time

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    This guy is a moron.

Look at the second half, it looked like he was still wearing a Raven's jersey...

Bulger will start again when he comes back. Simple as that.
    whats a gameplan for Bulger look like ?

rammiser is offline Registered User

Why is it every qb for the Rams except for Bulger is afforded excuses? Everytime people point out the adversities for Bulger it's an excuse, so why is this not the case for every other Rams qb?
    Just Fix It

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

...who is Matt Snyder?

I would think it's pretty clear that a gameplan against Boller would be different than a gameplan against Bulger because you'd have to factor in Boller's ability to scramble. But you also would have to think that if you can pressure him, you can force him into some bad throws, like the pick he threw in the fourth quarter.

Even Green's broadcast partner acknowledged that Boller's legs were something that the Packers probably hadn't prepared for since they were planning to face Bulger.

Ever think that just maybe the injury to Robinson and the re-aggrevation to Avery had an impact in the second half?
    Do you think it did? Robinson only had one catch on both of the touchdown drives combined, so he wasn't a big factor in either of them. In fact, he was injured for the second one. Avery wasn't injured until the second to last Rams offensive play of the game, so we can throw that one out as well. So no, I don't think they had a big impact in the second half.

I need to sit down and give the game a more thorough watch, but from what I've been able to sit through so far, I think the Packers were a bit more aggressive in the second half and Boller just wasn't that accurate. He actually displayed some accuracy issues on the final drive of the first half as well that could have foreshadowed his second half performance a bit, but those are probably forgotten about because the drive ended with a TD. He had a number of off-target throws in the second half though, one of which resulted in an interception. The Rams also didn't appear to use the same kind of quick screens that helped him get in a rhythm on his first TD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I like Boller & I think we can win with him but stating that Boller was 'far superior" is unsubstantiated drivel.Even forgetting about the wild early throws which you can chalk up to rust/nerves, he was better with his feet than his arm. And I think Bulger could have made both those reads & TD passes given the same protection.Plus quite a few more reads and completions that Boller missed.

When you get to the turning point,imo, in the game for the offense-that drive in the 3rd when The Rams stalled out of FG range, Boller threw a ball into the ground on first down & chose not to use his legs to pick up the first & tried the low % pass to Randy instead. He threw a bad pick that sealed our fate later & could have been picked earlier. Some people loved the block he threw on Woodson. I thought it was a stupid risk for the team in the circumstances.

If Kyle is going to help the Rams win he needs to take the good aspects of Bulger's game; accuracy and smarts, and add them to his own strengths ; mobility & greater arm strength esp on the run, not substitute them.
    Good points. Bulger has better accuracy and makes better decisions, but he isn't as dangerous on the move. Boller is mobile and can hurt you on the ground, but he'll throw some real head scratchers sometimes, including some interceptions.

Some will argue that Kyle's mobility gives the Rams a better chance to win, and while I agree it certainly adds another facet to the offense, I have to wonder if his accuracy and decision making balance things out. For all the talk about Boller's mobility, it really didn't help the Rams much in the second half. I don't think he scrambled again until the game was well out of reach, after his interception.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Keith Null "I'll Start"
    You mean the guy who told Boller not to lead with his head when throwing a block for fear of injury.

Those are not the words of a guy who wants to play right now.

/Who can blame him? The best defense he probably faced prior to this year was Division I-AA quality. I think he fears for his life if he goes out there.

btimsah Guest

If Boller starts, we will score some points but not a lot.

If Bulger starts, we won't score.

I don't care about any other b.s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast