r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford Looks Forward To Better Protection

Bradford looks forward to better protection

BY KATHLEEN NELSON
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Rams coach Jeff Fisher uttered two statements Tuesday that were music to the ears of quarterback Sam Bradford.

First, Fisher reiterated in his introductory news conference the two factors he sought when he began to explore job opportunities for the coming season: "One was a good owner, the other was a quarterback."

A meeting Jan. 5 with owner Stan Kroenke satisfied the first. A meeting with Bradford a few days later seems to have gone just as well, though Bradford said that unlike Kroenke, he wasn't in recruiting mode.

"I really tried to be myself," he said. "I wouldn't be anything other than how I am. I didn't want to give him a false impression of who I was. It was a time for us to meet, to learn a little more about each other. If that helped along the process, helped get him here, then I was happy to help get him here."

Second, Fisher listed the tenets of his offensive philosophy: "It's a team that's going to run the football and protect the quarterback."

The lack of protection helped make 2011 a year to forget for Bradford, who was sacked 36 times and missed six games because of a high ankle sprain that has yet to heal completely. Bradford said the topic came up in that first meeting and again Tuesday morning, before Fisher was introduced officially.

"He said whoever he brings in here as offensive coordinator, that will be a top priority," Bradford said. "Anytime you can hear that and be reassured of that, it makes my job a lot easier."

The down side to Fisher's hiring is that Bradford will be working with his third coordinator in as many seasons. Bradford was named the NFL offensive rookie of the year in 2010 under coordinator Pat Shurmur, who became head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Shurmur was replaced by Josh McDaniels, who left the Rams to rejoin the Patriots last week.

"Would I like to be in the same offense I was in my rookie year and be going into year three? Yeah, but that's not the case," Bradford said. "I think going through the past two years will make this transition easier. I know what it's like. I know what it was like to learn an offense as a rookie and last year, learning McDaniels' offense, I think both those experiences will make this easier and I'm looking forward to it."

Because Fisher was hired after just a two-week search and hopes to fill his staff soon, Bradford and the rest of the Rams' offense will have more time to absorb a new scheme than last year under the lockout.

"I felt like the sooner we got that done, the sooner we got that figured out, the sooner whoever that coach was could put his staff together, the easier it would make it on us because the quicker we could start learning the system," Bradford said. "To have it done only two weeks after the season and for Coach Fisher to be the guy, I'm really excited about that. I'm really looking forward to playing for him."

Fisher said his staff would include a quarterbacks coach to speed Bradford's development. McDaniels attempted to wear both hats in 2011.

"This year was difficult," Fisher said. "I think you have to look back at his success, his progression the first year. It was difficult for a lot of reasons: the lockout and lack of time together in the offense. I think he has the chance to be a top quarterback in the National Football League very soon."

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford Looks Forward To Better Protection

Well it seems Fisher can see Bradford needs more help keeping his feet and more development; not that 2011 pre-season was evident enough. Never wanted Josh McD. in the first place and his system. Now if Fisher can improve the o-line, get a solid number 2 QB and RB, the Rams ought to to better on offense

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Fisher must like the prospect of Bradford, he must be the best QB he has coached since McNair

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Well it seems Fisher can see Bradford needs more help keeping his feet and more development; not that 2011 pre-season was evident enough. Never wanted Josh McD. in the first place and his system. Now if Fisher can improve the o-line, get a solid number 2 QB and RB, the Rams ought to to better on offense
    This is the main reason I'm so high on Jeff Fisher. He will not tolerate poor O-Line play on his teams. Its one of the main characteristics of a Jeff Fisher Football team, and for that I'm truly grateful. As SJ39 said "QB's have been taking a beating for far too long in St.Louis." This is what stands out the most for me too, over the last ten years. Even above the chronic run defense problems, over the same period.?
    The big difference now, is that when Fisher says something, I actually believe him. That's a refreshing change from the previous HC's who have worked here.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.