Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BLOG ALERT WARNING: After Loss, Spagnuolo Had LOng Talk With Kroenke

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

BLOG ALERT WARNING: After Loss, Spagnuolo Had LOng Talk With Kroenke

After Rams lost, Spagnuolo had long talk with Kroenke

Posted by Michael David Smith
    September 20, 2011

Spagnuolo confirmed today that Rams owner Stan Kroenke called him in for a meeting immediately following the game, and that’s why Spagnuolo took 25 minutes to get to the post-game press conference, in violation of NFL rules.

“I do deeply apologize for being last at the postgame conferences,” Spagnuolo told reporters. “I want you to know it’s not out of any disrespect and I do know that the jobs you guys have, there’s a lot going on at that time and you want to get the players and you don’t want to be sitting in the press conference room waiting for me. I’ve visited a couple times with Mr. Kroenke, and I value that time. He’s great. I appreciate him coming in and talking to us and myself. That’s kind of what’s happened, but we’ll get that squared away and I promise you that we’ll take care of you like we should.”

Spagnuolo put the best spin on that post-game meeting that he could, but Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reported that Spagnuolo’s tardiness was the result of Kroenke being a “control freak” who has been “haranguing” Spagnuolo after losses, wanting explanations.

That’s not a good sign. Kroenke was the minority owner of the Rams when Spagnuolo was hired, and we don’t know whether that was a hiring that Kroenke would have made if he had been the sole owner of the team, which he is now. But we can be sure that Kroenke isn’t happy with what he’s seen on the field from his team so far this season.

As Florio pointed out today on PFT Live, the Rams’ schedule doesn’t get any easier: Their next five opponents are the Ravens, Redskins, Packers, Cowboys and Saints. It’s hard to see them being any better than 2-5 after that stretch, and 0-7 is possible. If Spagnuolo’s seat is warm right now, it’s only going to get warmer.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: BLOG ALERT WARNING: After Loss, Spagnuolo Had LOng Talk With Kroenke

Good lord, if there's any truth to this it's a terrible sign. Given that this is the first I've heard of anything like this about Kroenke, I'm not sure I buy it.

The Rams have a number of problems, but Spags is definitely not one of them.

Edit to add: Just a thought here, but if Kroenke were upset with Spags, I'd bet that it was for the punt that basically ended the game. 4th and 27 or whatever it was, but you absolutely have to go for it in that situation. Not going for it is giving up since the Rams had no way to stop the clock. Sure 99/100 times you still lose going for it, but 100/100 times you lose by punting (except when the Giants inexplicably field the punt - why on Earth would you even have a Giants player within 20 yards of that punt?)
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -09-20-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'd question Kroenke's decision making skills if he were to fire Spags than the decision the punt at the end of the 4th quarter. Punting on 4th and 28 towards the end of the 4th quarter was understandable for me since the players disappointed Spags and that we don't want to risk a potentially meaningless injury for Bradford.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Good lord, if there's any truth to this it's a terrible sign. Given that this is the first I've heard of anything like this about Kroenke, I'm not sure I buy it.

The Rams have a number of problems, but Spags is definitely not one of them.

Editorials to add: Just a thought here, but if Kroenke were upset with Spags, I'd bet that it was for the punt that basically ended the game. 4th and 27 or whatever it was, but you absolutely have to go for it in that situation. Not going for it is giving up since the Rams had no way to stop the clock. Sure 99/100 times you still lose going for it, but 100/100 times you lose by punting (except when the Giants inexplicably field the punt - why on Earth would you even have a Giants player within 20 yards of that punt?)
    That ended it right there but what was worse was the punt on 4th before that drive they should of gone for it there was like 6 minutes. Spags had to much confidence in his defense and it back fired.

Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reported that Spagnuolo’s tardiness was the result of Kroenke being a “control freak” who has been “haranguing” Spagnuolo after losses, wanting explanations.
    I have a hard time believing this guy Hubbuch would be privy to, or have access to this information. And who made the determination that Kroenke was a "control freak" who was "haranguing" Spags. I don't put a lot of stock in this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Never heard of this guy Hubbuch. And I, too, have not heard anything even remotely close to Kroenke being "a control freak". If anything, I've heard the opposite- that he's a background guy who is not known as a meddler.

My feelings on Kroenke and comments on this meeting are summed up nicely on the "Love Spags, But" thread.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    That ended it right there but what was worse was the punt on 4th before that drive they should of gone for it there was like 6 minutes. Spags had to much confidence in his defense and it back fired.
    Yeah that was a no-brainer to go for it there as well. I do feel Spags is way too conservative, but you could at least attempt to justify not going for it on 4th and 7. Punting to the Giants who then just take victory formation is more "black and white" in the sense that a non-zero chance of winning > zero chance of winning.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

That's right Stan, Spags' gotta go! You as the owner need to get a grip of this sad Rams situation. I'm 100% behind Da Man Stan, besides you got Cowher, Parcells, Jimmie Johnson, etc in the wings.
    Get someone in here who knows what they're doing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    That's right Stan, Spags' gotta go! You as the owner need to get a grip of this sad Rams situation. I'm 100% behind Da Man Stan, besides you got Cowher, Parcells, Jimmie Johnson, etc in the wings.
    Get someone in here who knows what they're doing!
    And here I thought Bradford was going to be your new whipping boy..........

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

that's it! the wheels have come off the wagon. this team is packing up and heading west. no doubt!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    that's it! the wheels have come off the wagon. this team is packing up and heading west. no doubt!
    I doubt that L.A. would want this team in it's current state. L.A. is all about winning L.A. fans can forget about the Rams being a part of the equation in teams available to come. Fans in St Louis barely come to games win they're winning, not to mention they'd have to compete with the Lakers. If this team doesn't start winning no way L.A. will take them.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I doubt that L.A. would want this team in it's current state. L.A. is all about winning L.A. fans can forget about the Rams being a part of the equation in teams available to come. Fans in St Louis barely come to games win they're winning, not to mention they'd have to compete with the Lakers. If this team doesn't start winning no way L.A. will take them.
    Despite being an east coast guy, I am a fan of the Rams, Dodgers and Lakers and have been since childhood. I can tell you with certainty that your assertion that "Los Angeles is all about winning" is laughable. LA fans are some of the most fickle, fair weather fans in the country, completely unsupportive unless things are going well, and dispassionate about winning, caring more about being seen than anything else. Dodgers fans get there in the 3rd inning and leave early- and that's in a good year. The Rams left in part because they were not supported. And remember when disgusted Lakers fans actually started supporting the Clippers during the several year lull they had in the 90's? God forbid the Lakers actually have a bad year or two.

Los Angeles is going to accept the team with whom it stands to make the most money and court the owner with the deepest pockets with whom the city thinks it can generate both fan interest and revenue. A team's current won-loss record has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -09-20-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Never heard of this guy Hubbuch. And I, too, have not heard anything even remotely close to Kroenke being "a control freak". If anything, I've heard the opposite- that he's a background guy who is not known as a meddler.

My feelings on Kroenke and comments on this meeting are summed up nicely on the "Love Spags, But" thread.
    Agreed & I'd go a step further & guess that this comes from a Giants guy, disillusioned with Coughlin, and is secretly hoping for Spags to become available as a replacement. Hence, the wishful gossipy spin.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Gotta love the media... Bunch of bumbling fing idiots...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast