MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Bradford has mixed feelings about changes ..

BY JIM THOMAS

DALLAS • At the last press gathering of his rookie season, the day after the Rams' disheartening loss to Seattle, quarterback Sam Bradford talked about taking his knowledge of the offense to the next level.

He wanted to go beyond the base reads, go deeper into the progressions, and if not master the West Coast scheme at least become more comfortable.

Oh, well, there's a reason many in the NFL say the initials stand for Not For Long. Less than two weeks into the offseason, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur was hired as head coach of the Cleveland Browns. A week later, after formally announcing the hiring of new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo announced that quarterbacks coach Dick Curl was retiring.

"Yeah. I definitely will be starting over, which to a certain extent is kind of frustrating," Bradford said. "Just the fact that a part of me wishes that our system would've remained the same. It would've made it a lot easier for me."

On the other hand, he's looking forward to working with McDaniels.

"If you look at what Josh has done with some of his offenses in the past, what his quarterbacks have been able to do, I'm extremely excited for this opportunity," Bradford said. "I can't wait to get into the (playbook) with him and just learn about what we're going to do next year.

"Obviously, I'm going to have to learn a lot. But I feel like I was able to handle everything that they threw at me last year. Having a year's experience under my belt, I think it'll even make this process easier."

Bradford has spoken several times on the phone with McDaniels since McDaniels was hired to replace Shurmur.

"We still really haven't gotten into a lot of detail about the offense," Bradford said. "I think that's something that we're going to do after the Super Bowl. So that's something that I'm really looking forward to in the coming weeks."

After a few weeks of rest and relaxation back home in Oklahoma, Bradford will be heading to St. Louis in the near future to get together with McDaniels.

"Whether it be for a week, a couple days, a couple weekends, I'm not sure," Bradford said. "That's something we're going to have to work out with our schedules. But I can't wait to get back up there and get back at it."

Bradford already has formed some initial impressions of McDaniels, just off their phone conversations.

"He seems like he's got great energy," Bradford said. "Every time I talk to him, he's extremely excited. I hope he brings that energy to our team, and to our offense. I think the guys will really feed off of it. I think he's got a passion for the game. You can tell that just by talking to him. He loves football."

In Denver, where McDaniels was head coach for most of two seasons before being fired in December, the Broncos ran lots of shotgun, lots of spread formations, and featured lots of downfield throws. None of that appeals to Bradford, does it?

"No, no, no," Bradford joked. "I don't really like any of that. It doesn't really sound much fun to do that."

But seriously ...

"You look at what Denver did this year, they were throwing it all over the place," Bradford said. "(Kyle) Orton had a great year; put up some great numbers. I'm really excited if that's the direction that we go in. I'm extremely excited about that."

The day after the Rams hired McDaniels, Bradford said he was contacted by Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel, who played for McDaniels in New England.

"Matt just told me if I ever had any questions about the system, not to hesitate to call him," Bradford said. "He'd be more than happy to talk to me about the system.

"There's guys out there who are willing to help. I think once I get into it a little bit more, or once I start to have questions about it, that's when I'll probably reach out to some other guys and just ask them kind of what they thought about Coach McDaniels. What they thought about his offense. What helped them learn it. How they processed the information that was given to them."

In the meantime, Bradford wants to contact Shurmur and Curl and thank them for helping him navigate through his rookie season.

"Those are obviously two big changes for me, the fact that our offensive coordinator and our quarterback coach both left this year," Bradford said. "But you know for Pat, I think it's a great opportunity. I'm excited for him. I hope he has all the success in the world except for when we play him."

(The Rams play at Cleveland next season.)

"And Curl leaving, he was huge this year just in my development," Bradford said. "The fact that he's going to retire, that's a decision he made for him and his family. I respect that."

A familiar scene on game day was Bradford and Curl sitting together on the sideline, going over pictures and talking things over while the Rams' defense was on the field.

"He'd always point out things that defenses were trying to do to stop us, things that I might not be able to pick up on the field," Bradford said. "So coming over there and sitting on the bench with him was always very helpful for me."

As for Shurmur, he guided Bradford through the learning process in the West Coast scheme.

"He really just broke it down for me," Bradford said. "He taught me how to stay within myself. Taught me how to go through my progressions. Really everything about an offense in the NFL, how it's supposed to be run."

Bradford drove down from the Oklahoma City-Norman area Tuesday for a round of appearances, including an extended tour of Radio Row at the Super Bowl media center, where dozens of sports talk stations from around the nation are camped out this week.

Bradford is sporting a new buzz cut these days as a result of an endorsement deal with AXE Hair. AXE is coming out with what it calls a buzzed look cream, and Bradford is helping to pitch the product.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford has mixed feelings about changes ..

I know it's early days and a lot will happen between now and September. Hopefully some good free agent signings and a good draft. But I just hope that a lot of you fans out there, are going to be realistic about the enormity of the task at hand for Bradford, and the rest of the offense?
    PATIENCE is going to be needed, especially at first. ROME WASNT BUILT IN A DAY. Im sorry if I am coming across as a pessimist, but I believe in being realistic too. If Im wrong, Ill be the first to hold my hands up.
    I am not harbouring doom and gloom, trust me! I expect a new, improved Ram team myself.
    What I am hoping for though, is people not getting ahead of them-selves, which is something I have been guilty of in the past?
    We wont know for sure until the season starts, but on paper we do have a much tougher schedule. The games lost in our division, was our downfall last season. I do expect us to remedy that, in the upcoming season.?
    GO RAMS

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

All that article told me about Sam is that he is diplomatic, humble and honest.

I already knew that.

DHawkins is offline Registered User

Sammy is killing it right now on Dan Patrick Show

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The day after the Rams hired McDaniels, Bradford said he was contacted by Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel, who played for McDaniels in New England.

"Matt just told me if I ever had any questions about the system, not to hesitate to call him," Bradford said. "He'd be more than happy to talk to me about the system.
    WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! This is a conspiracy! That was not Cassel on the phone. You guys know I have some friends in a very secret government agency that allows me to know certain things. Here's a transcript of that call and the moments surrounding it:

Jim Harbaugh: Okay, so we agree Pete's gonna make the call?

Ken Wisenhunt: Yea, you do it, Pete.

Pete Carroll: Okay, okay, it's ringing now.

---ringing---

Sam: Hello.

Pete Carroll: Oh hey, Sam; this is....er, Matt Cassell from Kansas City.

Sam: Hi, Matt. What can I do for you?

Pete Carroll: Oh no, Sam, it's what can WE, er I mean I do for YOU?

Sam: What?

Pete Caroll: Well, you know that I, Matt Cassell, have played for Josh; and I just wanted you to know that I'd be glad to fill you in on some secrets of his offense.

Sam: Well, thanks.

Pete Carroll: Yea, sure.....uh, the first thing to know is that Josh likes to run the Immaculate Reception play.

Sam: You mean like the old Steelers pass....

Pete Carroll: Yea, he actually calls for that. The trick is to throw it directly at the opposing defense.......especially when you're playing division teams.

Sam: Really, Matt?

Pete Carroll: Oh yea yea......um, also you should hold the ball at least 12 seconds before you pass, and stand perfectly still while you're counting to 12......slowly.

Sam: Uhh, I don't know, Matt.

Pete Carroll: Also, Josh is a big Star Wars fan, so you're gonna want to just keep your eyes closed and use the "force" when you're on the field. Okay, Jedi?

Sam: Gee, Matt, I think I gotta go. Thanks for calling. (click)

Jim Harbaugh: Think he went for it?

Pete Carroll: Oh yea, I worked in LA for several years. I'm an awesome actor.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-02-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! This is a conspiracy! That was not Cassel on the phone. You guys know I have some friends in a very secret government agency that allows me to know certain things. Here's a transcript of that call and the moments surrounding it:

Jim Harbaugh: Okay, so we agree Pete's gonna make the call?
    Ken Wisenhunt: Yea, you do it, Pete.
    Pete Carroll: Okay, okay, it's ringing now.
    ---ringing---
    Sam: Hello.
    Pete Carroll: Oh hey, Sam; this is....er, Matt Cassell from Kansas City.
    Sam: Hi, Matt. What can I do for you?
    Pete Carroll: Oh no, Sam, it's what can WE, er I mean I do for YOU?
    Sam: What?
    Pete Caroll: Well, you know that I, Matt Cassell, have played for Josh; and I just wanted you to know that I'd be glad to fill you in on some secrets of his offense.
    Sam: Well, thanks.
    Pete Carroll: Yea, sure.....uh, the first thing to know is that Josh likes to run the Immaculate Reception play.
    Sam: You mean like the old Steelers pass....
    Pete Carroll: Yea, he actually calls for that. The trick is to throw it directly at the opposing defense.......especially when you're playing division teams.
    Sam: Really, Matt?
    Pete Carroll: Oh yea yea......um, also you should hold the ball at least 12 seconds before you pass, and stand perfectly still while you're counting to 12......slowly.
    Sam: Uhh, I don't know, Matt.
    Pete Carroll: Also, Josh is a big Star Wars fan, so you're gonna want to just keep your eyes closed and use the "force" when you're on the field. Okay, Jedi?
    Sam: Gee, Matt, I think I gotta go. Thanks for calling. (click)
    Jim Harbaugh: Think he went for it?
    Pete Carroll: Oh yea, I worked in LA for several years. I'm an awesome actor.
    Just as I suspected!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hubison View Post
    whoa, whoa, whoa!!! This is a conspiracy! That was not cassel on the phone. You guys know i have some friends in a very secret government agency that allows me to know certain things. Here's a transcript of that call and the moments surrounding it:

jim harbaugh: okay, so we agree pete's gonna make the call?

ken wisenhunt: Yea, you do it, pete.

pete carroll: okay, okay, it's ringing now.

---ringing---

sam: hello.

pete carroll: oh hey, sam; this is....er, matt cassell from kansas city.

sam: hi, matt. What can i do for you?

pete carroll: oh no, sam, it's what can we, er i mean i do for you?

sam: what?

pete caroll: well, you know that i, matt cassell, have played for josh; and i just wanted you to know that i'd be glad to fill you in on some secrets of his offense.

sam: Well, thanks.

pete carroll: yea, sure.....uh, the first thing to know is that josh likes to run the immaculate reception play.

sam: You mean like the old steelers pass....

pete carroll: Yea, he actually calls for that. The trick is to throw it directly at the opposing defense.......especially when you're playing division teams.

sam: Really, matt?

pete carroll: oh yea yea......um, also you should hold the ball at least 12 seconds before you pass, and stand perfectly still while you're counting to 12......slowly.

sam: Uhh, i don't know, matt.

pete carroll: Also, josh is a big star wars fan, so you're gonna want to just keep your eyes closed and use the "force" when you're on the field. Okay, jedi?

sam: gee, matt, i think i gotta go. Thanks for calling. (click)

jim harbaugh: Think he went for it?

pete carroll: oh yea, i worked in la for several years. I'm an awesome actor.
    lmao!!!!!!!

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Yeah I definitely think he's being politically correct. But I also was a bit surprised when he said part of him would have liked to stay in the WCO. That part, I believe, is actually how he feels and not part of being PC or tactful. But I'm sure its true. He may or may not regress, and no one wants to start from square 1 all over again. I'm sure he'll be fine though, he's already shown he's smart enough to handle it.

Things that might make Bradford regress
    New system/playbook

Things that might make Bradford progress
    Potentially better system for his skills
    Better receivers
    One year of experience under his belt
    More efficient (hopefully) running game

I'm betting on progress.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Reading articles like this make me hope there's football next year. I'll be exited for next season once I know there will be one. But I have a lot to be exited for once a CBA deal gets done.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Well, with that new haircut of his, I'm not sure anyone can stop him. By the way, the St. Louis Rams official website has a new video of him at the Super Bowl. It may just be me (I WAS out in the snow for 5 hours today), but doesn't his voice sound a little deeper?

On a more football related note, Sam won't have any problems with the new playbook. It not as if he's starting all over again; I know that separate playbooks have to have at least a few of the same plays.