throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Bonus Bytes: What's Going On With Jackson?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bonus Bytes: What's Going On With Jackson?

Bonus Bytes: What's going on with Jackson?

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Here's an excerpt about the Rams from the Daily Bernie Bytes blog:

* Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network and NFL.com is saying that Rams RB Steven Jackson is unhappy with his contract and wants a new deal. I ran this past the spies at Rams Park, and this is what I was told: if SJ39 is upset with his contract, no one has informed Rams executives or coaches. The Rams have heard nothing from Jackson or his agent, EugeneParker, about the RB's contract situation.

I respect Lombardi ... so what's going on here?

With all the Trent Richardson talk, perhaps this is inevitable ... that some in the media would view the Rams' drafting the Alabama RB as a brewing controversy; this would be the first stirring of the pot.

Perhaps this was a timely nugget, put in place two or three days before the draft to see if a team is interested in trading for Jackson.

Jackson and the agent may desire to open a conversation about a new contract, and this is a way of dropping a major hint.

I doubt that Richardson will drop to the Rams at No. 6 overall; so this could be a moot point. But Jackson, nearly 29, is still a strong RB. At some point, the Rams will line up his successor. Just as the Rams did back in 2004 when they drafted Jackson to replace Marshall Faulk. It's unavoidable.

Faulk was insecure about it. I would understand it if Jackson had some anxiety about his future. That's human. I don't rip him for that.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bonus Bytes: What's Going On With Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    • Jackson and the agent may desire to open a conversation about a new contract, and this is a way of dropping a major hint.
    That makes no sense at all. Whether or not Jackson wants a new contract, he has absolutely ZERO leverage right now.

Think about it.

If the Rams were to take Richardson, Jackson would not get a new contract (at least not one for more money). If anything, he'd be traded.

If the Rams don't take Richardson, Jackson would, once again, NOT get a new contract. Why would the Rams need to renegotiate the deal? What is Jackson going to do, hold out when he's due $7M this year?

Allow me to offer an alternate explanation: Mike Lombardi lied. He stated a theory as a fact and, by refusing to acknowledge it was only a theory, lied.

Why won't Bernie just say that? Two reasons. One, media members want to be known as having each other's backs, as they sometimes need to share information. You don't want to get the reputation of ripping your counterparts. Second, because ALL of these media people do this. They all want to seem more "in the know" than they really are. If you pull back the curtain on one person, you risk having the world see the truth about the media in general.

I'm officially done with this Jackson nonsense. Until I hear something from Jackson or the Rams, I'm filing it away as complete BS.
    laram0 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Bonus Bytes: What's Going On With Jackson?

With all the Trent Richardson talk, perhaps this is inevitable ... that some in the media would view the Rams' drafting the Alabama RB as a brewing controversy; this would be the first stirring of the pot.
    Is the first stirring of the pot, based on something SJ or his agent said? Or is it just a brewing controversy and some media types wanting to sell some air time.