Rambos is online now Registered User

Bradford Hoping to Be Ready

In the span of just a few days since suffering a high sprain in his left ankle last week against Green Bay, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has gotten a crash course in medicinal education.

“I think I’ve now experienced about every modality of treatment that we have in that training room today,” Bradford said Wednesday.

Bradford spent Wednesday going through every treatment imaginable for his ankle as he tried to heal enough to play Sunday against Dallas. He followed the same path again on Thursday.

Those treatments include everything from basic elevation and icing to “stem pads” that serve as a sort of electroshock treatment for the ankle.

More than anything, though, it’s enough ice to make a glacier blush.

“A lot of ice,” Bradford said. “I have a Gatorade cooler at home now filled with ice that I pretty much stick my foot in any time I’m at home now. Other than that, I really don’t know. They just hook me and we go.”

In fact, Bradford went through so many treatments that coach Steve Spagnuolo can’t keep track and is putting his faith in something less tangible.

“Status quo,” Spagnuolo said. “There’s really no change. He’s got every gadget and gizmo known to America in there trying to get him healthy. We’ll see where we’re at tomorrow.”

Bradford took every snap for the Rams last year and proved his durability beyond the shadow of doubt by taking hit after hit this year.

Always hesitant to come out of a game, Bradford is especially excited to play this weekend when the Rams travel to Dallas.

That’s because Cowboys Stadium is as close to a homecoming as Bradford will come while he’s in the NFL. Dallas is just more than three hours from Bradford’s childhood home outside Oklahoma City.

This week, Bradford has been deluged with ticket requests from friends, family and Sooners alike.

“I do,” Bradford said. “And I would hate to get tickets for people to watch me stand on the sideline, so hopefully I’m getting tickets for people that are going to see me play.”

That’s not to say that Bradford wouldn’t be doing everything possible to play if the game wasn’t in Dallas.

“I’m definitely doing everything I can to play…whether we were playing in Dallas or in Alaska, I’m going to do everything I can to play every Sunday,” Bradford said. “But, I’ve had this Dallas game circled for a while now knowing that it is about as close to home as I get. It’d mean a lot for me to play down there, so hopefully I’ll be ready.”

That begs the question of what it will take for Bradford to be considered “ready” enough to play against the Cowboys, a team with a fearsome pass rush and one that could do some serious damage against a quarterback with limited mobility.

The Rams have just one more practice before traveling to Dallas, leaving Bradford only one more opportunity to work in the game plan before the game. But it might not be necessary for him to play.

“You would like to have him function somehow in the game plan,” Spagnuolo said. “I am just going to wait and see. I don’t really know on that one. I will be praying all week that he will be able to get out here and practice a little bit and be OK, but I just really don’t know.”

Because the ankle isn’t Bradford’s plant foot, it stands to reason he’ll be able to tolerate the pain a little more easily.

“From everything I understand the joint is stable, so it is going to be about my pain tolerance and how much I can tolerate on Sunday,” Bradford said.

For Bradford to play against Dallas, it will come down to that pain tolerance. And while he’d like to get some practice work in, it’s probably not mandatory.

“I don’t think I have to practice,” Bradford said. “It would be nice if I could later in the week, but I don’t think that’s a must. Obviously, I have to be able to drop back. I have to be able to have some mobility where I’m not just standing back there. But other than that, I don’t think it’s much more than that.”

WORLD SERIOUS: In another simple twist of fate, for the second week in a row the Rams are playing a team from the state that their baseball counterparts are playing in the Major League Baseball playoffs.

Last week, the Rams took on Green Bay while the Cardinals played Milwaukee in the National League Championship Series. This week, the Rams take on the Cowboys as the Cardinals take on the Texas Rangers.

This time, it hits even closer to home as Cowboys Stadium and the Ballpark in Arlington are essentially neighbors.

Spagnuolo is close with Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa and the two talked before the start of the series Wednesday night. But not all Rams are as clearly pro Cardinals.

Receiver Mark Clayton grew up about 15 minutes from the Ballpark in Arlington.

“It’s not far at all,” Clayton said. “We used to bike to the ball park in Arlington and watch baseball games and stuff. It’s literally right around the corner.”

Clayton isn’t completely pro-Rangers, either. He’s become close friends with outfielder Matt Holliday and third baseman David Freese and is hoping the Cardinals do well also.

“I like the Rangers, I do,” Clayton said. “I have really good friends on the Cardinals, so my heart is torn right now.”

INJURY REPORT: For the second day in a row, defensive end C.J. Ah You sat out practice.

Ah You has an infection in his hand from where he had surgery which forced him to have the pins removed sooner than expected. He also did not practice again and his status for Sunday remains up in the air.

Two other Rams did not practice Thursday.

Safety Quintin Mikell was absent as he was at a local hospital with his wife, who gave birth to a child.

Cornerback Brian Jackson suffered a knee injury and was held out of practice. Spagnuolo indicated he won’t be available this weekend.

“He’s got a knee injury right now,” Spagnuolo said. “He’s day to day. We’ll see where we’re at. Another corner with an injury. We have them about once a week, right about that it seems. Hopefully he’s not too bad we can’t get him back next week.”

RAM BITS: Guard Jacob Bell and defensive tackle Gary Gibson are this week’s gameday captains…left tackle Rodger Saffold is OK and practicing fine this week after suffering a bruised ankle last week.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bradford Hoping to Be Ready

I will be shocked if Bradford doesn't play. A hobbling Bradford is better than a healthy Feeley.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'd be worried if Bradford played Sunday, as much as I want this to be our 1st win, I would rather have Bradford playing through the 2nd half of the season healthy. A questionable O-line with a sack machine like DeMarcus Ware spells disaster for our injured QB.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Nope! It's time to push all the chips into the middle of the table.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    A hobbling Bradford is better than a healthy Feeley.
    True, but behind this inconsistent line, I'd rather not risk Bradford to further injury if he's not 100% and his injury is one that could affect his mobility on the field.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    True, but behind this inconsistent line, I'd rather not risk Bradford to further injury if he's not 100% and his injury is one that could affect his mobility on the field.
    Agreed. It would be irresponsible to risk injuring him further if he isn't ready. Lest we forget, Dallas' pass rush could do damage given the pathetic play of our offensive line. I'm not so sure he's gonna' be sharp anyway- he hasn't practiced all week.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Agreed. It would be irresponsible to risk injuring him further if he isn't ready. Lest we forget, Dallas' pass rush could do damage given the pathetic play of our offensive line. I'm not so sure he's gonna' be sharp anyway- he hasn't practiced all week.
    One question I have is, if Bradford can't play, who becomes the back-up for Feeley? I wouldn't be surprised if Feeley gets the start but Bradford is active and serves as the "emergency QB."

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One question I have is, if Bradford can't play, who becomes the back-up for Feeley? I wouldn't be surprised if Feeley gets the start but Bradford is active and serves as the "emergency QB."
    It was stated in an article earlier in the week that if Bradford couldn't go, the Rams might elevate the immortal Tom Brandstater from the practice squad to serve as the backup to feeley.

Watch out, Dallas.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Safety Quintin Mikell was absent as he was at a local hospital with his wife, who gave birth to a child.
    Congrats Q!! Also, thanks for being the safety we'd hoped you'd be so far. Keep making plays!!