Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "Bountygate" vs "Spygate" - loss of draft picks

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: "Bountygate" vs "Spygate" - loss of draft picks

Quote Originally Posted by Holt Your Horses View Post
    I really think the patriot conspiracy theories are getting a little out of hand. The NFL doesn't favour the patriots, why would the league punish them by taking away a pick that the Saints traded? it would be like suspending Jeff Fisher for hiring Williams.. makes no sense.

The Saints faced harsh penalties because the story brought out a "thuggish" side of the NFL hat the league has been working very hard to sweep under the rug, Goodell had to come down hard or face strident criticism for not protecting player safety.

The Patriots are a good NFL team that plays the game on the field like everyone else, spygate was a shady action and may have helped them beat our Rams, but it certainly doesn't discredit what the Patriots have done since or before in my mind.

Keeping on about it is just sour grapes

This kind of thinking is the perfect lamb that the NFL wants as a fan to keep their cash cow raking in the dough. They get to "take care of their own", punish people who make them do things they don't want to do, and rake in the cash all the while.

Remember several years ago, when basketball (might have been college) had a "few" officials that caught gambling on games they officiated? It was swept under the rug pretty fast, after isolating only a few officials. That certainly doesn't happen in the NFL, it is too big. :wink: :wink: Like basketball isn't as big as the NFL, especially college basketball.

I love the game of football, but I hate the politics that run it. IMO, anyone that thinks the cheatroits have not received special treatment, nor assistance in winning their games, has their head in the sand. The NFL wants to keep the bandwagon fans buying their product.

gap

gap

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Why would the league punish the Patriots for the Saints infractions? That makes no sense.
    Very good questions, and one I will ask in a different way.

Why would the league punish the RAMS for the Saints infractions?

By not taking the Saints' first round pick this year, which now belongs to the cheatroits, they avoided punishing the cheatroits. Using this same logic, the league should not have suspended Greg Williams, as it punishes the RAMS. They cannot do one without the other without showing favoritism. Why not make the cheatroits wait a year, or more, before they can have that first round pick? Just like the RAMS have to wait a year or more to get their Defensive Coordinator.

gap

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Agree with what everyone is saying here.

Can't take the 1st. Impact needed to be felt sooner so they went with a second. And to make the punishment equal out a first, they took next years also.

I do have to say though. In my eyes the integrity of competition was way worse in the spygate than bountygate. So i don't understand how Patriots got way less punishment. I will also say that with concussions and the whole thing with illegal hits, this might have been the icing on the cake/climax. So he had to make an example of people who lied throughout the investigation of a very sensitive topic right now.

ShaneFalco Guest

this is quite amazing to me. especially with the fact, the patriots hired mcdaniels just before the broncos game in the playoffs. the patriots defense knew our protections and snap counts. it was kind of dumb. patriots will cheat to win anything.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Very good questions, and one I will ask in a different way.

Why would the league punish the RAMS for the Saints infractions?

By not taking the Saints' first round pick this year, which now belongs to the cheatroits, they avoided punishing the cheatroits. Using this same logic, the league should not have suspended Greg Williams, as it punishes the RAMS. They cannot do one without the other without showing favoritism. Why not make the cheatroits wait a year, or more, before they can have that first round pick? Just like the RAMS have to wait a year or more to get their Defensive Coordinator.
    The difference is, the former Saints DC had personal involvement the injury incentive thingy. The former Saints 1st round pick did not.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    The difference is, the former Saints DC had personal involvement the injury incentive thingy. The former Saints 1st round pick did not.
    Good point, but they still should have gangt the 1st pick and made the cheatroits wait another year. Or at least take the first and give the cheatroits the 2 second round picks as compensation.

If for no other reason, an acknowledgement that they didn't punish them enough for spygate, and here is some more to make up for that deficiency.

gap

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Good point, but they still should have gangt the 1st pick and made the cheatroits wait another year. Or at least take the first and give the cheatroits the 2 second round picks as compensation.

If for no other reason, an acknowledgement that they didn't punish them enough for spygate, and here is some more to make up for that deficiency.

gap
    I understand you aren't happy with the punishment the Pats got over spygate but come on.... thats like me spanking my daughter for something she did wrong then a week later deciding I didn't beat her hard enough and I'm still really mad so I go give her another one. Spygate is done. It's over with. We need to move on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12