MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bradford is ready to jog your memory

By Bryan Burwell
    Jul 31st 2012

Just in case you haven't been paying attention, the NFL's insatiable publicity whirlwind is up to its old impatient games again.

In its haste to instantly christen the newest, hottest, youngest, coolest "It Guy," every once in a while the media stampede will blow right over its last sensational young star-in-waiting before he barely has time to clear his throat, much less grow comfortably into his anointed star status.

So I suspect Rams quarterback Sam Bradford — the NFL's 2010 "It Guy" — must have a mess of footprints on his back after his rocky 2011 season. The publicity machine (and for that matter a significant portion of the sporting public) has practically stampeded over him in its zest to seek out its newest serious infatuations with last season's rookie sensation Cam Newton and this year's new flavors of the week Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck.

Sam Bradford?

Heck, he's yesterday's news to the short-attention-span crowd. But to a lot of smart football people such as Jeff Fisher, this is the season that will not only remind everyone why Bradford was the NFL's offensive rookie of the year two seasons ago, but also why the third-year quarterback was one of the main reasons Fisher chose the Rams over the Miami Dolphins last winter when he was deciding which team to coach.

Everything that Fisher hopes this team can be in his first year — particularly his firm belief that this team can transform from last year's 2-14 disaster into an immediate NFC West contender — hinges on Bradford living up to the potential he displayed as a dazzling rookie quarterback.

"His potential is extremely, extremely good," Fisher said after Monday's afternoon practice.

You needed to see the look in the coach's eyes when he said "extremely, extremely good."

Fisher is not one of those guys who's about hype. He's about real. He's about the unvarnished truth. He doesn't toss around praise lightly, so when you saw that look in his eyes as he said "extremely, extremely good," just imagine a hungry man who had just savored a bite of a superbly grilled sirloin.

When he was asked what he needed out of Bradford for the Rams to live up to his lofty expectations for 2012, Fisher's answer was simple as can be.

"The things that we're seeing from him right now," he said. "A really good understanding of the offense, not afraid to practice, not afraid to pull the trigger, (learning) from the mistakes, just taking charge. And that's what he's doing. He's done a great job, he's making some great throws. You're already seeing him develop a relationship with even the young receivers already. You saw today him throwing to (Brian) Quick all day. Those things are important. He's right on track."

Of all the stories in this training camp, Bradford is the most compelling — and maybe the most essential — of them all.

But he needs to be the old Sam Bradford again, the kid who was the No. 1 draft pick in 2010 and had all the NFL buzzing about his talent and his potential to be the sort of passer who can lead teams to Super Bowls. He has to be that guy again.

And how motivated is he to be that guy?

"Ohhhhh, very," Bradford said as he strolled off the practice field. Again, you should have seen the look in his eyes when he spoke. He flashed one of those expressions that made you feel the yearning in his competitive gut.

"Obviously, I've said from the beginning that I put more pressure on myself than anyone on the outside could ever put on me,'' he said. "I expect myself to play at an extremely high level. Sometimes I'm not sure that the level that I expect myself to play at is realistic, but that's always what I'm shooting for. That's what I'm out here right now trying to accomplish."

He won't tell you specifically what that level is, but here's an educated guess. It goes well beyond Pro Bowl level. It goes to that rarefied level where legends are made. And the only standard that matters at the quarterback position in the NFL is how many Super Bowl rings you own.

Bradford doesn't want just a Super Bowl ring. He wants a collector's set. He wants to lead the Rams to victories and playoffs and championships. He's only been on the field for two days, and what goes on during pro football training camp practices can often alternate wildly between the undisputed truth and just another provocative tease.

But Sunday and Monday afternoon, what you saw out of Bradford were the kind of big-armed, accurate throws that make defensive coaches shudder and offensive coaches imagine the possibilities.

He's relatively healthy again, and with an additional 10 pounds of muscle added during the offseason, he intends to stay healthy. And if he does, we should see more than flashes of his potential. We should see the full realization of every prediction that he can be as good and dangerous as a young Troy Aikman. That's the sort of ability he displays as he strong-arms balls into ridiculously tight windows in heavy coverage. That's the sort of ability he flashes when he lofts splendid spirals on 50-yard bombs down the sidelines.

He can't wait to turn things around. He can't wait to jog the memories of the folks with the short attention spans who were clamoring for the Rams to keep that No. 2 pick in the draft, draft Griffin and send Bradford off in a trade. And you know what? I can't wait either, because I still believe this kid has the arm, the smarts and the competitive fire to take the Rams back to respectability.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford is ready to jog your memory

You needed to see the look in the coach's eyes when he said "extremely, extremely good."
    How can you see his eyes through those classes.

You saw today him throwing to (Brian) Quick all day. Those things are important. He's right on track."
    That's music too my ears!

He can't wait to turn things around. He can't wait to jog the memories of the folks with the short attention spans who were clamoring for the Rams to keep that No. 2 pick in the draft, draft Griffin and send Bradford off in a trade. And you know what? I can't wait either, because I still believe this kid has the arm, the smarts and the competitive fire to take the Rams back to respectability.
    I'm in this camp as well. He's going to have the last word! You read how competitive this guy is, kinda reminds me of MJ. Ping Pong, Bowling and or Golf, whatever, he hates to lose and that's what makes great players elite players.
    Last edited by Rambos; -07-31-2012 at 02:52 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bradford is ready to jog your memory

He's relatively healthy again, and with an additional 10 pounds of muscle added during the offseason, he intends to stay healthy.
    Relatively healthy? I'm not sure I like the sound of that.