Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TekeRam

Thread: Blog: Rogers-Cromartie in Horns?

Ram_Mas Guest

Blog: Rogers-Cromartie in Horns?

Earlier this week, we discussed the suggestion of the Rams dealing for Broncos' wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, who does credit Josh McDaniels with turning around his career. But with Mark Clayton coming back, and the Rams pressed tightly against the salary cap, it's an unlikely scenario. Gil Brandt at NFL.com suggests Lloyd as a potential trade chip between Denver and Carolina...for Jimmy Clausen (?!).
    Brandt also suggests Philly CB Dominqiue Rodgers-Cromarite as a potential trade item in a deal to salvage Philadelphia's defense. DRC and Asante Samuel are two players to keep an eye on as Philly is getting desperate. As you know, the Rams have a connection there, and GM Billy Devaney made a deadline deal to send LB Will Witherspoon there for Brandon Gibson in 2009.
    Devaney tried to make a deal last year for Vincent Jackson, but balked at paying San Diego's stupid asking price. Which is to say, that the Rams are not above considering some big deals. Of course, their prospects for the season looked much better at that point. DRC carries much less of a cap hit than Samuel, whose salary this year is almost $6 million. In August, the Eagles were said to be asking for two second-round picks in exchange for Samuel. It's not known whether or not they would move DRC, who would be a better fit for the Rams over the long-term at just 25-years-old. -- Turf Show Times
    Last edited by Nick; -10-13-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rogers-Cromartie in Horns?

I'm a bit confused as to why the Eagles would be open to trading Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, only a few months after acquiring him in the Kevin Kolb trade.

Blogs can sometimes be a good source of news or discussion, but one problem is that often times they pick up and run with any rumor that makes its way out there, regardless of how realistic it is.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Blog: Rogers-Cromartie in Horns?

They'd be open to trading him because their defense is in shambles and they may have found out that they need a linebacker who's actually played a down in the NFL before to make it work. Further, if teams just know they can run on you and your corners won't tackle, then you don't get to play nickel all that often. Lastly, since they just traded for him, they can trade him without any salary cap penalties.

All that said, if we were to do this, it'd be about the only one I'd do it for, just because he still has five years of being in his prime at least and while he's not the best, he's definitely better than we have and would be an awesome pair to Bartell next year.
    ManofGod likes this.
    I believe!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I guarantee you the Rams won't trade for anyone.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Asomugha would be the better deal since his talents are in press coverage.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    They'd be open to trading him because their defense is in shambles and they may have found out that they need a linebacker who's actually played a down in the NFL before to make it work. Further, if teams just know they can run on you and your corners won't tackle, then you don't get to play nickel all that often. Lastly, since they just traded for him, they can trade him without any salary cap penalties.
    Yeah, no offense, but I don't really buy any of these reasons.

The Eagles defense has not been good, but I don't see them as an organization that's going to throw the baby out with the bath water. DRC was part of the Kolb deal for a reason - because the Eagles held a high opinion of the guy. So much so, in fact, that the speculation at the time he was acquired was that Asante Samuel would soon be moved.

I don't see Philadelphia giving up on the guy after less than half a season simply because their defense is not where they expected it, regardless of their need for some talent at linebacker. The reasons you outline as to why DRC would be a good target is exactly why the Eagles wouldn't want to part with him. He's young and is relatively cheap with some long-term potential. Compare that to Samuel, who is older, expensive, and whose days as a top corner are likely numbered.

The blog hits this point home - "In August, the Eagles were said to be asking for two second-round picks in exchange for Samuel. It's not known whether or not they would move DRC." Meaning, this isn't actually news or substantiated rumor but just someone's speculation that has been magnified like always due to the internet.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

If there is any fact to this at all I'd love to have DRC in a Rams uniform, I love his age, size, ability and not a so hefty price tag as the other two big CB's on the Eagles.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

While we are at it, should we trade for Darrelle Revis? I say yes because he is the best corner in the league.