Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Boos cascade down on Brown in return to Seattle

Boos cascade down on Brown in return to Seattle

'It felt very weird,' says former Hawks kicker
    By GREG JOHNS
    P-I REPORTER

It started from the moment Josh Brown walked onto his old familiar Qwest Field turf Sunday afternoon.

The Alex Rodriguez treatment. Boos cascading down on his head. The loudest and longest outpouring of venom toward a visiting player ever displayed by a Seahawks crowd.

The former Seattle kicker said earlier in the week he hoped for a 50-50 response from his old home crowd in his first game back since signing with the St. Louis Rams in the offseason.

Instead, he was buffeted by a continual chorus of unhappiness from the 68,012 fans who enjoyed watching their Seahawks handle the Rams 37-13 on a day Brown provided much of the limited opposition with field goals from 43 and 29 yards.

Two fans stood in the front row behind the Rams bench wearing orange prison jump suits that said "Prisoner to the Businessman" across the front in reference to Brown's comment about why he left Seattle six months ago.

Another walked around the stadium wearing an old Brown jersey from Seattle, with the No. 3 turned into a dollar sign.

Every time Brown stepped on the field, including the opening kickoff, boos rained down from every corner of Qwest Field. Steve Hutchinson angered the Seahawks faithful when he signed with Minnesota in 2006, but it proved harder to single out the offensive lineman when he returned to Qwest.

Brown triggered the emotional response and then trotted out in full view every time the Rams lined up for a kick. By game's end, he'd heard them all.

"Somebody even said something about me wearing 'granny panties,' " Brown said in a quiet Rams locker room. "I don't know where that one came from, but whatever makes you laugh. I was laughing at half of them. It was good.

"A lot of the Seahawks guys were saying they'd never heard anybody get booed so loud. I was like, 'I don't know what to tell you guys. Keep working and you'll get booed, too.' "

Brown feels he did what needed to be done from a professional standpoint. His move to St. Louis was fueled largely by the Rams' offer of more guaranteed money up front. He questioned how the Seahawks valued his worth as a kicker.

Now he's viewed as the villain in Seattle, the kicker who sold out the team he spent his first five seasons of professional football with and helped reach the Super Bowl in 2005.

"If people think I'm a Judas, I don't know who I betrayed," Brown said. "Because my family is awfully happy and those are the people I care about the most."

Brown, 29, insisted he wasn't surprised by the reception.

"Absolutely not," he said. "We were expecting full out (booing), but we hoped for 50-50."

He got everything Hawks' fans could hurl, including a handful of peanut shells tossed on his head as he ran out the tunnel to a chorus of catcalls afterward, the last Rams player off the field after exchanging well wishes with former teammates.

Outside of the outcome, he said the day went well.

"I talked to a lot of the guys, even during field goals," he said. "Guys making cracks, telling me to please miss one. We just had fun out there. Those are my buddies. I had a blast. But the object of this game is to win, so obviously it wasn't that fun."

Brown said he blocked out everything, but clearly he was paying attention.

"They didn't even announce my first name when I was kicking field goals," he said. "They just said, 'Brown.' So even the announcers had a good time. But I get booed and yelled at and called all kinds of things in every stadium we go to."

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren shook Brown's hand before the game and wished him well.

"He's a good guy," Holmgren said. "He was great for us when he was here."

But now he's not here. Now he's running out of the visitor's locker room, setting up on the other side of the field and feeling the wrath of the Seahawks faithful that used to sing his praises.

"It felt very weird," Brown said. "But it's just because it's only been a short time. It'll feel weird this time. And next time it'll feel just fine. But I have a special place in my heart for this place. I always will."

P-I reporter Greg Johns can be reached at 206-448-8314 or gregjohns@seattlepi.com.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Boos cascade down on Brown in return to Seattle

Ex-Seahawk Brown unsure if he'll get jeers, cheers
    Kicker returns for first time Sunday
    By CLARE FARNSWORTH
    P-I REPORTER

RENTON -- A lot has changed in Josh Brown's life since he decided to change teams in March.

In addition to jumping from the Seahawks to the St. Louis Rams on the first day of the free-agency signing period, he married Molly Brown, became the stepfather to her two young sons, bought an offseason home in Chelan, moved closer to his family in Foyil, Okla., and bought a new pickup with part of the $4 million signing bonus that was included in the five-year, $14.2 million he got from the Rams.

OK, so not everything has changed about the clutch kicker who returns to Qwest Field on Sunday for his new team's game against his old team. He still gets mistaken for Matt Hasselbeck, a common occurrence during Brown's four-year stay in Seattle.

"It actually happened at a Rascal Flatts concert here in St. Louis," Brown said Wednesday during a conference-call interview. "It still happens.

"If I heard Matt right, I think it happened to him, too. Somebody told Matt they were sorry that he went to St. Louis and that they would miss him."

Brown isn't sure whether to expect a hit or miss reception from the fans that used to cheer his game-winning field goals -- including two against the Rams in 2006, when the Seahawks swept the home-and-home series with their NFC West rivals.

"It's been the question that everybody's been asking, and honestly, I don't know what's going to come," he said. "I'm praying for 50-50. I'm praying I get booed half the time and 'yay' the other half.

"I had a lot of fans there and a lot of great people that supported me. But then again, there were a lot of people that were mad at me when I left. I'm going to come out and just kind of experience it as it goes."

Count Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren as 50-50 when it comes to those sentiments. He did not want Brown to leave and actually intervened in the negotiations to try to get Brown to stay. He was mad -- no, disappointed -- when it didn't happen.

"I did not want him to leave, and I think he knows that," Holmgren said.

So why did Brown leave?

He presented a lot of reasons -- from a better structuring of the contract offer, to kicking in a domed stadium, to being closer to his hometown so his soon-to-be 72-year-old father can come see his games.

"There were things done and said, and the way they wanted to do things is not the way I wanted to do things," Brown said. "Sometimes, a fresh start is the best thing for a player. With the situation that was presented to me, that was exactly what I needed to do."

Unmentioned was the fact that Brown was miffed that the team had not tried to sign him to a contract extension before he became a free agent. He also felt slighted once the negotiations on a new deal began.

"There were things said and there were opinions shared that I didn't really care for," Brown said. "I don't hate anybody. I felt like they didn't really see me as a major value. They compared me to kickers in the league that I really didn't think were of the same caliber."

That's when Holmgren got involved. He asked Brown what it would take to close the deal. He then went to club president Tim Ruskell and salary-cap guru John Idzik. Holmgren then got back to Brown, but Brown never got back to Holmgren.

One sticking point was the signing bonus. The cap-strapped Seahawks offered $1 million upfront and the other $3 million in guaranteed money. The Rams offered it in a lump sum.

"I made more money upfront, and I did it in a shorter amount of time, where I'll be able to get another contract when I'm 32 years old," Brown said. "It just fit better for me."

So Brown is gone. But he's definitely not forgotten.

In part, because of his infamous quotes during a radio interview in which Brown said he was no longer "a slave to the businessman" and "it's not just about the money, it's about winning." On Wednesday, Brown said, "I think it was taken a little bit out of context. But I also think that was an athlete error, allowing the media to get me mad and reacting. ... Sometimes you've just got to eat your words and learn from the lesson of getting upset when you shouldn't."

Hasselbeck couldn't resist taking a good-natured shot at his former teammate, and look-alike, during his conference-call interview with reporters who cover the Rams.

Asked whether he thought the Seahawks fans would boo or cheer Brown, Hasselbeck offered, "They'll boo him and they'll throw things at him. They'll probably make him cry, to be honest.

"I know Josh. They'll probably make him cry."

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Amidst all of this he still nailed 2 fgs. This guy is a true pro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Brown is good, and will make some clutch kicks for you, but he isn't perfect. Don't let it blindside you when he misses 2 FGs in a game sometime.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

THis is the very reason why Seattle can't ever and has never win or won anything of value, except lose a superbowl. Their fans and fanbase are very immature and are quick to get angry when things dont go their way and get excited too soon when they are successful and then lose it as a result!!

galen96 is offline Registered User

How exactly does the maturity (or lack thereof) create or destroy a team? Joshy bailed on Seattle and its fans and instead of just going, he had to make some comments to piss off the collective fanbase. It was the proverbial middle finger as he walked out the door...

He deserved the booing, and will keep getting booed for many more games to come.