Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Blessing in disguise

Its never a good thing for any of our players, especially the 1st team to experience any downtime as a result of injury. But i think Avery's mishap gives other receivers a chance to move up. Nobody will replace Avery on this team, but this forces coaches to take a closer look at other players. Majority of our receivers are still raw and unproven and probably would stay that way until maybe after the 4th or 5th game of the season had this not happened. It certainly hurts our chances of fielding our best team for the 1st couple of games but when he comes back i think our #2 & #3 spots will be a no brainer. We can use this against other teams early on in the season because now you know the gameplan will mostlikely be to stop the run. At this point, we can't start the blame game or point negatives, its the positive thinking that will get this team over the hump. Lets just pray that when he returns he's fully healed and ready to go.

invisiblehorns314 is offline Registered User

Re: Blessing in disguise

I agree, to a certain extinct. That's why veteran leadership was so important. This is where Curry, Marc, Jason Brown, the list goes on. This is where key veteran leadership comes into play. Curry isn't a dominate receiver, but he's serviceable. Let's rally around the other receivers and hope for the best

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Marvin Harrison is available... why not go after him?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Marvin Harrison is available... why not go after him?
    Because he's looking for big money and he's got mutiple lawsuits filed against him for actions during a shooting spree outside his car wash. Probably not the best guy to take on right now.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Because he's looking for big money and he's got mutiple lawsuits filed against him for actions during a shooting spree outside his car wash. Probably not the best guy to take on right now.
    Good point!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Why is it that the likes of Curry, Robinson and Burton will be able to perform better if Avery is unable to practice? They have 9 receivers so does Avery get that many reps that it distracts from the other players?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    At this point I think he would be happy with the vet minimum, because no one is biting. He's to old and his career is pratically over definately would take a pass on him.

I've been routing for Laurent Robinson all offseason. He has been our most healthy WR and he's been lining up with the first team nearly the whole off season. I think he and Bulger have developed some kind of rapport and he will just continue to improve. With Avery out he will be the number 1 guy in the meantime and that can only help IMO. He has the talent, size, and speed to be a great weapon.It wouldn't surprise me if he took the number 1 job and not look back. At the verry least I think he is going to be a verry solid 2 this year and he will shock alot of teams.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Why is it that the likes of Curry, Robinson and Burton will be able to perform better if Avery is unable to practice? They have 9 receivers so does Avery get that many reps that it distracts from the other players?
    If Donnie is out for 6 weeks someone else (Burton maybe?) will move up in line and take Donnie's reps. Another player will take Burtons reps as the #2 wideout and so on. Way back when we traded for Trent Green and he was looking really good in camp, the Rams were dealt a cruel blow when Green was knocked out for the entire season by Rodney Harrison in a preseason game. I don't think many fans thought much of our chances to make the playoffs after that, let alone win the Super Bowl. During the moments when Green was carried off the field, I doubt if many people thought an Arena league and part time grocery stocker would take us to the promised land.

We all wish Donnie was healthy and able to play, but he isn't. Among the many wideouts in camp, hopefully one will step up and shine. It is definitely a big opportunity for someone. Will we find another diamond? Probably not .. but you just never know ... Like it or not, we've got the lemons, now it's time to make lemonade! Sure we may not have anyone as fast as Avery now, but there are other attributes necessary as well. I remember a guy named Steve Largent who wasn't exactly a burner, but he was plenty fast enough to get open and catch the ball now and then. He had a pretty good career for a slow guy. There is alot to be said for the knack of getting open and then coming down with the ball.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't know if this is a blessing if you would call it.

Yes, it's cool that the other guys will get more reps...but we did just lose our best receiver. Especially to our speed demon, a foot injury scares me to death.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

The Rams will be okay fellas, this is not a show stopper. We have a slew of young receivers that are chompin' at the bit for practice time and now's their chance to step up and make the coaches take notice. Keep an eye on Robinson.

We'll be fine. ...Trust me.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MB10HOF is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    Its never a good thing for any of our players, especially the 1st team to experience any downtime as a result of injury. But i think Avery's mishap gives other receivers a chance to move up. Nobody will replace Avery on this team, but this forces coaches to take a closer look at other players. Majority of our receivers are still raw and unproven and probably would stay that way until maybe after the 4th or 5th game of the season had this not happened. It certainly hurts our chances of fielding our best team for the 1st couple of games but when he comes back i think our #2 & #3 spots will be a no brainer. We can use this against other teams early on in the season because now you know the gameplan will mostlikely be to stop the run. At this point, we can't start the blame game or point negatives, its the positive thinking that will get this team over the hump. Lets just pray that when he returns he's fully healed and ready to go.
    I agree 100% here. This could get S Jax going and it will also let Marc prove to the rest of the league that he doesn't need ELITE receivers to be an elite quarterback in the NFL. Can't wait to see him prove 'em wrong!