Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,161
    Rep Power
    23

    The bottom line on Fisher

    I don't get why Rams fans can't stand this guy, but the bottom line is this -- he's average. He's not nearly as bad as his detractors make him out to be, but at his best he's just decent. He doesn't get burned consistently for fifty yard pass plays, but you can almost always count on the opposing team throwing at him when they need seven yards for the first down.

    So, yeah, we need to improve at that position. But, no, he isn't anywhere close to being the player some folks accuse him of being.

    P.S. -- he'd look a lot better if we had any kind of pass rush.


  2. #2
    tanus is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    I couldn't agree more. Finally someone gets it. Great post!

    I am still befuddled as to why Fisher is ALWAYS the first person to get blamed for everything. Is it because he sticks out so much because of his hair? I don't think I have once seen Travis Fisher look half as bad in coverage as Witherspoon looked on the two pass plays when he got ABSOLUTELY embarassed by LT. Yet, I don't see one person bring that up. Interesting.

  3. #3
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Finally someone gets it. Great post!

    I am still befuddled as to why Fisher is ALWAYS the first person to get blamed for everything. Is it because he sticks out so much because of his hair? I don't think I have once seen Travis Fisher look half as bad in coverage as Witherspoon looked on the two pass plays when he got ABSOLUTELY embarassed by LT. Yet, I don't see one person bring that up. Interesting.
    first of all you can't ask a linebacker, no matter who he is to stay with LT,there isn't a linebacker out that could stay with Marshall when he was at his best,like LT is now,so the reason nobody brings it up is because you cant compare the two.and to your point about fisher, you guys are right,he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be.he's not very good, but he's not bad either.

  4. #4
    rampete is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern Cal
    Posts
    654
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    ... I don't think I have once seen Travis Fisher look half as bad in coverage as Witherspoon looked on the two pass plays when he got ABSOLUTELY embarassed by LT. Yet, I don't see one person bring that up. Interesting.
    just perhaps, the reason why fans are taking a pass on ripping witherspoon on the last game is that he makes up for his lack of coverage skills with running side line to side line hard on every play and his tackling prowess...and clearly, LT is the new marshall, a guy few LBs can match...

    no one expects fisher to play at a pro bowl level, but i think his lack of playmaking has become more salient to us frustrated ram fans whenever opponents make a seemingly non-contested catch on his patrol...

  5. #5
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Finally someone gets it. Great post!

    I am still befuddled as to why Fisher is ALWAYS the first person to get blamed for everything. Is it because he sticks out so much because of his hair? I don't think I have once seen Travis Fisher look half as bad in coverage as Witherspoon looked on the two pass plays when he got ABSOLUTELY embarassed by LT. Yet, I don't see one person bring that up. Interesting.
    Well Witherspoon has more than made up for those 2 mistakes - in every game he's been in he's made big important plays. What big decisive plays have Fisher made to make up for his many mistakes? Fisher looked pretty awful as always against the Chargers, obviously especially during that series where they threw 3 straight passes at him for 3 straight completions 16 yards, 11 yards and 12 yards I think they were. In the span of a few minutes they'd moved the ball around 40 yards on Fisher. Now if he made a big interception on the next drive or something to make up for it, maybe he wouldn't get so much criticism, but he practically never does.

  6. #6
    tanus is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Ah ok, so excuses work for a select few of the Rams players. I get it now. It is only ok for you to mess up and not be held accountable if you created a turnover or made a big play in a previous game. Love it. I also love how WW gets a pass because he was up against LT, one of the best RBs in the game. Where was Fisher's excuse when he was up against Boldin or Fitzgerald, two of top receivers in the game? Keep it consistent if you are going to go that route please.

    LT did nothing special on those 2 pass plays except run right by WW because he took horrible angles to cover him. Now had he put some incredible juke on him I would understand, but to say its ok because its LT doesn't work for me. Both of those pass plays were huge in the game and much more damaging that anything Fisher allowed.

    Should I also mention LT's 51 yard run where WW looked completely lost and completely whiffed on making a tackle on him?

    The point is that WW's play in the San Diego game stunk mostly because of the big plays he allowed. Do I wish WW was benched? Hell no. I am glad he is a RAM? Hell yes. That being said, do I wish Fisher did more in terms of creating turnovers? Absolutely. But to say Fisher was the weak link against San Diego is just beyond ridiculous.

  7. #7
    sunflame is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    VA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    What is the point of being a conerback in this league, if you do get burned consistently for fifty yard pass play? I can't judge him, because i never seem him played in a game this season. Therefore, my view about fisher is whatever you post.

  8. #8
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,161
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    That's just it -- Fisher doesn't consistently get burned for 50 yard pass plays. And when he does, as often as not its when we've been in zone coverage and the safety (Atogwe, who hasn't been very good in coverage) shares a good chunk of the blame. What games are you guys watching? Really.

  9. #9
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Yes, yes, yes.........................

    I think the nail has been hit sqaurely on the head in this thread once again. I think the comment about WW and LT is salient if only because it demonstrates how objectivity and context help make better judgements.

    No-one who has sought to paint a clearer picture of Fisher (Nick, myself, chiguy, tanus etc) has ever said he's a pro-bowler, but he hasn't deserved some of the flak that's been shot his way.

    Good post.

  10. #10
    radjohns's Avatar
    radjohns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Yes, I too agree, just like Witherspoon on LT, Travis Fisher on a WR is a mismatch of huge proportions. Too bad that CB's have to cover WR's on such a regular basis.

  11. #11
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,533
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I don't get why Rams fans can't stand this guy, but the bottom line is this -- he's average. He's not nearly as bad as his detractors make him out to be, but at his best he's just decent. He doesn't get burned consistently for fifty yard pass plays, but you can almost always count on the opposing team throwing at him when they need seven yards for the first down.

    So, yeah, we need to improve at that position. But, no, he isn't anywhere close to being the player some folks accuse him of being.

    P.S. -- he'd look a lot better if we had any kind of pass rush.
    Great post. This is essentially my position as well. Fisher is an average player playing average football. He's not playing great football, but he's not horrid out there. Teams have been able to complete passes against him, sometimes easier than they should be able to, but he doesn't get beat deep and he has only been in coverage against one touchdown pass all season thus far.


    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    first of all you can't ask a linebacker, no matter who he is to stay with LT
    Maybe someone should have given this memo to our defensive coordinator, because the fact that Witherspoon was covering LT makes me suspect he either disagrees with you or wasn't aware of this general guideline.


    Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    Ah ok, so excuses work for a select few of the Rams players. I get it now. It is only ok for you to mess up and not be held accountable if you created a turnover or made a big play in a previous game. Love it.
    Indeed. If a guy makes a mistake, hold him accountable for it. Based on what I heard during gameday, Will Witherspoon did not have his strongest game of the year. In fact it sounded as if he had his weakest game this season. Maybe the tape shows something different but based on what you've pointed out I don't suspect it will.

    Just because Witherspoon has been a lights out player for us overall does not make him immune to any criticism. You can guarantee that when the team reviews film of this game, the coaches aren't going to pass over him because of other plays he's made this year. The fans should take the same approach. When a player plays good, give him credit for it. When a player plays poorly, point that out as well. Don't sweep one under the rug because of what he's done in the past.


    Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    I also love how WW gets a pass because he was up against LT, one of the best RBs in the game. Where was Fisher's excuse when he was up against Boldin or Fitzgerald, two of top receivers in the game? Keep it consistent if you are going to go that route please.
    Fantastic point!


    Quote Originally Posted by sunflame View Post
    What is the point of being a conerback in this league, if you do get burned consistently for fifty yard pass play?
    When has Fisher been burned for any fifty yard pass plays this season?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  12. #12
    LaRamsFanLongTime's Avatar
    LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Foothill Ranch CA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    808
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Fisher did not play good yesterday!!!!!

    Brown did not play good yesterday!!!

    The defense did not play good yesterday!!!!!

    I was emberassed watching the D yesterday. This whole secondary is not looking very promising at the moment. Hopefully that emberassment is taken out on the Cheifs.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

  13. #13
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    The point is that WW's play in the San Diego game stunk mostly because of the big plays he allowed. Do I wish WW was benched? Hell no. I am glad he is a RAM? Hell yes. That being said, do I wish Fisher did more in terms of creating turnovers? Absolutely. But to say Fisher was the weak link against San Diego is just beyond ridiculous.
    Good point. When LT is averaging 7.3 yards/carry they don't have to bother testing our corners. Not one of the Chargers' scores was the result of Fisher's miscues. There was no single weak link in that game; there were tons of them. Spoon made some good tackles in run support but struggled in coverage. Little got some pressure on Rivers but got man-handled in the running game. On most of the big runs, I couldn't see where Coakley had gone off to. Just about all of our defensive backs missed tackles in run defense that could have prevented big gains and/or TDs. We need more from pretty much every defender on the field.

  14. #14
    BigGameMN's Avatar
    BigGameMN is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Age
    32
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    I'm sorry but asking Will Witherspoon to cover LT is a recipe for disaster. Now sometimes the offense sets it up in such a way that a defense has no choice, at that point you simply have to hope he falls down or the QB doesn't see him.

  15. #15
    Guam rammer's Avatar
    Guam rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Guam
    Age
    45
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: The bottom line on Fisher

    Fisher did really well in this game. Alot of the passes in his direction were right on the numbers and difficult for anybody to defend. After catches, fish was right there making the tackles......What about the guy that got stiff armed and gave up his helmet for a touchdown? huh? if he had dreds and no names on uniforms, everybody would've assumed it was fish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •