Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Bradford

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford

Some times I think the Rams could have God at QB and people would say he sucks.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Well, guess what Mike? That'll never happen.
    Sure it can happen. I never said Bradford needs great play from those around him, just reasonable, average, NFL consistency. It's certainly not a rare thing to see throughout the league.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I've read comments from fans questioning Sam's ability.
    I've read comments from bloggers questioning Sam's ability.
    I've read comments from sports writers questioning Sam's ability.

I have never read any comment from a scout, coach or player criticizing Sam's ability. Quite the opposite, in fact. Every comment I've ever read from a scout, coach or player has praised Sam as being a very good athlete, having an accurate arm, being able to make "all the throws," and having high character and leadership skills.

So... who do you think I believe?

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I still believe in Sam. But I must say the line has looked better. I just don't like when he holds the ball for so long...get those legs moving Sammy! We don't have that Brady line where you can brush your teeth and fix your hair then throw a pass.
    rammmm likes this.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't really care much for labels like "elite superstar." Give Sam a couple of Pro Bowl players on the O line and a true No. 1 WR, and he'll be what I want him to be: a playoff QB.
    We all want that. The point is Sam is suppose to be the face of our franchise. Basically what you just is said that he's an average QB, because if you give 80% of NFL QB's pro-bowl caliber lines and an elite WR, they will be pretty good. Marc Bulger proved that. If that's the case we should trade Bradford for Matt Cassel and save the team some money. Cassel lead the Patriots to an 11-5 record in that scenario.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    Basically what you just is said that he's an average QB, because if you give 80% of NFL QB's pro-bowl caliber lines and an elite WR, they will be pretty good.
    Don't try to put words in my mouth. I said no such thing.

I can think of many QBs in this league who - even with a strong O line and an elite WR - are not very good.

I think that Sam, with better tools aroung him, can be a very good to "elite" QB.

But I am not nearly as concerned as you are about Sam's "rating." If the Rams can build a team that contends for a title, I don't really care if people call Sam an "elite" QB or not.

I've read comments from fans questioning Sam's ability.
    I've read comments from bloggers questioning Sam's ability.
    I've read comments from sports writers questioning Sam's ability.

I have never read any comment from a scout, coach or player criticizing Sam's ability. Quite the opposite, in fact. Every comment I've ever read from a scout, coach or player has praised Sam as being a very good athlete, having an accurate arm, being able to make "all the throws," and having high character and leadership skills.

So... who do you think I believe?

I said he's talented, but how does that translate on the field? I'm not bashing Sam. I'm just giving my realistic opinion of him. We are still making excuse for him (legitimate or not) when there are other players that are younger and managed to make more of an impact.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I've been among those that have felt the line - based on the personnel - has played better than I would have expected. Maybe that's simply because my expectations are quite low given the names the Rams are fielding on the offensive line, but I wonder if they're doing worse than I perceive.

I say that because, according to Pro Football Focus, the Rams are the 28th best pass blocking team as an offense. On top of that, Sam Bradford is the eighth most pressured quarterback in the NFL. The percentage of dropbacks in which Sam is under pressure is 34.7%.

The seven guys higher than him, under more pressure? Vick, Kolb, Wilson, Gabbert, Rivers, Cutler, Palmer. None of them are exactly blowing Sam out of the water when it comes to efficiency rating; the highest of the group is Kolb who is less than five points ahead of Sam in QBR.

It's also worth noting that, while Sam is no where near the top of the list in terms of overall dropped passes, he does lead Pro Football Focus' metric when it comes to passes dropped when the QB is being pressured.

What do all these stats mean? Well, I guess it depends. The old argument is that you can come up with stats to support any argument, and maybe you can to some degree. I've been critical of Bradford this season when I've felt he's deserved it, but I agree with those who have said that, when prioritizing the trouble areas on this offense, he would come in dead last.

That doesn't mean he's perfect, but there are bigger problems on this offense right now than his play, in the grand scheme of things. I think we've seen the potential for great things from Sam; he has the talent, the intelligence, and the drive. He shouldn't need perfect pieces around him at every position, but there's a large gap between "perfect pieces" and what the Rams are fielding, a large enough gap where improvements need to be made.

I'll put it this way - when Wayne Hunter and Chris Williams are viable starters on this offensive line, then you've got some work to do on improving the unit. And that's even if they play better than you expected them to.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Don't try to put words in my mouth. I said no such thing.

I can think of many QBs in this league who - even with a strong O line and an elite WR - are not very good.

I think that Sam, with better tools aroung him, can be a very good to "elite" QB.

But I am not nearly as concerned as you are about Sam's "rating." If the Rams can build a team that contends for a title, I don't really care if people call Sam an "elite" QB or not.
    We are pretty much saying the same thing. I personally just want to win games. The point of the thread was about Sam Bradford. I was stating that I don't think he will be elite. If we win a Super Bowl I could care less if he's elite or not. I don't think the Ravens complained when Dilfer helped them win one.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I never thought leaving my opinion would make 5 pages. LOL anyway my opinion is my opinion. I think that Bradford is an above average QB, who's serviceable. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Will he be an elite QB I don't know that, I don't think anyone knows that. However his 3 years have told he is what his stats say he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I never thought leaving my opinion would make 5 pages. LOL anyway my opinion is my opinion. I think that Bradford is an above average QB, who's serviceable. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Will he be an elite QB I don't know that, I don't think anyone knows that. However his 3 years have told he is what his stats say he is.
    Actually, you also said:

I'm not sure what the solution is, but something needs to be done.

So, people weren't reacting to your opinion, they were reacting to your implication that Bradford should be replaced.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

At the end of every clutch throw is a clutch catch. Right now we've got guys who need a perfectly thrown ball instead of guys who can go up and make a play on a ball that's in the neighborhood. Every QB makes bad throws. Why are Sam's so much worse than theirs? At least he isn't a turnover machine.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

We just have to remember that it can take years to develop a great QB. Someone brought up Drew Brees and look how he turned out.

rammmm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    exactly, can't throw to receivers that aren't open and expect a catch....unless it's a defender
    We have all seen him under throw and over throw OPEN receivers on deep passes. Plain and simple, he is inaccurate on deep passes. Sure, he throw the slant or the "sit down in the middle" 15 yarder but other than that I'm truly not impressed. Now that I've stated that, Yes, he could be worse.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Two types of people in this world:

1. People that want to replace a QB after 2.5 years because he hasn't me their expectations.
    2. People who understand the game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod