Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram

Thread: Bradford Eager To Return, But...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford Eager To Return, But...

Bradford eager to return, but ...

BY JIM THOMAS
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Should Sam Bradford shut it down? On the subject of Bradford's injured left ankle, the debate continues on the Internet forums and chat rooms, on talk radio, and in print.

After Bradford's latest setback with the ankle in the Dec. 12 Monday night game in Seattle, the overriding sentiment seems to be that the Rams' quarterback should put the ankle in mothballs — or at least ice — for the rest of the season. But Bradford's opinion on the topic hasn't changed, and he was as adamant as ever during a Tuesday media session. He wants to play.

"Absolutely," Bradford said. "I've said that now for the past two weeks. I've told Coach (Steve Spagnuolo) that I'm trying to get my ankle as healthy as quick as possible. I want to be out there as soon as it's good enough to go. I expect to be on the field.

"Now obviously, Coach and (trainer) Reggie (Scott) still have to feel comfortable enough for me to be out there, and feel that I can protect myself and that I can play at a level to help this team. As soon as I get back to that point, I expect to be in the huddle."

But with only two games left, a short work week because of a Saturday game in Pittsburgh and a 2-12 record, why bother?

Bradford normally is about as even-keel as they come, but you could hear the passion in his response.

"That's my job," he said. "That's why I'm here. I'm here to play football. I'm not here to ride the (stationary) bike. I'm not here to sit on the sideline. No matter what happens, why wouldn't I want to play?

"You put so much time in. You put so much work in. And then to just have it taken away and not to be able to go out there and do what you love to do. You know, it's not easy. It (stinks) sitting on the sideline. I don't like it. I think it's miserable. There's nothing fun about it. So as soon as I can get back out there playing, you'll probably see me smile a little bit more."

As is his custom, Bradford hasn't cut his hair since the start of the season. And he has extended his scruffy beard — from no-shave November — into December because he says it's one less thing to worry about. So as this highly disappointing season winds down, he has kind of a hobo look going.

A bummed out hobo at that. At the start of just about every practice these days, he can be seen riding a stationary bike under the watchful eye of strength coach Rock Gullickson. In this dreary season, he's grown weary of the bike sessions.

"Yes, very tired," he said. "And you told me today my form wasn't very good, and that just added to the displeasure I have of riding the bike."

(A reporter had suggested that Bradford's bike seat was too low for full leg extension.)

At least Bradford was out of the walking boot Tuesday.

"It feels better than it did last week that's for sure," Bradford said. "I still haven't really tested it as far as running and putting much stress on it. But it felt good enough to get out of the boot, which is a positive sign. I think the plan's still day-to-day, see how it feels."

What about the risk of further injury by trying to play again this season?

"You know, any time you play football there's a risk of injury," Bradford said. "Whether the risk of re-injuring this or creating further damage is more now than a couple weeks ago, I don't know. I'm sure Reggie knows more about that than me, but that's really not a concern to me. If it's good enough to go, it's good enough to go."

Bradford watched the Monday night contest between Pittsburgh and San Francisco with much interest as Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hobbled around with a high ankle sprain of his own. It was clear that Roethlisberger was affected by the injury in terms of his movement and throwing motion. And it cost the Steelers in a 20-3 defeat in which Roethlisberger committed four turnovers — three interceptions and a lost fumble.

"I think for him to even be out there, it says a lot about him," Bradford said. "To go out there on however many — nine, 10 days — rest after suffering that injury, it's tough to play with. He battled through it ... and it says a lot about his character."

Bradford hopes to test his ankle before the week's out, first with some light exercise, and if that goes OK, he'll then try some football activity. But Spagnuolo reiterated that more so than ever, the Rams aren't going to rush Bradford into action.

"It's not a push thing to find out where is," Spagnuolo said. "Right now, it's pretty much rest."

Meanwhile, A.J. Feeley remains sidelined because of a fractured thumb and almost certainly won't be available this week.

"We still want to get him to the point where he can squeeze a football," Spagnuolo said. "He's not quite able to do that yet. He's still got a little bit of swelling in there and obviously the thumb on his throwing hand is a pretty important item when you're a quarterback, and it's just not right. He can't function throwing the ball right now."

So it looks as if Kellen Clemens will get his second start as a Ram on Saturday in Pittsburgh. But Clemens, in his third week in St. Louis, already knows the drill.

"My understanding is that if Sam can go, he will," Clemens said. "If they tell me, 'you're going,' then be ready, and that's just kind of my approach."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bradford Eager To Return, But...

I admire Bradford for wanting to play through his injury, but I think we've learned by now that there's everything to risk and really nothing to gain at this point in the season by doing so, especially given who the Rams close out by playing.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Dear Sam Bradford,

As you know by now, accuracy is obviously affected by high ankle sprains and losing to the Whiners with one shows that with my experience.

Sincerely,

Ben Roethlisberger
    Nick likes this.

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

Sam just relax. With or without you this weekend it will be a massacre. You will get sacked at least 5 times. Stay healthy so maybe we can trade you.

Thanks

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 1980RAMS View Post
    Sam just relax. With or without you this weekend it will be a massacre. You will get sacked at least 5 times. Stay healthy so maybe we can trade you.

Thanks
    Sam's not going anywhere this year. If Sam doesn't produce next year though, Id say the Rams are going to be in, big trouble.?

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Sam's not going anywhere this year. If Sam doesn't produce next year though, Id say the Rams are going to be in, big trouble.?
    You mean if he gets another offensive system and no talent at WR? I'd say that Sam has the ability to be a good QB in this league we just have to keep him in a stable offensive system and actually give him people to throw to other than Brandon Lloyd. The return of Amendola will be huge next season. Add Blackmon to the team and I'll be delighted.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

if im spags, i sit him, no reason to put our franchise qb in harms way. i admore his effort and drive, but the HC should know when to shut someone down in a lost season.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

What does everyone expect him to say? Ofcourse hes doing to get out there, but after all, he wont mkae that decision. Im sure they will make sure his ankle isnt re-injured.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I admire his toughness but he needs to realize that the season has long been over.