RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Bob Ligashesky biggest offseason addition?

Just wondering with you guys. Do you guys kind of in the back of your mind think that Bob Ligashesky is the biggest offseason pickup? I mean look what he has done with our special teams this year. Punt Block for a TD and a Kick Return for a TD. Let alone our coverage is getting better. What do you guys think?

RamsFan16

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bob Ligashesky biggest offseason addition?

I'd say no.

Bobby April has demonstrated in Buffalo that he's a damn good ST coach, but he couldn't succeed here because he wasn't given the horses to man his units.

BL is doing a good job, but he's also benefitted from having better personnel to work with on coverage units.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think liggy has done a good job, but i give a lot of the credit to martz and the front office for finally paying attention to special teams personnel in the off season. It is certainly true that our special teams have improved, notwithstanding the debacle of biblical magnitude against the whiners that really cost us the game in week one along with some terrible punting vs. seattle that also cost us. Keep in mind that improved with our special teams is still a relative term, given how horrible we were in the past. The improvement is great, i would like to see a punt return greater than 5 yards once in a while.

At this exact moment i would say that the #1 addition to this team in the off season using the criteria of how much better we are today at a specific position that we were a year ago is one mr. Baby Alyx. Despite his rookie issues and noted pass catching skills, Baby Alyx is a massive upgrade over the prior guys we have rotated at that spot. Second place is chris claiborne.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I have to go with Claiborne and Barron.

When Claiborne is on the field. He is a force.

Barron is a massive upgrade over everyone that the rams inserted into that RT position.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I think we have to give Bob L. a lot of credit. The ST improvement is great. When I heard he was picked for the job, I balked and moaned and figured we were "Marmied" again. But he has proven me wrong. And I'm glad. Its so nice to think of our ST as at least average instead of a gaping wound.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I think liggy has done a good job, but i give a lot of the credit to martz and the front office for finally paying attention to special teams personnel in the off season.
    I think it's hard to give credit to Martz and the F.O. because it took them too long to do anything about it.

Shouldn't Martz and the F.O. paid attention about 3 years ago?

If they had done something about it when Bobby April was here we would have the best ST coach in the league.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

RealRam is online now Registered User

Still too early to tell for sure. I would want to wait till the playoffs.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

A blocked punt? A blocked FG? 2 STs TDs in half a season? Dumped a drafted P mid-stream? Replaced both KR and PR as soon as practical? Somebody deserves credit.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree 100% that we should have addressed these issues sooner. however, the thread was about improvements this off season and on that basis and under the theory of better late than never, i still give martz and the front office credit. I agree 100% that had we made the personnel commitment sooner, things would have been different with bobby april, which has been my point all along coaching wise, applying it both to the defense and the special teams. The quality of the players is the most important element to on field performance, not coaching. i am not saying coaching is irrelevant, only that talent is more important. thus, bobby april is coach of the year in buffalo and fired here.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Still too early to tell for sure. I would want to wait till the playoffs.
    I agree it was not very good early in the season but they have improved a great deal. Its to close to Halloween so I want to see who they really are when the take their mask off at the end of the season.

Good job so far but not ready to say fixed.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-02-2005 at 10:22 PM.