Bradford gets limited work in practice

BY JIM THOMAS
Sunday, December 11, 2011

After resting his injured left ankle all week, quarterback Sam Bradford went for a test spin Saturday at Rams Park. Bradford got limited work during the team's final full-scale practice before Monday night's game in Seattle but moved around fairly well.

"The test here is come out, do the work, see how it feels tomorrow," coach Steve Spagnuolo said following practice. "Again, we are treading lightly and going safe. I can tell you this, if you could've seen the look in his eyes when I told him he wasn't going to play last week, that's hard to do. You know him. But we'll see."

If Bradford's ankle feels reasonably good Sunday and Monday following Saturday's work, he will be back in the lineup against the Seahawks. He was officially listed as questionable on the team's injury report.

Kellen Clemens got most of the work Saturday in just his second practice since being claimed on waivers from Houston.

"I think I said this yesterday, I am thoroughly impressed with his command in the huddle and the spitting out the verbiage and just some little things I saw in there," Spagnuolo said. "He was lining up, moving running backs over. He did a nice job with it."

Meanwhile, Tom Brandstater worked almost exclusively with the scout team Saturday after getting the lion's share of the work with the starting offense the rest of the week.

Miller's knee

The Rams have suffered injuries in just about every way imaginable this season. Cornerback Bradley Fletcher suffered a season-ending knee injury during a bye week practice. Left tackle Rodger Saffold suffered a season-ending torn pectoral muscle lifting weights on the Friday before the first Seattle game. Running back Cadillac Williams hasn't played since suffering a calf injury jogging out to the huddle Nov. 13 against Cleveland.

This Friday, fullback Brit Miller suffered a knee injury warming up for practice. He did not practice Saturday and wasn't even on the practice field.

"It's real questionable right now," Spagnuolo said. "He feels like he might be able to go (Monday); it just didn't feel right today. ... I think we got over some hurdles with MRIs and checks and all that, but it didn't feel right to go."

The Rams don't use a fullback much; Miller usually is in for about eight to 10 plays per game. But he has been an effective lead blocker, and with the offensive line battling injuries, his presence would help. He's the only true fullback on the roster, so if he can't go, the Rams might have to use tights ends Billy Bajema and Stephen Spach in the backfield if a play calls for a lead blocker. Miller also is one of the Rams' best special teams players.

Other injuries

Quarterback A.J. Feeley (thumb) and running back/kickoff returner Quinn Porter (abdomen) were officially ruled out Saturday for the Seattle game. Without Porter, Nick Miller is the most logical candidate to return kickoffs, although Jerious Norwood remains available.

Defensive end Chris Long (ankle) got limited work in practice Saturday after missing practice the rest of the week and is listed as questionable. Nonetheless, he's expected to play against the Seahawks. He didn't practice at all last week but played against San Francisco and registered his 12th sack of the season.

After missing two games with a pectoral muscle injury, Mark LeVoir was full participation for the second day in a row Saturday and is expected to start at left tackle. Defensive tackle Fred Robbins (back) did not practice all week and is questionable.

Tight end Lance Kendricks was not at practice Saturday because of a family-related matter but will accompany the team to Seattle and play Monday night.