Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bradford nailed it tonight, and that deserves recognition

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford nailed it tonight, and that deserves recognition

Sam Bradford was on the receiving end of a lot of criticism after last weekend’s Dallas performance, criticism that I think based on his play brought up some valid points.

Tonight, Sam stepped up and responded to those criticisms with an outstanding performance.

Let’s get the prefaces out of the way. Yes, it was against Baltimore’s second-string defense. Yes, it was in the fourth preseason game, which most coaches don’t treat very seriously. Even Pead, who has not been that impressive in the preseason so far, had some good moments.

But that doesn’t change the fact that Bradford displayed many of the fundamentals that we as fans, myself included, criticized him for not demonstrating last week. And that deserves praise, if we at all value fairness and objectivity in our observations.

Look, I don’t care if the 300-pound defensive lineman in your face is the starter or the third string. You still have to stand tall in the pocket, read what’s going on down field, and make a play. Sam did that tonight.

Some examples.

On three separate instances in the red zone, Sam stood in the pocket (let’s also make sure we rightfully praise the offensive line for what was overall a positive night as well in terms of protection), found his receiver on the crossing route over the middle, and threw with the kind of accuracy and ball placement that allowed his receivers to avoid defenders and head into the end zone after the catch.

Early in the contest, despite pressure collapsing the pocket in front of him, Sam held his ground and lofted a deep ball into the air, giving Steve Smith a great opportunity to make an outstanding catch down the field.

Later in the game, when pressure from the right side closed in on Sam, he evaded and advanced into the open field, keeping his eyes down the field and making a fantastic throw to Mulligan only to have the tight end drop it. This is the kind of pocket mobility and presence that fans saw in Tony Romo last weekend, that they wanted to see in Sam.

Well, he just showed it to us. Those like me who were concerned about it, concerned about Sam, should be over the moon. Because this is what we were asking to see, and we saw it. Heck, Sam practically shoved it in our faces.

Too many times, when things go wrong, we as fans are quick to bring out the criticisms and debate them in great lengths. But when things go well, when our team shows us something positive and encouraging, when our concerns are answered with demonstrations to ease them, shouldn’t our voices be even louder? Shouldn't we spend even more time celebrating that?

Well, let the celebration begin. Sam Bradford responded tonight by looking comfortable in the pocket, decisive with his throws, and displayed the kind of pocket mobility and awareness fans wanted to see.

What a great way to head into the 2012 season!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford nailed it tonight, and that deserves recognition

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Sam Bradford was on the receiving end of a lot of criticism after last weekend’s Dallas performance, criticism that I think based on his play brought up some valid points.

Tonight, Sam stepped up and responded to those criticisms with an outstanding performance.

Let’s get the prefaces out of the way. Yes, it was against Baltimore’s second-string defense. Yes, it was in the fourth preseason game, which most coaches don’t treat very seriously. Even Pead, who has not been that impressive in the preseason so far, had some good moments.

But that doesn’t change the fact that Bradford displayed many of the fundamentals that we as fans, myself included, criticized him for not demonstrating last week. And that deserves praise, if we at all value fairness and objectivity in our observations.

Look, I don’t care if the 300-pound defensive lineman in your face is the starter or the third string. You still have to stand tall in the pocket, read what’s going on down field, and make a play. Sam did that tonight.

Some examples.

On three separate instances in the red zone, Sam stood in the pocket (let’s also make sure we rightfully praise the offensive line for what was overall a positive night as well in terms of protection), found his receiver on the crossing route over the middle, and threw with the kind of accuracy and ball placement that allowed his receivers to avoid defenders and head into the end zone after the catch.

Early in the contest, despite pressure collapsing the pocket in front of him, Sam held his ground and lofted a deep ball into the air, giving Steve Smith a great opportunity to make an outstanding catch down the field.

Later in the game, when pressure from the right side closed in on Sam, he evaded and advanced into the open field, keeping his eyes down the field and making a fantastic throw to Mulligan only to have the tight end drop it. This is the kind of pocket mobility and presence that fans saw in Tony Romo last weekend, that they wanted to see in Sam.

Well, he just showed it to us. Those like me who were concerned about it, concerned about Sam, should be over the moon. Because this is what we were asking to see, and we saw it. Heck, Sam practically shoved it in our faces.

Too many times, when things go wrong, we as fans are quick to bring out the criticisms and debate them in great lengths. But when things go well, when our team shows us something positive and encouraging, when our concerns are answered with demonstrations to ease them, shouldn’t our voices be even louder? Shouldn't we spend even more time celebrating that?

Well, let the celebration begin. Sam Bradford responded tonight by looking comfortable in the pocket, decisive with his throws, and displayed the kind of pocket mobility and awareness fans wanted to see.

What a great way to head into the 2012 season!
    Absolutely right, Nick, on all counts. This is exactly the type of performance we needed to see going into the regular season in 10 days. Bradford was sharp with both his throws and his pocket presence. This is the Sam Bradford we asked for- and hope to see for much of the regular season. Aside from Dallas, Bradford's output this pre-season was very good, and I'm encouraged we'll see outstanding play from him this season.

Can't wait for Sunday the 9th.
    RealRam likes this.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

With protection, he showed accuracy and awareness. There were also alot of guys wide open. I think there are reasons for cautious optimism, though.

On the other hand, he is going to Detriot for the opener. We are going to find out quickly how effective Bradford can be under pressure. Lets hope for the best, as always.

richtree is offline Registered User

Did baltimore start any frist string players on defense ?

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

I'm gonna wait until he does it against Detroit, before I get up in arms over his play. I will admit however, that coming off of last year, it is good to see him do well against anybody.
    RealRam likes this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

wow, apparently some people just refuse to give him any credit.

So there's a difference between standing in the pocket and throwing an excellent pass against a 2nd string linemen who weighs 300lbs and a 1st string one? Come on. Nick wasn't saying he is the greatest thing since the invention of the QB for beating a 2nd string defense, he was saying he displayed the things people wanted from him.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Great game by Sam. We all seen what he can do with some time. Pin point accuracy, stood tall in the pocket, made great decisions and throws, and moved the chains and most importantly, scored. Lets hope to see this kind of production every week!

THE DREAM TEAM

Haste is offline Registered User

Great game all around. Hopefully this is just what the team needed. Plus a confidence boost!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

watch out detroit here we come! go rams!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

He built on that last series against Dallas where he refused to crumple in the face of adversity. Sam Bradford showed his moxy and perserverance tonight with a lights out performance. Now he has to translate it to the regular season. I think he's up to the task.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

I realize you all try to stay positive about the rams but this wasnt a starting defence we just played against. How do we even know exactly how good we are without playing against an opponents first string? Weve seen this all before for alot of years now, im not sure well be any good again this year. I thought fisher and company could work a miracle.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    I realize you all try to stay positive about the rams but this wasnt a starting defence we just played against. How do we even know exactly how good we are without playing against an opponents first string? Weve seen this all before for alot of years now, im not sure well be any good again this year. I thought fisher and company could work a miracle.
    So are you saying we should feel bad about the game tonight?? It was a solid performance going into the regular season. I'll certainly take it and feel good about it too.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I for one am so glad the regular season starts next weekend. No more this that or the other. Let's unveil who we really are....tough gig opening in Detroit but I can't wait.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Absolutely right, Nick, on all counts. This is exactly the type of performance we needed to see going into the regular season in 10 days. Bradford was sharp with both his throws and his pocket presence. This is the Sam Bradford we asked for- and hope to see for much of the regular season. Aside from Dallas, Bradford's output this pre-season was very good, and I'm encouraged we'll see outstanding play from him this season.

Can't wait for Sunday the 9th.

Totally agree, NJ. Yes sir. Feel good game, for sure! Excellent review Nick.

Now ... it's time for that critical consistency to kick in but at least the hope factor is there and well justified. Thank youuuuu Sammieeeee!

All the best to our Rams QB and the rest of the offense.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    So, because the Lions will have players injured and suspended next week, does that mean that if we win, we won't have proven if we are any good because it won't have been against their first string offense and defense? They may be starting their 4th string running back... does that mean that anything that the defense does next week is meaningless?
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast