Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Both Shaw and Linehan have said there will be changes, so what are we waiting for?

At this point it's become clear that there will be changes to our beloved Rams this offseason, just that Linehan will be back. OK, don't agree with Linehan but I accept it. But what exactly are we waiting for? Other bad teams are making moves while we are stuck in neutral. It's pretty obvious that will we be making changes in our coaching staff and our front office in some way but if we don't get on the ball and do it NOW then we'll be stuck with the leftovers that nobody else wants.

It boggles my mind how we are acting like the world is standing still, like other teams aren't out there searching for valuable coordinators, assistant coaches, and key front office personnel. Apparently everything is on hold until next week when there will be a meeting of the minds in LA. Why hasn't that meeting already took place? Hasn't Shaw ever heard of the early bird getting the worm? That the bird that sleeps in goes hungry or has to settle for what the smarter birds have regurgitated?

The Dophins, whiners, Falcons, Lions, and others are out there trying to make improvements while we are circling the runway. Does anybody else see a problem with this?

HornIt is offline Registered User

Re: Both Shaw and Linehan have said there will be changes, so what are we waiting for

Why is the answer assumed to be to run out and quickly hire other recently fired coaches?

There is one way of thinking I suppose that says you simply react. There is another way of thinking that says you consider, evaluate and then react.

How does the saying go? Measure twice, cut once.

I like that idea better.

Re: Both Shaw and Linehan have said there will be changes, so what are we waiting for

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Why is the answer assumed to be to run out and quickly hire other recently fired coaches?

There is one way of thinking I suppose that says you simply react. There is another way of thinking that says you consider, evaluate and then react.

How does the saying go? Measure twice, cut once.

I like that idea better.
    My friend you have completely misunderstood what I was saying.

I didn't say we should have already hired somebody. But my goodness, we don't even know what positions we are going to be needing. Other teams are already on the ball, looking at prospective candidates and making a list while we just twiddle our thumbs.

And why, may I ask, do you think we have to hire somebody who has just been fired? You look at other teams coaches and front office people and identify stellar candidates to promote. Look at Lovie Smith, we hired him when he was a linebackers coach and made him into a D-Coordinator. That's what I'm talking about, but if we don't get to it these candidates will all be gone. This is the NFL, not a carpentry class. You have to move fast because the other teams won't be standing around.
    Last edited by BigGameMN; -01-04-2008 at 01:58 AM.

Just because we don't know doesn't mean they don't know.

Plus, most of those hot position coaches that you might want to look at for a coordinator's position are likely still coaching with their teams in the playoffs.

It's early and the early bird doesn't necessarily get the worm in this situation anyway. Patience Danielson.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Just because we don't know doesn't mean they don't know.

Plus, most of those hot position coaches that you might want to look at for a coordinator's position are likely still coaching with their teams in the playoffs.

It's early and the early bird doesn't necessarily get the worm in this situation anyway. Patience Danielson.
    Right now you can interview coaches on playoff teams that have a bye as long as you have permission, which is one reason why other teams are making their moves now. The Chargers waited on making moves last year and they ended up with Norv Turner, you have to strike quickly in the NFL to get the best guys.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

In my estimation we've got plenty of time to find coaches if that's what the so-called "changes" are presumed to be.

Maybe if we were looking for a head coach, we might want to get the ball rolling, but we're not.

So exercising a little patience to make sure we hire the right people is probably the best way to handle it.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I think their philosophy is; Just make profits, baby!

Actions speak louder than words -- this stuff is more important to you and me than it is to Shaw.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

...I don't see anything wrong with the head coach and the team president meeting next week to discuss the state of the team? There have been some firings thus far in the offseason, but the few meetings/interviews that have been reported won't be taking place until next week anyways. It's not as if teams across the league are snatching up coaches left and right at the moment.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...I don't see anything wrong with the head coach and the team president meeting next week to discuss the state of the team? There have been some firings thus far in the offseason, but the few meetings/interviews that have been reported won't be taking place until next week anyways. It's not as if teams across the league are snatching up coaches left and right at the moment.
    Those are good points. I don't know maybe I'm overreacting but I think we should go ahead and make some decisions on who we're letting go and start to begin the search/interview process. I have a bad feeling that when we are just starting to fire people everybody else will start to make their hires. Especially in today's league where owners and GM's seem to have no problem with hiring coordinators before they even hire a coach.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    I think we should go ahead and make some decisions on who we're letting go and start to begin the search/interview process.
    I assume that's exactly what Shaw and Linehan will do when they get together for their meeting. Let's not push the panic button just yet.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

It also makes sense to me not to make decisions when emotions are still running so high after a tough season before you've had a proper chance to reflect and look at things from a little more of a distance.

It makes sense to step back a little, take some time, do some reflecting and then meet and start making decisions. I'm sure each party has a list of things they need to be ready to discuss when they meet. It is only appropriate to take a little time to prepare.

I don't see any other teams that will simply be tweaking their staffs rather than making wholesale changes jumping in and picking people off yet.

I'm also pretty sure most people will be disappointed with the degree of changes they make in the end. I know if they don't change Haslett and his staff, I will be.

jquarando is offline Registered User

What day is the meeting next week?

eldfan is offline Registered User

qutoe"It boggles my mind how we are acting like the world is standing still, like other teams aren't out there searching for valuable coordinators, assistant coaches, and key front office personnel."

I agree we are coming off a 3 win season. The hum ho lackadaisical approach dose bother me. It's not like Linehan is Belichick this coaching staff stink!!!!. Do the higher up think the status quote will produce a different result. I just want to see a sense of urgency, when you have 3 wins you better hit the ground running. They say things will be different well let's see it. Right now it looks like the sam old rams.
    :ramlogo:

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

"What day is the meeting next week?"

Schedule starting to fill-up?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well once this meeting takes place, maybe us (the fans) will know a little more on the status of the coaches and front office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast