Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Bradford makes good first impression

Associated Press

Bradford makes good first impression

By R.B. FALLSTROM , 04.30.10, 04:12 PM EDT
    ST. LOUIS -- Sam Bradford was so nervous about his first NFL practice, he woke up before an alarm clock set for 6 a.m.
    Add in a bubbly enthusiasm evident by his high five with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur during the opening practice of a three-day rookie minicamp Friday, and the St. Louis Rams have to feel pretty good about investing the first pick of the draft on the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from Oklahoma.

Bradford's summary: "It was a blast out there today."
    After the first of two practices Friday, coach Steve Spagnuolo complimented Bradford's poise and take-charge attitude. The Rams issued abbreviated playbooks to their draft picks last weekend, and Spagnuolo said Bradford appeared to have absorbed everything.
    Bradford refused to campaign for the starting job and Spagnuolo was noncommittal about the Rams' plans for easing him into the lineup, judging that question way too premature.
    "You're way ahead of me," Spagnuolo said. "We don't have to play a game yet. Nothing preconceived."

That's fine with Bradford.
    "I think it's way too early to start making those type of statements," Bradford said. "I've only gone through one practice and I've only seen a very small portion of the playbook. All I know is I'm going to show up and help this team win."
    It was much easier to take charge with this group, too. The Rams invited 67 players to the minicamp, including 11 draft picks, but most players will be headed home after the tryout.
    "I wanted to see his command of the huddle, his interaction with teammates," Spagnuolo said. "He's not around a bunch of veterans, so that's another test. He kind of stepped to the forefront, you could tell he was the guy that's done this before."
    Bradford made a one-of-the-guys impression on the other draft picks when he texted them all to say he was glad to be teammates. Then he impressed them on the field.
    "All in all it's like we've got a connection," said wide receiver Mardy Gilyard, a fourth-round pick from Cincinnati. "We're developing a nice little relationship."
    Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, the Rams' second-round pick out of Indiana, is Bradford's roommate for the weekend. Bradford even scores high on that account.
    "Oh, he's very clean," Saffold said. "The first day is usually the day where, you know, 'Maybe I shouldn't have had this guy,' but he's real cool, real chill."
    Shurmur and quarterbacks coach Dick Curl gave Bradford some telephone tutoring earlier this week, helping to ease the tension before his first professional workout. First workout since a season-ending shoulder injury last October, too.
    "I was definitely a little nervous," Bradford said. "It's been a long time and I really wasn't sure how it was going to go as far as the schedule and the practice.
    "Once I got out there, I felt really comfortable. I really enjoyed it, it was just fun being out there with the guys."
    The Rams, 1-15 last year and 6-42 the last three seasons, are pinning their long-term hopes on Bradford, who's wearing jersey No. 8.
    Two of the other rookies are wearing jersey numbers that used to belong to a pair of seven-time Pro Bowlers. Saffold has No. 76 (Orlando Pace) and Gilyard has No. 81 (Torry Holt).
    "Why set the bar low?" Gilyard said. "Have me reach out for something I need to get. It keeps you hungry, keeps you wanting to be better, and be better and be better and be better and be more better and be more better, and eventually be the best."

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

While I believe the numbers 76 and 81 should be retired, my favorite part was finding out that Mardy Gilyard is wearing 81 and Rodger Saffold is wearing 76. Those are VERY big shoes to fill!

Also ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have found the leader of our football team.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford makes good first impression

That is what I like to hear.

Although I would also like those 2 numbers to be retired, I guess it symbolizes a new Rams era, with Bradford at the helm, and a new Orlando and new Torry in the building.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I don't really like the whole "retire the number" thing. I understand that it shows respect for the great players of the game, but honestly anyone who has their jersey retired is probably going in the teams ring of honor and maybe the hall of fame. It just seems like a bit of overkill to me.

On another note I like that Sam is taking control a little bit early. I really want to hear what some of our veterans think about him as the pick. Anyone got a quote from SJ, Bartell, or maybe Avery?

Edit: spelling

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm so damn excited for this season, just to see these guys and to watch them grow as football players. I agree with O1d 0rd3r, I like that Gilyard will be wearing 81 and Saffold will be wearing 76...They are certainly giving themselves high standards which is awesome.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

39thebeast is offline Registered User

81... Good riddance to the teen squad?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Rams' Sam Bradford at rookies camp

Anyone care for a little video on the first practice.

Mods this is not spam, it is a link to a video on stltoday. PLEASE BLEAVE MEH!

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post

Good stuff.

I like to hear that Bradford is taking control, and showing his leadership.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good to know of SB's positive first days of actual work with the Rams. So much to go, so much work ahead it isn't even funny. ...All the best to this young QB and the Rams new season.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

im so pumped for this season. Bradford is such a level headed guy and a great leader. any idea how his contract situation is going?

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

wow.. good to hear so far... It will be interesting to see off season... looks like I'm getting direct Tv this year

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jackson3909 View Post
    im so pumped for this season. Bradford is such a level headed guy and a great leader. any idea how his contract situation is going?
    Agreed. I really like Bradford's attitude. He's definitely leadership material. His contract situation has me a bit nervous though (I'm just a worrier by nature). Hopefully, he's set on getting signed and getting to camp on time. Any delay puts him way behind on getting that first start.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Agreed. I really like Bradford's attitude. He's definitely leadership material. His contract situation has me a bit nervous though (I'm just a worrier by nature). Hopefully, he's set on getting signed and getting to camp on time. Any delay puts him way behind on getting that first start.
    I think the only way that he won't make training camp on time is if his agent tries to get him more money.

Seeing Bradford, he just doesn't seem like the type of guy that would hold out for more money. I see him as a guy that just wants to play football, and help the team win.

I'm not too worried about the contract negotiations, since there's no reason to right now. I hope that remains the case.

Trevor is offline Registered User

These 2 better not make the number 91 and 76 look bad.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Question is how long will the front office take to get the deal with Bradford done. Last thing we need is our rookies missing time in camp.
    Just Fix It

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post

Good stuff. It's nice seeing those guys in the horns.

However, do we normally have 67 guys at the rookie mini? I thought there was usually the draft picks, and then another dozen or so guys.......like maybe 20, 25, maybe 30 total?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast