Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 212
  1. #46
    RamWraith's Avatar
    RamWraith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,230
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    'Spygate' allegations surface from Pats' Super Bowl win over Rams
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/02/2008

    GLENDALE, Ariz. — New England coach Bill Belichick cemented his reputation as a defensive genius when his Patriots stunned Mike Martz and the Rams 20-17 in Super Bowl XXXVI.

    According to the Boston Herald, Belichick may have had some help against the Rams. Some illegal help. Citing an unnamed source, the Herald reported Saturday that a Patriots employee taped the Rams’ final walkthrough on Saturday, the day before Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans.

    "I think Mike always suspected something, but I had no knowledge of this," Rams president John Shaw said Saturday in Phoenix, where he is attending the Super Bowl XLII game between the Patriots and the New York Giants.

    Shaw declined further comment, but said he would bring up the topic with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell next week. Shaw and Goodell are scheduled to meet next week in Los Angeles, a meeting set up before the latest allegations of cheating by the Patriots surfaced.

    The Patriots’ victory over the Rams is considered one of the biggest upsets in NFL history, and Martz was bombarded with criticism following the defeat. At the time, the Rams had what was considered one of the most potent offenses in league history — an aggressive, high-powered, multi-faceted attack dubbed the "Greatest Show on Turf."

    Martz was house hunting in San Francisco, where he was recently hired as offensive coordinator, when reached Saturday by the Post-Dispatch.

    "I’ve been aware of this (the taping allegations) for some time," Martz said Saturday. "But I’m going to hold off on commenting further until all of this comes out."

    The source told the Herald that after completing their walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI six years ago, the Patriots posed for a team picture in the Louisiana Superdome. And then the Rams took the field for their walkthrough. According to the source, a member of the Patriots’ video staff stayed behind after attending the New England walkthrough and illegally filmed the Rams’ walkthrough.

    At no point was the cameraman asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source told the Herald. Except for a pool reporter, Super Bowl walkthroughs are closed to the media.

    During walkthroughs, players literally "walk through" plays that the team is planning to run in the game the next day. Rams sources told the Post-Dispatch that the Rams emphasized short-yardage, goal-line, and red zone plays that were in the game plan during the walkthrough that day in New Orleans.

    According to the Rams’ source, one of the plays in that day’s walkthrough was a play early in the fourth quarter when quarterback Kurt Warner fumbled on a fourth-and-goal from the New England 3. The Patriots recovered the fumble and raced 97 yards for an apparent touchdown. But the play was negated because of a defensive holding call against New England. The Rams subsequently scored to cut New England’s lead to 17-10 with less than 10 minutes to play.

    Belichick was fined $500,000, and the New England franchise fined an additional $250,000 earlier this season for illegally taping New York Jets coaching signals on the sideline during the Patriots ’07 season opener against the Jets. The Patriots also had to forfeit their first-round draft pick in the upcoming draft. The controversy was dubbed "Spygate."

    Belichick dodged all questions on "Spygate" during Super Bowl week. During his annual Super Bowl address Friday, Goodell was asked if any of the confiscated tapes in the "Spygate" controversy benefited the Patriots in any of their three Super Bowl victories.

    "No, there was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories," Goodell said.

    But now, there’s a whole new layer of allegations. After his press conference, Goodell said he was unaware of any taping of the Rams’ Super Bowl XXXVI walkthrough.


  2. #47
    itsguud's Avatar
    itsguud is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    I want our SB title! It should be stripped from them and given to the Rams. Imagine how much different everything would be today if that t=hadn't happened.

  3. #48
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,905
    Rep Power
    130

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    The Pats are the biggest cheaters of all time, but they are going to be celebrated as the greatest team ever. Its just wrong
    Let's just hope the Giants can exact some justice. The Patriots would go down in infamy as the team that blew it if they lose and really put a dent in their quest to be a true dynasty. The game tomorrow is huge as far as legacy and history.

  4. #49
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,794
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    'Spygate' allegations surface from Pats' Super Bowl win over Rams
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/02/2008

    GLENDALE, Ariz. — New England coach Bill Belichick cemented his reputation as a defensive genius when his Patriots stunned Mike Martz and the Rams 20-17 in Super Bowl XXXVI.

    According to the Boston Herald, Belichick may have had some help against the Rams. Some illegal help. Citing an unnamed source, the Herald reported Saturday that a Patriots employee taped the Rams’ final walkthrough on Saturday, the day before Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans.

    "I think Mike always suspected something, but I had no knowledge of this," Rams president John Shaw said Saturday in Phoenix, where he is attending the Super Bowl XLII game between the Patriots and the New York Giants.

    Shaw declined further comment, but said he would bring up the topic with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell next week. Shaw and Goodell are scheduled to meet next week in Los Angeles, a meeting set up before the latest allegations of cheating by the Patriots surfaced.

    The Patriots’ victory over the Rams is considered one of the biggest upsets in NFL history, and Martz was bombarded with criticism following the defeat. At the time, the Rams had what was considered one of the most potent offenses in league history — an aggressive, high-powered, multi-faceted attack dubbed the "Greatest Show on Turf."

    Martz was house hunting in San Francisco, where he was recently hired as offensive coordinator, when reached Saturday by the Post-Dispatch.

    "I’ve been aware of this (the taping allegations) for some time," Martz said Saturday. "But I’m going to hold off on commenting further until all of this comes out."


    The source told the Herald that after completing their walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI six years ago, the Patriots posed for a team picture in the Louisiana Superdome. And then the Rams took the field for their walkthrough. According to the source, a member of the Patriots’ video staff stayed behind after attending the New England walkthrough and illegally filmed the Rams’ walkthrough.

    At no point was the cameraman asked to identify himself or produce a press pass, the source told the Herald. Except for a pool reporter, Super Bowl walkthroughs are closed to the media.

    During walkthroughs, players literally "walk through" plays that the team is planning to run in the game the next day. Rams sources told the Post-Dispatch that the Rams emphasized short-yardage, goal-line, and red zone plays that were in the game plan during the walkthrough that day in New Orleans.

    According to the Rams’ source, one of the plays in that day’s walkthrough was a play early in the fourth quarter when quarterback Kurt Warner fumbled on a fourth-and-goal from the New England 3. The Patriots recovered the fumble and raced 97 yards for an apparent touchdown. But the play was negated because of a defensive holding call against New England. The Rams subsequently scored to cut New England’s lead to 17-10 with less than 10 minutes to play.

    Belichick was fined $500,000, and the New England franchise fined an additional $250,000 earlier this season for illegally taping New York Jets coaching signals on the sideline during the Patriots ’07 season opener against the Jets. The Patriots also had to forfeit their first-round draft pick in the upcoming draft. The controversy was dubbed "Spygate."

    Belichick dodged all questions on "Spygate" during Super Bowl week. During his annual Super Bowl address Friday, Goodell was asked if any of the confiscated tapes in the "Spygate" controversy benefited the Patriots in any of their three Super Bowl victories.

    "No, there was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories," Goodell said.

    But now, there’s a whole new layer of allegations. After his press conference, Goodell said he was unaware of any taping of the Rams’ Super Bowl XXXVI walkthrough.
    WOW so Martz suspected something even back then. Unbelievable. We all knew when we watched that game that besides the horrible officiating that something wasn't right but you just couldn't put your finger on it.

    There is no way the NFL strips them and gives us the title, but I do want the Pats exposed as frauds.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

  5. #50
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,936
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Barry said it best. Did they film the Rams? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Certainly would not surprise me.

    But that is only a part of the story. They cheated on the field and the refs allowed it. The media dubbed Belichick a great coach for it. I just see him as a man who does not care about the rules and will do anything to win. He's no better in my mind than a steroid using player or a guy who shaves points.

    When this Patriot team's run is over, the NFL will be better for it.

  6. #51
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,905
    Rep Power
    130

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When this Patriot team's run is over, the NFL will be better for it.
    Man I hope it's over tomorrow!!! A Giants win would be so monumental in so many ways.

  7. #52
    gap Guest

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I guess the cheating they did ON the field, all the defensive holding, clubbing Warner in the head, hitting late, leading with the helmet, wasn't the end of their scummyness.

    They are the biggest cheaters ever in the NFL
    Is this the same Barry Waller the drives (or used to in 99) a little black roadster? If so, I hope you can answer this.

    Why doesn't the media do an indepth story on the questionable officiating the the Pats have been blessed by since 2001? Are they afraid of losing their press pass, of fines, or being black-listed? Or are they looking to the future glory of calling a game that was part of a "perfect" season?

    I personally cannot watch a Pats game because I know that the officials will not hold them to the same standard that all other teams are held to. It makes it even worse to hear the two (or three) extra cheerleadrs in the both get so excited about the smallest feat they do, while virtually ignoring any great plays the other team makes.

    gap

  8. #53
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    i want our super bowl title, take all their draft picks, ban that cheating (fill in the blank) Billicheck from the NFL, and fine the organization 5million dollars, put an asterus next to anything patriots, and no that is definitely not excessive

  9. #54
    gap Guest

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Quote Originally Posted by majorram View Post
    God I JUST hope they loss tomorrow

    steve:l
    The only way the are going to lose tomorrow is if Vegas calls Goodall with news that they will be bankrupt if the Pats win.

    gap

  10. #55
    LA Rammer's Avatar
    LA Rammer is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wilmington, CA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,765
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    I knew I smelt a RAT!!! 2001 GSOT Rams are now confirmed as one of the best, if not the best NFL team in history. I will print up t-shirts ASAP – Rams Super Bowl XXXVI Champs!
    LA RAMMER

    It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

  11. #56
    badmoforamfan's Avatar
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    I wonder what would happen in Vegas if they are indeed convicted for cheating in the 2001 Superbowl? Wow, this has the potential to be huge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

  12. #57
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,794
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Here's the thing about the Pats. As sad as it is to say, this Pats season is most likely legit (besides the horrible officiating in the Baltimore game that the Pats should have lost). They didn't benefit much if any from taping the Jets and unless they did something else to cheat this year it's basically legit unfortunately.

    As for previous years I would have to think that little or none of it is legit. We know the refs handed them our title. We know the Pats held, hit helmet to helmet, mugged and did anything else to get an unfair advantage. Now we hear that they possibly (of course they did) taped us before the SB, and most likely every other team they played.

    Even though we won't get a title for 01/02 I really want to see this whole spygate saga exposed and the Pats proven as cheaters. Will it happen, who knows but I'm hoping.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

  13. #58
    St.Louis Ram 56's Avatar
    St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    19-0 BAAAAAAA... I'm not happy Reading that.....Pats have to resort to winning any way they can...Chetriots is what they are...Why can't they Just Play foortball for the Sake of the Game.....IS THIS THE MAKING OF A FRAUD DYNASTY...

    I hope the Giants Stomp them back to Gillette where thier Loser arses belong


    NO ONE CAN TOP THE TOOLS-THE TALENT- OF OUR 1999 RAMS TEAM, AT LEAST WE KNOW THEY WHERE FOR REAL...

    CHEERZ AND GOOD LUCK GIANTS TOMORROW!!!

    TERRY

  14. #59
    LA Rammer's Avatar
    LA Rammer is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wilmington, CA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,765
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    Quote Originally Posted by St.Louis Ram 56 View Post
    NO ONE CAN TOP THE TOOLS-THE TALENT- OF OUR 1999 RAMS TEAM, AT LEAST WE KNOW THEY WHERE FOR REAL...
    Nicely put!
    LA RAMMER

    It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

  15. #60
    BigGameMN's Avatar
    BigGameMN is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Age
    32
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

    PHOENIX (AP) - A member of the New England Patriots' video staff taped the St. Louis Rams' last walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl, a Boston newspaper reported Saturday. The NFL, however, said it was satisfied this was not another Spygate.

    "We were aware of the rumor months ago and looked into it. There was no evidence of it on the tapes or in the notes produced by the Patriots, and the Patriots told us it was not true," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press.

    Citing an unidentified source, the Boston Herald reported that a Patriots employee recorded the Rams' walkthrough at the Superdome in the New Orleans a day before the Super Bowl. New England beat the heavily favored Rams 20-17 its first NFL title.

    The Herald reported that a source close to the Patriots in the 2001 season said the team held a walkthrough at the Superdome in New Orleans before the game on Feb. 3, 2002. After the Patriots took a team picture, a member of their video department stayed inside the stadium and taped the Rams' session.

    It was not known whether the cameraman was told by the Patriots to film the practice or what he did with the tape, the Herald said. The Rams were two-touchdown favorites, but lost on Adam Vinatieri's last- second field goal.

    "The suggestion that the New England Patriots recorded the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI is absolutely false. Any suggestion to the contrary is untrue," Patriots spokesman Stacey James told the AP.

    Rams spokesman Rick Smith, reading a statement from team president John Shaw, said, "At this point, we have no comment."

    The unbeaten Patriots will try to win their fourth Super Bowl in seven seasons Sunday when they play the New York Giants.

    Early this season, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fined New England coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and docked the team $250,000 and a first-round draft pick after the Spygate scandal. The Patriots were accused of videotaping New York Jets defensive coaches as they signaled to players.

    New England did not have a walkthrough Saturday. The Giants held one at the Arizona Cardinals' practice facility.

    A walkthrough is done without pads or helmets, giving teams a chance to practice their formations.

    Goodell spent much of his state of the game address Friday talking about that episode. He said he did not think the Patriots used such tapes to win previous titles.

    "There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories," he said.

    Goodell also defended his decision to destroy notes and videotapes linked to the Spygate, saying "there was no purpose for them."

    Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who sent Goodell a letter asking for explanation, said Goodell's response "didn't make any sense at all."
    Oh my goodness. What were the Patriots going to do? Say "Yeah, it's true, here's the tape" You see when people cheat, it means they are LIARS. They don't just come out and admit they are cheaters....


Similar Threads

  1. Bucs sign Boston
    By RamWraith in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -05-24-2006, 08:54 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-18-2005, 11:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-13-2004, 09:16 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-09-2004, 12:49 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-26-2001, 07:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •