Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

From th3 Boston Herald

Source: Pats employee filmed Rams

By John Tomase | Saturday, February 2, 2008 |

Photo by Nancy Lane
    PHOENIX - One night before the Patriots face the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, new allegations have emerged about a Patriots employee taping the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI.

According to a source, a member of the team’s video department filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before that 2002 game. The next day, the Patriots upset St. Louis, 20-17, on a last-second field goal by Adam Vinatieri for their first championship.

A walkthrough involves practicing plays at reduced speed without contact or pads. It is common for teams to film their own walkthroughs and practices.

When contacted last night, Patriots vice president of media relations Stacey James said: “The coaches have no knowledge of it.”

Yesterday, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) stated that he plans to summon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before Congress to explain why he destroyed tapes that showed the Patriots stealing defensive signals over the last two years.

After his state of the NFL press conference yesterday, Goodell was asked if the league’s investigation into the Pats included allegations that they recorded the Rams walkthrough in 2002.

“I’m not aware of that,” Goodell said.

“We have no information on that,” seconded NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

According to a source close to the team during the 2001 season, here’s what happened. On Feb. 2, 2002, one day before the Patriots’ Super Bowl game against heavily favored St. Louis in New Orleans, the Patriots visited the Superdome for their final walkthrough.

After completing the walkthrough, they had their team picture taken and the Rams then took the field. According to the source, a member of the team’s video staff stayed behind after attending the team’s walkthrough and filmed St. Louis’ walkthrough.

At no point was he asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source said. The cameraman rode the media shuttle back to the hotel with news photographers when the Rams walkthrough was completed, the source said.

It’s not known what the cameraman did with the tape from there. It’s also not known if he made the recording on his own initiative or if he was instructed to make the recording by someone with the Patriots or anyone else.

The next day, the Patriots opened a 14-3 halftime lead on the Rams, who were 14-point favorites and operators of an offense known as “The Greatest Show on Turf.”

The Rams didn’t begin moving the ball until the fourth quarter, when their 14-point rally pulled the teams into a 17-17 tie with less than two minutes remaining. Tom Brady then led the most famous drive in Patriots history for the winning field goal.

The Patriots were fined $750,000 and docked a first-round draft pick for breaking league policy and filming the Jets’ defensive signals from the sideline in September.

Asked yesterday if he believed the Pats used similar films to achieve their three Super Bowl victories, Goodell was adamant.

“No,” he said. “There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories.”

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

I'm pissed

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

woody1351 is offline Registered User

i always thoguht something was up with that game. we beat them pretty good in the reg season and then all of a sudden they could stop us on a dime. it would be nice to see a second banner hanging in the dome next year once they take that win away from the cheatriots. whats the chance that would happen?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I want our Lombardi Trophy back!

As a somewhat amusing side note, I watched some of the game on NFL network this week, and Brady had an ankle injury going into that super bowl as well. I hate Brady so much...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

This sort of talk is bad for the NFL. The seeds of doubt can be planted and then the sport loses honor and respect. It never made sense to me that they destroyed the tapes so quickly. Perhaps there is more evidence out there and people that will speak out if it is true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Steve Young is slamming them on Sportscenter and I love him for it.

mdram is offline Registered User

A sad day for the NFL if proven true. How can we not feel bitter.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

It seems strange that the pats become a great team after beating the rams in the superbowl and later get found out for recording the jets seems to me they have been doing recording of teams since then but only got caught once. Of course the NFL don't want this to come out. COME ON THE GIANTS

keith m. klink Guest

well don'r worry about it. the NFL is bigger than the RAMS . even if they found hard solid fact that indeed the PATS were cheating . they would never take away a SB trophy from AMERICA'S favorite team . they would sweep it away to save face for the NFL. and that is sad . the truth will set you free. too bad pro sports never tell the truth . and in the end , it's us the fans that are cheated and stolen from . money , memories , honor for your team . how many times does the dog have to bite the masters hand before he stops feeding him .

GameTime is offline Registered User

If this is proven true, I too will be upset. However it is amusing that this story has been saved until the day before the superbowl. hmmm.

If it is true, Wilkins gets to kick all of the patriots in the crotch during our first preseason game next year.

That will get people to fill the seats for a meaningless game.

GameTime is offline Registered User

this story kind of makes me feel like i have been molested.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

That explains it- the Pats must have had tapes of love smith employing that weak-azz, soft zone, prevent defense before he threw it out there at the end of that game. I mean, how else could Tom Brady have driven his team all the way into field goal position against a mush pass rush and DBs who are 30 yds downfield??? It just didn't make sense until now!!!

union jack rammer is offline Registered User

i still cant watch any of the replays of that game. it makes me physically ill.this feel like the scab has been removed from my wound.i hope the g-men kill 'em.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by union jack rammer View Post
    i still cant watch any of the replays of that game. it makes me physically ill.this feel like the scab has been removed from my wound.i hope the g-men kill 'em.
    Welcome to the clan union jack. Sometimes it is best to forget the past. If there is nothing to be gained from it, you might as well just forget it happened. In the end, I think we fans are really interested in being united, even if the game is flawed. Not many things in life are fair. Winning is important, but how you play the game is also important.

I would hate to hear that the Rams used unfair tatics to win games. I would rather support a losing team than one that is found to use any means to win games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

union jack rammer is offline Registered User

Thanks for the welcome UtterBlitz.I suppose it is time to let go,but i'll always turn the channel when they show the replay

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast