Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    GameTime is offline Registered User

Re: Boston Herald-Possible Rams/Pats Superbowl Spygate?

I think I need a psychiatrist.

Please Please Please put these guys on our schedule at home next season!!

I know some of you are lawyers, so please expand on my next comment. If proven true, can Chip lead the charge to seek $$ from these cheats?

I agree that we wont be awarded the superbowl, but my fingers are still crossed. That would be the best way to get back at them.

either way it shakes out. Lets put up a banner in the dome 2001 superbowl champs*

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    I think I need a psychiatrist.

Please Please Please put these guys on our schedule at home next season!!

IIRC the Rams are playing the Patriots in Foxboro next year.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Let it go guys.

i wish this story never came out. A lot of us as fans already have a foul taste in our mouths concerning that Super Bowl. And finding out this info only makes the loss sting that much worse.

With that being said, I don't agree with those of you who want the game to be ruled in our favor. I do not want the title going to our RAMS.

Why? Because I don't want to win a title that way. I do not want us to be some 3-13 team who is begging for a championship to be turned our way 6 years later. I don't want to go down in the record books as being the only championship team in history to have a super bowl victory without ever winning the super bowl.

Do we deserve the championship? It seems we could certainly make a claim to it. But let sleeping dogs lie. We got screwed. Happens all the time in sports. Lets build a great team and WIN a super bowl title outright, with no questions asked. Instead of being handed one years and years after it barely even matters anymore.
    I agree totally, but I also think if this proves to be true the Pats should be stripped of the title and left at that,as you stated the Rams should not be given the championship but I am all for the Pats haven theres taken away.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The point is we had the #1 offense in the NFL to go along with the #3 Defense. The Pats were ranked 24 and 19 respectively. This should not have been a FG game. We should have beat the Pats something like 34-17. We had allready beat them on their field in their weather 24-17.
    Unfortuantely, you actually have to play the game. You don't win it based on offensive and defensive rankings of the regular season. There have been upsets before that haven't involved cheating and if every game was decided on what a team SHOULD do, then the odd's makers would never win any money. I'm not really sure what you're point is here. Yes, we should have won that game, but Mike Martz took too long to make an adjustment to the fact that the refs were not calling the Pats dbs for anything and lovie smith went into a prevent during the most important time of the most important game of anyone's career. We came all the way back to tie the damn thing up and he sits back and allows the Pats to march right down into FG range. That had nothing to do with being filmed in a walkthrough. You don't need to cheat to beat the prevent when all you need is a FG to win. Smith must have been the only person in the stadium that thought the Pats were going to sit on the ball and wait for OT. The Pats knew momentum had completely shifted away from them and if the game went into OT and they lost the coin flip, they were going to lose. Unfortunately, lovie smith showed his true, boring, unimaginative defensive mind when it really counted. When Proehl scored that TD and left that much time on the clock, I turned to my friend and said, "There's too much time on the clock, smith is going to go back into that damed cover 2 and allow them to kick the winning FG." Low and behold, I was right. The reason our D was so good that year was because our offensive was usually up big in the first couple of series and we forced teams to pass early and often. It's a lot easier to call a defense when you take the element of surprise out of it. Now, unless someone can prove that the Pats had the Rams playbook before hand or paid off the refs, the truth of the matter is that we got outplayed and beaten. This all just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree totally, but I also think if this proves to be true the Pats should be stripped of the title and left at that,as you stated the Rams should not be given the championship but I am all for the Pats haven theres taken away.
    If they are found to have taped the Rams, before the game I think they should lose their rings. Won't happen, but just like Bonds everytime anyone looks at any player from the Pats run will always know they cheated. Warner is right lets look at this hard, it hurt a lot of people that lost in that game. Pats burn tapes, steal signals, if I was a Pats fan I would have to ask myself can I support this team.

I am a little shocked tha Warner came out so strong on the issue, your a good man.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

They cheated. The Refs helped. The NFL turned the other way for years. Seems to me that the lost Patriots #1 pick coming up should belong to the Rams.

They won't take the trophy, but at least give the most offended organization the forfieted pick.
    Semper Fi!

btimsah Guest

We need a Bob Woodward to write an insiders book on the Cheatriots scandals and little cheateries. It boggles my mind that the NFL says this rumor isn't true because the Patriots told them so! WTF! They probably thought O.J. was innocent too.

Does anyone really think the Giants can beat the Patriots? God I hope so.

Rambos is offline Registered User

They cheated. The Refs helped. The NFL turned the other way for years. Seems to me that the lost Patriots #1 pick coming up should belong to the Rams.

They won't take the trophy, but at least give the most offended organization the forfieted pick.
    I like this...they keep the win and we get picks for the next three years, starting in 08.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Since I Went To The Game I Would Like The Nfl To Refund My Money... Do Something For Me

Chris58 is offline Registered User

A real problem for the NFL and probably the reason it has been swept under the rug, is that if it can be proven that the Pats cheated then it might also be possible to show that other teams cheat or refs can be had. Then you get get into the realm of "throwing games". Everyone starts to question why did so and so do this or call that play in that situation? Why can't the Rams move the damn ball against this team, etc? Now since gambling is legal and such a big part of the sports scene, any questioning of the integrity of any pro game (see Pete Rose, NBA officials) jepoardizes the whole sport as well as the gambling industry, which probably makes more money than the NFL does. Believe me, Goodell will not let the NFL turn into pro wrestling. I suspect this will all be denied and covered up and witnesses will take the 5th or end up missing.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Unfortuantely, you actually have to play the game. You don't win it based on offensive and defensive rankings of the regular season. There have been upsets before that haven't involved cheating and if every game was decided on what a team SHOULD do, then the odd's makers would never win any money. I'm not really sure what you're point is here. Yes, we should have won that game, but Mike Martz took too long to make an adjustment to the fact that the refs were not calling the Pats dbs for anything and lovie smith went into a prevent during the most important time of the most important game of anyone's career. We came all the way back to tie the damn thing up and he sits back and allows the Pats to march right down into FG range. That had nothing to do with being filmed in a walkthrough. You don't need to cheat to beat the prevent when all you need is a FG to win. Smith must have been the only person in the stadium that thought the Pats were going to sit on the ball and wait for OT. The Pats knew momentum had completely shifted away from them and if the game went into OT and they lost the coin flip, they were going to lose. Unfortunately, lovie smith showed his true, boring, unimaginative defensive mind when it really counted. When Proehl scored that TD and left that much time on the clock, I turned to my friend and said, "There's too much time on the clock, smith is going to go back into that damed cover 2 and allow them to kick the winning FG." Low and behold, I was right. The reason our D was so good that year was because our offensive was usually up big in the first couple of series and we forced teams to pass early and often. It's a lot easier to call a defense when you take the element of surprise out of it. Now, unless someone can prove that the Pats had the Rams playbook before hand or paid off the refs, the truth of the matter is that we got outplayed and beaten. This all just sounds like sour grapes to me.
    It's hardly sour grapes. It's about right and wrong. It's about the truth. Could we have done things different in that game and won, of course. Was our last series of defense bad, yes.

The officiating was horrible for whatever reason, probably the worst I have ever seen. There is no denying that it changed the face of the game.

You say it's easier to play D when you have a lead which is true. It's also A LOT easier to play when you know what the opposing teams play will be. If (of course they did) the Pats taped our regular season game and grabbed our signals, and if (of course they did) they taped our walkthorugh that is a huge advantage. There is no denying that.

So it's not sour grapes, it's about the truth. If they did do it (of course they did) I want them exposed as frauds and this dynasty goes down the drain. It's not about a trophy, or title for 01/02. It's about showing the world what the Pats really are, and that's cheaters.

This whole thing stinks ever since they got caught filming the Jets and then the commish destroys the evidence. Come on! We all know there is much more to this than we know, so it's not sour grapes.

RealRam is offline Registered User

If this is proven to be true justice must be served. I know we won't get our Superbowl ring .... The Rams are and were the better team and they were not cheaters. The Rams organization may not be the best but at least they have INTEGRITY [see signature] unlike the entire Pats organization. I can not and will not honor that team in 2001 and I will not consider their 2007 undefeated season a great accomplishment. -- Rammiser

Totally agree. And I will still settle for that special asterisk next to SB XXXVI that may somehow recognize the Rams as having been under cheat, robbery, and treachery by the Paynots.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    So it's not sour grapes, it's about the truth. If they did do it (of course they did) I want them exposed as frauds and this dynasty goes down the drain. It's not about a trophy, or title for 01/02. It's about showing the world what the Pats really are, and that's cheaters.

This whole thing stinks ever since they got caught filming the Jets and then the commish destroys the evidence. Come on! We all know there is much more to this than we know, so it's not sour grapes.
    Well according to all the experts, every team does this, so I don't see why it should count against them and not the 31 other teams. Not to mention that this is still all unfounded- unless they can prove to me that they did something other than tape the walkthrough, then I really don't think it's all that big of a deal. We could have won the game regardless of all this other stuff and didn't do it. We were outplayed, outcoached, and just beaten. We lost this game as much as they won. That's how I see it.

moklerman is offline Registered User

We were outplayed, outcoached, and just beaten. We lost this game as much as they won. That's how I see it.
    I understand your point but when does it all become too much? I don't see how the Rams were outplayed and outcoached when the other team wasn't playing by the same rules. I can't agree that Martz was outcoached if the Pat's were indeed cheating. I can't agree that the Rams players were outplayed when I know that the officials were ignoring holding, spearing, roughing, grounding and other calls. Call roughing of Warner-no TD for the Pat's. Call grounding on Brady-no FG for the win. That's just two of the blatant non-calls.

Not that I wanted the Rams to lose at all, but I could live with them being outscored. Take Super Bowl XIV for example. Plenty of Rams fans, such as myself, were mightily disappointed that the Rams didn't win that game but it wasn't a case of the game being heavily influenced by things other than the players on the field. Rams got beat, could/should have won but they couldn't finish. That wasn't the case in XXXVI.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    We could have won the game regardless of all this other stuff and didn't do it. We were outplayed, outcoached, and just beaten. We lost this game as much as they won. That's how I see it.
    I don't think there can be any denying that the officials allowed the Patriots to get away with murder. A tightly officiated game would have made all the difference IMO. The grabbing, clutching, holding, head clubing, non-calls against New England and yes, the coaching edge gained by illegal tapes were just what the Patriots needed to overcome a far superior team.

Super Bowl 36. The gift that just keeps giving.:x