Thread: The Body Count

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The Body Count

The body count

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/26/2009

The Rams have been in a canyon-sized rut these last three seasons, with a 6-40 record since the start of 2007. Perhaps it's not surprising then, that the team is in an injury rut as well.

All teams have injuries, but the Rams continue to have more than most. And try as they might under first-year head coach Steve Spagnuolo, they couldn't bring those numbers down this season. In fact, the basic numbers are strikingly similar in all three seasons, according to a Post-Dispatch analysis:

— In 2007, the Rams had 12 players on injured reserve, had 27 players miss at least one game, and had players miss 152 games overall due to injury.

— In 2008, it was 12 players on IR, 27 players out at least one game, and 156 games missed because of injury.

— This season, it's 12 players on IR, 27 players out at least one game with injury, and 154 games missed with injury. The 2009 numbers will go up from there because the season's not over.

The '09 Rams very easily could have 14 or 15 players on injured reserve because quarterback Marc Bulger (fractured shine bone) and offensive tackle Jason Smith (concussion) won't play again this season. They already have been ruled out for Sunday's game at Arizona. Cornerback Quincy Butler (ankle) also could be done for the season; he also has been ruled out of the Arizona game.

"This has been a crazy year once again as far as injuries and infections and the flu bug going around," defensive end Leonard Little said.

Speaking of which, Little will miss his second consecutive game Sunday because of a knee infection.

"But as a football player, you can't worry about it," Little said. "You've just got to keep trying to win games."

Easier said than done for a struggling team. Given their current talent base, it's hard enough for the Rams to win with a full roster. But when the injuries hit, it becomes double jeopardy because the Rams' depth isn't as good as that of more established teams.

The injuries seem to come in bunches at certain positions. At wide receiver, for example, the Rams have three players on injured reserve: Laurent Robinson, Keenan Burton, and rookie Brooks Foster. On the defensive line, C.J. Ah You, Adam Carriker, and Gary Gibson all are done for the year. Carriker never even made it to the regular season, suffering a season-ending shoulder injury during the preseason.

So far, only 16 Rams players have made it through every game this season. That total includes:

— Wide receiver Donnie Avery, who has been in and out of several games with a variety of ailments.

— Linebacker James Laurinaitis, who needed help from a teammate putting on his suit coat after the Tennessee game because of a shoulder injury.

— Center Jason Brown, who somehow managed to play against the Houston Texans despite being diagnosed with the H1N1 virus — or swine flu — earlier that week.

"We train hard; in the offseason we start training in March," Little said. "Some people train before that to prepare for the season. So there's not much you can do to avoid (injuries). It's just something that happens all the time. ... Some people get lucky and don't have any injuries that hinder them. But some people are unlucky and have injuries that really cost them the season."

A little luck never hurts. It's no secret that the more successful teams in the NFL frequently are the healthiest.

The Rams' 1999 season Super Bowl championship team had only six players on injured reserve. Only two of those six, quarterback Trent Green and center John Flannery, were scheduled to be starters.

Two years later the Rams' Super Bowl XXXVI runner-up squad had only five players on IR. The only starter among that group, and a part-time one at that, was rookie defensive tackle Damione Lewis.

In comparison, nine of the 12 Rams players on injured reserve this season had started at least one game, or in the case of Carriker, were scheduled to be starters.

Sunday's opponent, playoff-bound Arizona, has a modest five players on IR, only one of whom — left tackle Mike Gandy — is a full-time starter.

As always, Spagnuolo is focused on this week's game, and this week's game alone. But even he conceded earlier in the week that the Rams will study injuries and how they might be avoided, once the offseason arrives.

"We'll certainly do that," Spagnuolo said. "A lot of these are more unfortunate ones. When you start talking about fractures and breaks in the game of football, I'm not sure how you avoid that. You don't want them to start playing any slower. You still want 'em to play fast. But we've got to look at all that."

Rams on IR

For the third year in a row, the Rams have 12 players on the injured reserve list:

DE C.J. Ah You* - knee

FS Oshiomogho Atogwe* - shoulder

DB Eric Bassey - knee

OG Jacob Bell* -- hamstring

WR Keenan Burton* -- knee

DT Adam Carriker* -- shoulder

TE Daniel Fells* -- thigh bone

CB Bradley Fletcher* -- knee

WR Brooks Foster -- ankle

DT Gary Gibson* -- ankle

LS Chris Massey -- knee

WR Laurent Robinson* -- leg

* Started at least one game in '09, or projected starter.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: The Body Count

That list is horrid.

Better luck next year I guess...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post

Better luck next year I guess...

yeh but we been sayin that for 2 years straight now lol

Al_B_Badd is offline Registered User

In 99 and 2001, the Rams home field was basically concrete with a thin plastic carpet glued on top of it. Since 2006 (I think) it's been the field turf. I think it might be the turf causing a lot of the problem.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B_Badd View Post
    In 99 and 2001, the Rams home field was basically concrete with a thin plastic carpet glued on top of it. Since 2006 (I think) it's been the field turf. I think it might be the turf causing a lot of the problem.
    Except it seems as if many of our injuries crop up in practice. Perhaps the facilities and the staff need reviewing.

macrammer is online now Registered User

It would be interesting to see the stats on all teams the past three years in regards to injuries. Seems like the Rams are right up there with having the most but I cannot verify that. To understand the details might lead to a decrease. Something seems amiss in terms of volume given injuries are a NFL byproduct.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

i think a significant amount of those injuries occurred on the road this year. So its not necessarily OUR turf and facilities. just dumb luck.....

i find it sadly funny how everything happens to the rams it seems. From big plays (i swear every record and career high seems to be achieved against the rams) to insane injuries (jason smith gets sever concussion that puts him out for season right when he was coming along as a lineman.) Is it something in the air?

Trevor is offline Registered User

All one big coincidence...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

it is time to look at least, 3 years in a row major injuries and alot of them.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B_Badd View Post
    good point, when they played on the concrete it seems like they stayed healthier than they do now on the more player friendly turf or so they say.I don't have any numbers to back this up but outside of minor stuff for the most part the GSOT years were healthy ones.