Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Blog: Steve Smith available for a third round pick?

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

Blog: Steve Smith available for a third round pick?

By: VanRam

A report from the New England outlet of Comcast Sports Network said recently that Carolina Panthers WR Steve Smith could be had for a third round pick. For teams needing a wide receiver, like the St. Louis Rams, the idea merits some discussion. However, it's definitely a move with some potentially high opportunity costs attached.

For a team like the Rams, the cons outweigh the pros. Smith turns 32 in May. I know that early thirties doesn't exactly put a player in the home, but it does mark the downhill side of his career. If the Rams had more stability, more known commodities at receiver, Smith might be a nice complement.

Smith's name came up in trade rumors during the season. At that time, it was believed he could be had for a second-round pick. I brushed it aside then, and still do even at a reduced price tag.

The third round is valuable real estate. Right now, it looks like the Rams have some very nice options at running back there, from DeMarco Murray to Shane Vereen. One of those players could have just as big of an impact on the Rams offense as Smith, adding a much-needed new dimension to the backfield. That player would also have his best years ahead of him, unlike Smith. Opportunity cost, business school 101 stuff, and you can clearly see why.

It's very possible that Carolina will let Smith walk before the season starts anyway, in a classic rebuilding move of dumping well-paid veterans. Ring a bell Rams fans? Smith would make more sense as a free agent acquisition for the Rams. How he fits is less clear, but any player that can do what Smith can do will fit.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: Blog: Steve Smith available for a third round pick?

No thank u. He is a munchkin like the rest of wide outs that we already have. Also he was quoted saying he doesn't want to be a number one wide out anymore and that's what we need not another 5'9" wide out.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -03-10-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I still prefer Julio Jones in the draft, though that doesn't look good. The free agents aren't too intriguing besides Sidney Rice. Also, he was tendered so lets see if the new CBA removes that. Then we can make a move on Rice and still grab our player at #14 without having to go after a 32 year old trash talker that's 5'9.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'm honestly not trying to be controversial here but this blog like many others from the same author remind me of a Sky News section on Charlie Sheen that I saw last night.

In it, two talking heads, one a 'showbiz' columnist, the other a publicist (who ironically,I'd never heard of) gravely intoned that from what they had seen and heard, Charlie Sheen was likely headed for a tragedy of sorts.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I think that he is a great WR, not like how he was but still gots a little bit there. Dont think he will be had by us at all anyways and im still pissed of his touchdown catch in double OT in the playoffs in 2005 was it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    I think that he is a great WR, not like how he was but still gots a little bit there. Dont think he will be had by us at all anyways and im still pissed of his touchdown catch in double OT in the playoffs in 2005 was it?
    Had the money been the money that day smith wouldn't of had a chance to do that and maybe we goto the superbowl since carolina did that year. Had wilkins not missed what was it two or three field goals we would of beat them.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Wilkins had one of the greatest games of any kicker in nfl history in that game, including i believe four field goals over 40 (most of which were over 45) and a recovery of his own onside kick. The miss was from 52 and the snap was off.

Many things went wrong in that game, but we would not have been in it if it wasnt for money.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    C-Mob 71 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Available for a 3rd rounder?

Yea, I'm sure he is. The Panthers would take that 3rd round pick and run away laughing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Wilkins had one of the greatest games of any kicker in nfl history in that game, including i believe four field goals over 40 (most of which were over 45) and a recovery of his own onside kick. The miss was from 52 and the snap was off.

Many things went wrong in that game, but we would not have been in it if it wasnt for money.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Thanks for the refresher. I do remember he did have a recovered onside kick so I guess it is hard to blame him. Ill just go back to old faithful of blaming bulger, he had 3 int's that game so ill just blame him lol.

edit: btw he had shorter field goals than you remember but he had 5

1st Rams Jeff Wilkins 20 yard field goal 0 3
    2nd Rams Jeff Wilkins 26 yard field goal 0 6
    Panthers Muhsin Muhammad 0 yard fumble return (John Kasay kick) 7 6
    Rams Jeff Wilkins 24 yard field goal 7 9
    Panthers John Kasay 45 yard field goal 10 9
    3rd Rams Jeff Wilkins 51 yard field goal 10 12
    Panthers John Kasay 52 yard field goal 13 12
    Panthers John Kasay 34 yard field goal 16 12
    4th Panthers Brad Hoover 7 yard rush (John Kasay kick) 23 12
    Rams Marshall Faulk 1 yard rush (Dane Looker pass from Marc Bulger) 23 20
    Rams Jeff Wilkins 33 yard field goal 23 23
    OT Panthers Steve Smith 69 yard pass from Jake Delhomme
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -03-10-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Smith is almost certainly going to retire with more impressive numbers than any current RAM WR will & he might even outperform them for another year or two but is an older & probably higher-pedigree version of what we already have worth that kind of price?

The Rams need,imo, their version of the other piece of the Panther puzzle that helped SS be so successful; the next Muhsin Muhammad (sp?), in other words. Unless you believe Danario is that guy. You & his Mom.

I also agree with those who think Smith's a classic aging vet whose team has collapsed around him & is looking for the last hurrah; much more likely to take a reduced role on a SB contender,imo, to cap his career, not a borderline playoff contender which I think is likely the Rams' rep at this point.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Sure, let's go ahead and add another huge injury risk to our already fragile receiving corps. Our IR is looking a little thin this year, anyway.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Have enough small guys as it is..

shower beers is offline Registered User

We still need all the draft picks we can get at this point. Rebuilding isn't done in the first two rounds.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I'm honestly not trying to be controversial here but this blog like many others from the same author remind me of a Sky News section on Charlie Sheen that I saw last night.

In it, two talking heads, one a 'showbiz' columnist, the other a publicist (who ironically,I'd never heard of) gravely intoned that from what they had seen and heard, Charlie Sheen was likely headed for a tragedy of sorts.
    Quoted for the truth!

Getting a little sick of the copy/paste of meaningless blogs with content that (I take it) most of this forum can figure out themselves.

While I'm at it a new Nick mock after pro days!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nobody is available for trade right now. Not until there's a new CBA.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast