Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

Blog: Julio Jones likely out of the picture for the Rams

by: VanRam

If you were going to buy Julio Jones' draft stock, too late. You can't afford it. His workout at the Combine yesterday sent it through the roof.

Jones' speed and power were painfully evident. Jones' forty time was 4.39. A sub-4.4 forty time is usually more than enough to get you noticed combined with hours of Oscar-worthy game tape, all the hype around Jones is warranted. Throw that on top of his remarks in to the press on Saturday, the ones were he compared himself to Ray Lewis and explained that he loves to hit defenders as a much as anything he does as a WR and I don't think there's any doubt that Jones is a legitimate top 10 pick.

That also means he's not going to be available for the St. Louis Rams with the 14th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. That's unfortunate. The Rams because the Rams desperately need a receiver. In fact, one very knowledgeable source I talked to on Saturday described the current group of Rams receivers "****" and said that there's no way the team can count on the incumbents because of the injury history.

Throw out Jones at pick #14 and the Rams have a few different options. They can 1) trade up. It's an iffy proposition for the Rams since they only have one pick in each round and desperately still in need of depth. There's always option 2) the free agent route, but in case you haven't heard, that's kind of a crap shoot this year too. And what sure things are there on the market now anyway?

Most likely it's option 3) trading down. If Devaney drops his pick to late in the first round there are several options available down there. Maryland's Torrey Smith is one of them, but there are questions about his overall game. Pitt's Jon Baldwin is still in the conversation, though he'll require a very thorough vetting to assuage questions about his character. Options beyond the first round are in play too.

Leonard Hankerson's hands did not look great yesterday. Ricardo Lockette is an intriguing small school player to keep an eye on...how quickly can he develop though? Indiana's Tanon Doss is an option too, some of the draft pundits I talked to this weekend liked Doss, a good player who just doesn't have Julio Jones' seemingly endless ceiling.
    The draft picture takes new turns and twists at the Combine, every year.

After a relatively uneventful guessing game about the Rams' pick last year, things look vastly different this year.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blog: Julio Jones likely out of the picture for the Rams

I've added the word "Blog" to your thread title and ask that you do the same if you wish to post anything else from VanRam, or BleacherReport, or the like.

Some of these sites look like news sites, but they really merely publish fan opinion pieces. This "VanRam" has no more inside information than anyone here, so when he says Julio Jones won't be available at pick #14, he is merely stating an opinion.

Thanks.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Long term...maybe lots of players have run as fast and faster 40s and where not NFL caliber. Being not overly familiar with his career to know if he has other skill sets besides speed, I can't say if this is a let down or not. What I do know is the the Ram's needs are many; where as a good WR is a real plus having two good ones is better--just so opponents can't double team the one great WR you have.

Fact is alot of holes have to be filled through Free agency no matter whom you draft 1-2 & 3. Oddly with 2011 season in doubt its a risk and a gamble. So if your in the Rams FO, take a role of the dice; at worst there is a possible payout in 2012.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I've read some comparisons between him and Andre Johnson (found this at the Football's Future forums)

Andre Johnson
    College Career Stats:
    92 receptions
    1,831 yards
    19.9 yards per catch
    20 touchdowns

Combine Numbers:
    6'3"
    230 pounds
    4.41 40 yard dash
    41" vertical
    11'0" broad jump

Julio Jones
    College Stats:

179 receptions
    2,653 yards
    14.8 yards per catch
    15 touchdowns

Combine Numbers:
    6'3"
    220 pounds
    4.39 40 yard dash
    39" vertical
    11'3" broad jump

Jones's college stats look better compared to Johnsons (except for vertical) but even he had his fair share of dropped passes during his college career. Now I'm not guaranteeing that he's going to be the next Andre Johnson or better but just looking into consideration. Though he still isn't worth trading up IMO, I can only hope he's still up for grabs at #14.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Jones' strong showing at the Combine may make it less likely he's there when the Rams pick, but it's certainly not impossible. Every year, we see talented prospects slip a bit further than many think they should - Dez Bryant, Bryan Bulaga, Michael Oher, etc. Perhaps more than anyone, I appreciate discussion of the various scenarios that can occur on draft day. But history tells us you really shouldn't rule out a talented prospect potentially slipping.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jones' strong showing at the Combine may make it less likely he's there when the Rams pick, but it's certainly not impossible. Every year, we see talented prospects slip a bit further than many think they should - Dez Bryant, Bryan Bulaga, Michael Oher, etc. Perhaps more than anyone, I appreciate discussion of the various scenarios that can occur on draft day. But history tells us you really shouldn't rule out a talented prospect potentially slipping.
    That's true, Nick. I personally had given up hope on JJ, seeing him too tempting for 10+ teams to pass him by come Draft Day. But I fully agree there is a reallistic possibility. Of those teams several are NOT looking into recruiting a WR. And the Rams could always make something happen for their No. 1 pick.

Ha, I just found this post in the other forum, by Thoey:
    BTW, the way I see it (according to CBS Sports), I see the top ten teams needs as:

1 Carolina Panthers - D Line, LB, TE, QB
    2 Denver Broncos - DEF, TE
    3 Buffalo Bills - QB and DEF, Anything but WR
    4 Cincinnati Bengals - Team
    5 Arizona Cardinals - QB, OT, LB, CB
    6 Cleveland Browns - WR, OT, DEF, TEAM
    7 San Francisco ***** - C, DT, LB
    8 Tennessee Titans - QB, OG, LB
    9 Dallas Cowboys - OT, DE, Anything but WR
    10 Washington Redskins - Team
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-04-2011 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Speleen, and Thoey post.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

WR with a broken wheel...needs surgery to have a screw implanted to hold the foot together...and hes going in the top 10?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, it's not that crazy to say that a player who is now viewed as "a legitimate top 10 pick" might still be available at #14. Traditionally, the most popular choices for the very top of the draft are quarterbacks and left tackles. I think our pick will depend significantly on whether or not some of the teams above us decide that the positional need trumps straight talent. The odds of him being available might be lower now, but the upside is that it also could mean another player previously considered a top 10 guy becomes available at a different position.

Keenum is offline Registered User

It all depends on how bad the teams in front of us want a WR. A.J. Green will have to be gone, so we need twelve teams in front of us to want to focus on other positions. Either that, or get ready to trade up. Jones is such a perfect fit for the Rams I think it's more crazy to not trade up if needed than to let him go.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

There are some monster guards in there @ around 350 lbs. If the chinese finger puzzle of draft order makes this happen then WR pressure seems not so desparate.
    "The horror"

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    That's true, Nick. I personally had given up hope on JJ, seeing him too tempting for 10+ teams to pass him by come Draft Day. But I fully agree there is a reallistic possibility. Of those teams several are NOT looking into recruiting a WR. And the Rams could always make something happen for their No. 1 pick.

Ha, I just found this post in the other forum, by Thoey:
    Well fellow Ram fans we will have to hope that atleast three QB's are taken in the top 13.
    Teams needing QB's : Pick #1 Carolina Panthers (is Moore or Clausen the answer)
    Pick #3 Buffalo Bills (Fitzpatrick still not a proven franchise QB)
    Pick #4 Cincinnati Bengals (Carson Palmer dead set on retiring if not traded)
    Pick #5 Arizona Cardinals (Derreck anderson and 2 unknowns)
    Pick #8 Tennessee Titans (What a mess! should of kept Coach Fisher)
    Pick #10 Washington Redskins (Donavan McNabb at around 34)
    Pick #12 Minnesota Vikings (Joe Webb who, Brett Favre and Tarvaris Jackson are finally gone.
    Thats seven teams needing QB's. Now take DT's (Fairly & Darius)CB's (Peterson & Amukamurra)DE's (Bowers & Quinn) OLB (Von Miller) WR (Green).
    The Rams still have a chance to get JJ a slim chance but a chance.
    To bad there is no stud OT's this year.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    WR with a broken wheel...needs surgery to have a screw implanted to hold the foot together...and hes going in the top 10?

[circa 1 year ago] QB with a broken shoulder... needed surgery to hold it together.... and he's going 1st overall?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Is this maybe a case wear green falls to us. Then continues to blow it up on field because he wasn't chosen first.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Is this maybe a case wear green falls to us. Then continues to blow it up on field because he wasn't chosen first.
    I think there's a better chance of Jones making it to the Rams' pick than Green.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think there's a better chance of Jones making it to the Rams' pick than Green.
    I'd agree. Although it is my wish/dream that A.J falls to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast