Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "Bountygate" vs "Spygate" - loss of draft picks

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

"Bountygate" vs "Spygate" - loss of draft picks

As part of the punishment for "spygate" New England had to forfeit their 2008 first round draft pick.

As part of the punishment for "bountygate" New Orleans has to forfeit their 2nd round draft picks in 2012 and 2013.

Interesting to me that the commish stopped short of having the saints forfeit their first round pick in the 2012 draft.

I also find it interesting that the patriots, of all teams, own the rights to the saints first round pick in the 2012 draft.

Now I don't know, if the saints had to forfeit the 27th overall pick, would the patriots lose the rights to that pick as well?

If so.....well I have to wonder

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: "Bountygate" vs "Spygate" - loss of draft picks

Sounds like they are protecting the cheatroit's pick this year. Although, one could assume that should this year's 1st round pick be forfeited, the cheatroits would get next year's 1st rounder as a replacement.

I am really surprised they didn't take this year's 1st rounder, and then give the cheatroits the two seconds as compensation.

gap

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

I really think the patriot conspiracy theories are getting a little out of hand. The NFL doesn't favour the patriots, why would the league punish them by taking away a pick that the Saints traded? it would be like suspending Jeff Fisher for hiring Williams.. makes no sense.

The Saints faced harsh penalties because the story brought out a "thuggish" side of the NFL hat the league has been working very hard to sweep under the rug, Goodell had to come down hard or face strident criticism for not protecting player safety.

The Patriots are a good NFL team that plays the game on the field like everyone else, spygate was a shady action and may have helped them beat our Rams, but it certainly doesn't discredit what the Patriots have done since or before in my mind.

Keeping on about it is just sour grapes
    Defence Wins Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Holt Your Horses View Post
    The Saints faced harsh penalties because the story brought out a "thuggish" side of the NFL hat the league has been working very hard to sweep under the rug, Goodell had to come down hard or face strident criticism for not protecting player safety.
    So, your view is that Goodell is being completely consistent and severe enough with the loss of draft picks, when comparing the two incidents?

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    So, your view is that Goodell is being completely consistent and severe enough with the loss of draft picks, when comparing the two incidents?
    So what are you trying to say here? That the incidents are comparable? Each one should have cost the team a 1st rounder? And the only reason it's not costing the Saints there's is because it might belong to the Pats?? Really??

This is some more of that tortured logic that needs to be taken back out behind the shed and beaten like a soiled rug.

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave,
    When first we practise to deceive." - Scott, Canto
    Holt Your Horses likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    This is some more of that tortured logic that needs to be taken back out behind the shed and beaten like a soiled rug.
    Been a long time since you threatened my thoughts with physical abuse. Nonetheless it is good to see that you can still stoop from the levels of the hollow to scold some of us now and then.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Been a long time since you threatened my thoughts with physical abuse.
    Well, you know AvengingBiPolarManiac, if I'd had threatened your post directly, it might never have moonshined out from behind the still ...

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    Well, you know AvengingBiPolarManiac, if I'd had threatened your post directly, it might never have moonshined out from behind the still ...
    By all means, PickledBrainInaJar, please return as soon as you have something more concrete, than rhetorical questions and threats, to refute my cynicism.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Now I don't know, if the saints had to forfeit the 27th overall pick, would the patriots lose the rights to that pick as well?
    Why would the league punish the Patriots for the Saints infractions? That makes no sense.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

It's like saying the rams should of
    Lost picks for hiring Williams

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Why would the league punish the Patriots for the Saints infractions? That makes no sense.
    You're a little late in joining the dogpile.

I'm sure you see the question mark in my statement. If the patriots would lose the pick then it's understandable, since they did nothing wrong. I honestly don't know how that works. It might be unprecedented. Regardless of that, I don't see the consistency with the saints not losing at least one if not two first round draft picks.

It's not a proposed conspiracy. I was one of the few, if not the only one, around here that argued against the proposed and widely accepted conspiracy about SB36.

It's about consistency in punishment.

Personally, I feel that "bountygate" is the worse of the two cases, therefore I don't feel that the punishment(as far as draft pick loss) fits the crime as compared to "spygate"

Perhaps the majority of people feel that punishment fits.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The league could have taken away the Saints' 2013 first round pick, but I suspect they wanted the impact to be felt sooner, so they went with 2 second round picks, starting this year, instead.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Very true...

Any time the league punishes the Cheatriots I'm a happy camper!
    LA Rammer likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Technically, the Saints don't have a 1st round pick, so the league can't take a 1st round pick.

Classic case of, "you can't take what I don't have."

So they settled for the next best thing. They took their 2nd.

And to make up for the fact that they didn't have a 1st to take, Goodell decided to take a 2nd next year as well.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I was kind of shocked at how severe the Saints penalties were. Losing picks and a big hunk of their coaching staff for an extended period of time... "Bountygate" gave them no competitive advantage on the field (you can argue that "taking out a star QB" is an advantage, which it is, but injuries are a part of the game and happen on the field... illegal video tapes are not, know what I mean?). Spygate no doubt gave the Patriots a big competitive advantage, and yes they lost some money and a late-first round pick, but I remember some saying (Mark Schlerth was one of them) that if the Pats really did use videos to gain advantages, like against the Rams, they should have to forfeit that Super Bowl title. Goodell managed to sweep a lot of it under the rug, and now it's rarely brought up.
    The Saints got hit hard... heck we are even getting punished a big by losing our defensive coordinator for the year. Dang, we've had bad luck in both of these scandals, haha.

I haven't ranted about Spygate in several months... felt good to vent it out. I'm fine now guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast