Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bookends

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: Bookends

Jason Taylor is a GREAT DE, and if he dosent retire, he will be elite for a few more years, but he's not getting any younger, and age matters.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Did the Rams draft Marshall. Warner, Marc...see the trend here. We drafte Kennedy,Hill, D Lewis, Trung...see the trend here.
    Comparing this trade to the likes of Marshall Faulk or Marc Bulger is kidding yourself. Faulk was IN the prime of his carreer and Bulger hadn't even hit his yet. Warner just happened, who could've predicted that?

Yes, Taylor IS going to play THIS year. We can agree to disagree on this, but no way would I feel good about trading a 2nd round pick for a guy that has already contemplated retirement after the previous 2 seasons. Like I said, YES, he could add to this team for one year, but I'm in for the long haul. I'm a proponent of BUILDING defenses, which is not necessarily all through the draft, but my idea of building is NOT trading away an early pick for an aged veteran that has allready uttered the words retirement.
    Last edited by OldSchoolRamFan; -03-19-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: yep

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The most I'd consider offering is a 4th round pick.
    I'd feel much better about that than #33 overall.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Comparing this trade to the likes of Marshall Faulk or Marc Bulger is kidding yourself. Faulk was IN the prime of his carreer and Bulger hadn't even hit his yet. Warner just happened, who could've predicted that?
    I'm just saying we did not draft those guys, as far as Marsahll goes, some Ram FO people did not want him. RB don't play for 12 plus years. How many good years did we get? 1999,2000,2001,2002.

Yes, Taylor IS going to play THIS year. We can agree to disagree on this, but no way would I feel good about trading a 2nd round pick for a guy that has already contemplated retirement after the previous 2 seasons.
    Yeah a second might be a bit much, but it all depends on what we do with it, TE anyone?
    RB slash smallish FB.

I'm a proponent of BUILDING defenses, which is not necessarily all through the draft, but my idea of building is NOT trading away an early pick for an aged veteran that has allready uttered the words retirement.
    I agree, I think Bill wants picks.

Here is a guy we brought in more in line with Taylor. Rams on draft day in exchange for picks in the second and fourth rounds, he was in his 10th year or so, did a nice job for us.
    Aeneas Williams. So if the price was right.

Here is a guy we brought in more in line with Taylor. Rams on draft day in exchange for picks in the second and fourth rounds, he was in his 10th year or so, did a nice job for us.
    I won't disagree with you at all on that one, but that was also at a time in a completely different scenario. For one, at that time we were trying to maintain a run of power and already had a very, very solid team. Two, that was also a year when we had THREE first round draft picks. Different trades under different situations are difficult to compare. I just believe that we're so far from that situation right now and trading away our 2nd pick for one, possibly two years of production, would only worsen our situation going forward. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the Rams to actually have a solid defense that doesn't leave me cringing everytime the opposing quarterback drops back, so I can only speculate on what the answer is. My speculation is that a costly trade for Jason Taylor is not that answer. Could I be wrong? well, I usually am, which is why I'm typing away from a Colorado suburb instead of being hired to voice my opinions. Go figure...:notworking:

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

This would have been good 5yrs ago. Now you would have two DE that cannot stop the run.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Having Jason Taylor in the HORNS would be special for sure. The biggest question is how much longer will he be playing or at least at a high level?
    He could play 2 more years or surpise everyone and play 4 to 5 more years but that's just it he's a big gamble. Now if we felt we were 1 player away from reaching the elite status in the NFL I would be all for it.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I in a similar thread, but it bears repeating: I would rather suffer through one tough year rebuilding than have one good year and suffer through many bad years afterward because we don't have our own homegrown talent. At pick no. 33 in the draft, we should have a chance at a number of borderline first round players.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Since we are BS with trades that will never ever happen. I would rather trade our first for someone like Jared Allen over anyone in the draft. But, that will never happen and Taylor while a great DE is WAAAAAAYYY too old.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's a lot easier to trade away a second round pick when you're a ten-win playoff team on the verge of another run to the Super Bowl.

Rambos is offline Registered User

It's a lot easier to trade away a second round pick when you're a ten-win playoff team on the verge of another run to the Super Bowl.
    Thats true, we did it with Marshall and we were about to become the worst team of the 90 but Taylor is no Marshall.

ten-win playoff team
    I might think we are better then we are. We went 8-8 in 06 just missed the playoffs. Last year I thought we would win the west. In 07 we never got to see how good or bad we really are, I know we are not a 3-13 team. This year with Al and a new playbook, which is more like the old playbook we will bounce back. If we are 6-10 I will be stunned into reality and say it is time to start over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-19-2008, 09:58 AM