Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BEER is offline Registered User

Blog: Why Sam Bradford will be a bust.

Wrote by some guy named Chris Cipriano.

The NFL Draft is the ultimate crap-shoot.
    No matter how much scouting is done, there are bound to be busts.
    From the first pick to the last pick, there is no guarantee that any player will live up to expectations.
    Now earlier, I touched on which players from the 2010 NFL Draft I thought would be busts , but I left one player out.
    I did this because this player is bigger than the rest. He has the most expectations of any other player in the draft. He was the number one overall pick. He is Sam Bradford, and he will be a bust in the NFL.
    Now Iím not saying he will be on the JaMarcus Russell or Tim Couch level, but yet he wonít be on the Payton Manning level either. I see him more alike to David Carr or Alex Smith.
    He simply has too many questions marks and too many things have to go right for him to be an elite NFL quarterback.
    The first and most worrisome concern about Bradford is his durability. He hurt his throwing shoulder twice last season and needed surgery on it after he re-injured it.
    Dr. James Andrews, who operated on Bradford, said his shoulder will be fine, but really what is he supposed to say? If he says he may be more vulnerable to further injury or it may never be as strong he will cost Bradford millions.
    Even if it is fine, Iím sure Bradford will think twice before stepping up in the pocket to deliver that throw knowing his shoulder will be exposed to a possible injury.
    Another concern is how we will transition from the spread offense he ran while at Oklahoma. Bradford rarely had to read defenses and coverageís and seldom went through more than read on each throw. And when he did go to his secondary reads his primary strength, his accuracy, dipped dramatically.
    We have seen plenty of quarterbacks excel in the spread at Oklahoma and then go on to do nothing in the NFL (Jason White, Josh Huepel). White even won a Heisman like Bradford, and granted Bradford has an edge in psychical tools, but history isnít on his side.
    I also have worries about the situation he is going into. While at Oklahoma, he was surrounded by NFL talent at all positions. In St. Louis, he is going to a team that has won six games in the past three seasons combined.
    In college his offensive line was tremendous. He rarely faced pressure in face and he could stay back in the pocket and wait for his receivers to get open. He wonít have that luxury in St. Louis.
    The Rams offensive line leaves a lot to be desired. They surrendered 44 sacks last season. Bradford doesnít have a good feel for pressure and I fear when he faces a NFL pass rush heíll panic and he never showed much ability to throw on the run and make plays with his feet. Iím afraid this could turn into a David Carr situation, where Bradford gets sacked so much his psyche is messed with.
    Speaking of David Carr, at least he had Andre Johnson to throw to for a few years. Bradford doesnít have anyone close to that. The Rams projected starting receivers right now are Donnie Avery and Brandon Gibson, who have 135 catches and 9 touchdowns between them for their careers .
    You could argue that he had better receivers at Oklahoma where he threw to Jermaine Gresham (first rounder), Malcolm Kelly (second rounder), and Juaquin Iglesias (third round).
    The final concern I have about Bradford is his throwing motion. He doesnít posses a classic throwing motion and at times at times he drops down to a three quarters release.
    Mike Mayock, of the NFL Network, described his motion as if he were ďpushingĒ the ball. Now, he can succeed with this throwing motion, but itís not ideal.
    He has the potential to be a franchise quarterback, but there are far too many question marks and things that have to go right for him to be successful in the NFL.
    When itís all said and done Sam Bradford will go down as the latest bust from the ultimate crap-shoot, the NFL Draft.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -05-27-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Link edited out.

MACD is offline Registered User

Re: Why Sam Bradford will be a bust.

As to the comparison to other OU qb's: Heupel didn't have half the arm of Bradford, and White couldn't make it through training camp on those two terrible knees.

As to throwing motion: Very similar to Phillip Rivers...it works fine, and very quick.

As to the rest: Blah, blah, blah...nothing new here.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

If he wants anyone to take his opinions on quarterbacks seriously he probably should at least spell Peyton Manning correctly.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Totally agree w/you here MAC (especially on the article's silly "blah3x"). A belated Welcome to the Clan to you, BTW!

Rather than SB being a bust, I think odds are better that he'll have a bust in the HOF.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-28-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Format

shower beers is offline Registered User

This guy doesn't realize he's a few months late on this assessment. Is there an original thought in this entire article?!

rammiser is offline Registered User

This guy obviousley has never stepped foot on a football field or a field for any sport for that matter. He said that Bradford would think twice about stepping up in the pocket because he's worried about his shoulder is just b.s. I dont know about you but competitiors don't think about stuff like that. I've had cracked ribs,broken fingers,and a broken big toe. I played with the broken big toe which took forever to heel and it was very painful, before and after my games. During the games it never crossed my mind and even if it was hurting I pushed through it. Guys playing sports don't worry about crap like man maybe i shouldnt step up someone my hit my exposed shoulder. Give me a freaking break. It is obvious to me they will give sport writing jobs to just anyone that shows up with a pen in hand.
    Just Fix It

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Its basically Copy/Paste of January Bradford "concerns"...

I guess the players we saw last year will be the only players Sam Bradford ever has to work with during his entire tenure here in Saint Louis and none of those players will get any better..

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    As to the comparison to other OU qb's: Heupel didn't have half the arm of Bradford, and White couldn't make it through training camp on those two terrible knees.

As to throwing motion: Very similar to Phillip Rivers...it works fine, and very quick.

As to the rest: Blah, blah, blah...nothing new here.
    I thought it was funny as well. Blah, blah, blah is also what I thought as well. I think the guy is trying to hard to be something he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Its basically Copy/Paste of January Bradford "concerns"...

I guess the players we saw last year will be the only players Sam Bradford ever has to work with during his entire tenure here in Saint Louis and none of those players will get any better..
    Spot on. On another note, I think personally that Bradford will be as good or better than Rivers.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

The guy said bradford has many question marks but i think he answered most of the injury related questions through the draft process and when he talks durability Every player gets injured at times unfortunately for bradford it was in a bad time. But he recovered well and still got picked 1st.

But honestly guys this is all we are going to hear on bradford till he goes out there and plays

Varg6 is offline Registered User

One of the most unconvincing articles I've ever read. There's no point in speculating whether or not he will be a bust or a superstar. Personally, I think he's going to be a great QB and that's all that needs to be said at this outrageously early stage in his career.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Aw, c'mon guys, this guy says Sam "has an edge in psychical tools".

That's new & very encouraging. I thought he might get a promo deal with ESPN but I didn't know he actually had ESP.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Article is complete rubbish (so bad I had to use the word rubbish when I'm not from england). I am excited bout SB at qb with him and gilyard coming in together I see some major potentional there to be great for a long time.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I enjoy how he first makes multiple statements about the draft being so unpredictable and a "crapshoot", yet is certain Bradford will be a complete bust.

NEXT!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Oh hey good find there BEER.

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Wrote by some guy named Chris Cipriano.

Sportswriting is the ultimate crap-shoot.
    No matter how much talking is done, there are bound to be people who don't know what they are talking about.
    From ESPN to NFL Network, there is no guarantee that any sports writer or commentator knows what the hell they are saying.
    Now earlier, I touched Tiger Woods, but that is a story for a different time.
    I did this because this player is bigger than the rest. He has the most expectations of any other golfer on the PGA Tour. Anyways, my name is Chris Cipriano, and I am a sports writing bust.
    I am even worse than Todd McShay and Jamie Dukes.
    I simply eat too many donuts, and sit on my computer all day looking at adult sites to be any use to NFL fans.
    The first and most worrisome concern about myself is my intelligence.
    Dr. James Andrews, who is a reknown brainiologist, said my brain has an unusual low number of brain cells, but he says I will be fine, but really what is he supposed to say? If he says I am dumb I may have punched him.
    I think my brain is fine, but some people think that this is an injury concern that might prevent me from being a star on the world wide web.
    Another concern about my writing career is how I will transition from the basement of my mother's house, to the guest room in the corner of the second story.
    We have seen plenty of excel in the basement, in the comfort of darkness and lonliness, but history has shown that sports writers who transition to the real world are busts.
    I also have worries about the situation the I am going into. While in the basement, I had endless amounts of soda pop and fruit roll-ups. Now, my mother says that when I move up, I have to buy everything by myself.
    In the basement I had no pressure. I could do what I wanted. But now, I have the pressure of the atmosphere, the little kids playing on the street everything is pressuring me!
    The second story leaves a lot to be desired. It has too much sunlight for my liking, too futon is too big, and the blinds are not durable. I donít have a good feel for this girly stuff and I fear when I get up there, my skin will bubble, my eyes will melt in their sockets, and I will transform into a liquid blob of mucus. Iím afraid this could turn into a Fear Factor session.
    Speaking of Fear Factor, at least they paid well. Writing articles sucks. So all I do is write mass quantities of crap to make myself have more chance of getting more money. Maybe I should eat cockroaches for money instead.
    The final concern I have about myself is my typing motion. I don't possess the classic typing technique, and instead I have to resort to the "poke-poke" form of typing. This is not good because many good writers like Armen Dacity have very good technique, not the pokey pokey one.
    Mike Mayock, of the NFL Network, described me as if I was a little third grade kid typing for the first time. I don't know if that is a compliment or an insult.
    I have the potential to be a multimillionare sports writer if all I could do was silence the critics about my question marks.
    But when it's all said and done, I will probably go down as the biggest loser in sports writing history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast