Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bradford says ankle still not 100 percent

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford says ankle still not 100 percent

Bradford says ankle still not 100 percent
    11 hours ago BY JIM THOMAS

Sam Bradford isn't walking with a limp. He seems to be moving around as good as ever on the practice field. Nonetheless, the Rams' quarterback told reporters following Saturday's practice at the Edward Jones Dome that his ankle still isn't 100-percent healthy.

"It's close," Bradford said. "I think it's as good as it's going to feel. It's something that we're managing right now. I've been able to take every snap so far without any setbacks and I think that's a positive sign."

Bradford suffered a severe high ankle sprain in Game 5 last season against Green Bay, and it sidelined him for most of the rest of the season.

Is he surprised that the ankle situation has lingered this long?

"Yeah, it is a little bit frustrating that it's somewhat there still," Bradford said. "I thought that with rest in the offseason, it would've been gone by now. But it's not. I've talked about it with Reg (trainer Reggie Scott). I understand what his plan is, and I think we're doing as good as we can right now in managing it."

Fan Fest a success
    Players, coaches, fans, and team officials all seemed to enjoy Saturday's practice at the dome, billed as the Rams' first annual Fan Fest.

"I was told that there were almost 13,000 people here," coach Jeff Fisher said. "So we were excited that they came out to see what we're about. And we'll continue to invite them out to training camp, encourage them to come out, and of course we need their support in the preseason."

The turnstile count was 12,753 at the dome, but two turnstiles weren't operating. In addition, there was no head count taken at the Broadway Central entrance. Season-ticket holders kicked field goals and threw footballs around on the floor of the dome prior to practice. And there was a long line of fans early on waiting to take a tour of the Rams' locker room. (As a result of the tour, the Rams dressed in the visitors' locker room Saturday.)

The Rams' new team store opened for business Saturday. Team officials said there was as much merchandise sold Saturday as is the case during an average regular-season game.

The players got a kick out of playing in the dome, especially the rookies and younger players.

"You can see," Fisher said. "They tape up and they put little bands on and things."

Running back Steven Jackson said he preferred holding this practice in the dome. During the previous three training camps, the Rams have scrimmaged at Lindenwood University on this weekend in camp.

"It actually acts as if a dress rehearsal for us for next week, getting ready for Indy and the preseason games," Jackson said. "There's a lot of young guys that were in our venue for the first time, so they can get that out of the way. So when it's time to try to win jobs in the next four to five weeks, they can just really hone in on the game and not think about being in awe of the venue."

The Rams open the preseason Aug. 12 at Indianapolis.

Injury update
    There were several new names added to the injury list. Offensive tackle Rodger Saffold, tight end Lance Kendricks, offensive lineman Ryan McKee, tight end DeAngelo Peterson, and defensive tackle Trevor Laws did not practice Saturday. All were sidelined with leg soreness or tight hamstrings.

"It's legs and we're just being smart," Fisher said. "When you get indoors and the lights go on, they have a tendency to play fast, and we had some bumps and some bruises. We didn't want to subject them to any serious pulls. We hope to have everybody back next week."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford says ankle still not 100 percent

W-T-F?!?! Hope this really blows over soon

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"It's close," Bradford said. "I think it's as good as it's going to feel. It's something that we're managing right now. I've been able to take every snap so far without any setbacks and I think that's a positive sign."
    It's as good as it's going to feel?? Does that mean it's not going to heal completely? Bradford is probably okay under normal circumstances, but what happens when a DE is charging him, loooking to take his head off, and he has to react with maximun force on the ankle? I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.
    RealRam likes this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

uhhh hey guys let's keep playing our obviously seriously injured quarterback in hopeless games. That won't back fire.

wait...
    Nick, THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It's as good as it's going to feel?? Does that mean it's not going to heal completely? Bradford is probably okay under normal circumstances, but what happens when a DE is charging him, loooking to take his head off, and he has to react with maximun force on the ankle? I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.
    That specific quote made me a bit nervous as well. Saying "I think it's as good as it's going to feel" translates (IMO) as, "It's not 100% nor is it going to be 100% any time soon."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Or maybe it simply means "I can still tell that it was injured, even though it does not hinder me in any significant way."

Haven't any of you ever had an injury?

I tore my ACL 20 years ago, and I can still feel the injury. That does not mean it hinders me in any way.

Truth is, most NFL players will tell you that they can't remember the last time they were 100%. Heck, Dan Marino played his entire NFL career on a bum knee.

I think what Sam is suffering from is a severe case of honesty.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -08-06-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

And also, possibly, a sore leg.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Or maybe it simply means "I can still tell that it was injured, even though it does not hinder me in any significant way."

I tore my ACL 20 years ago, and I can still feel the injury. That does not mean it hinders me in any way.

Truth is, most NFL players will tell you that they can't remember the last time they were 100%. Heck, Dan Marino played his entire NFL career on a bum knee.

I 2nd that emotion. I had my ACL reattached 25 years ago (1987) and outside from some occasional swelling there is little it won't let me do.

But then I'm not running for my life from or trying to outmaneuver NFL linemen, either.....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Let's hope our Oline will keep Bradford's jersey clean.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fliptalianstallion View Post
    Let's hope our Oline will keep Bradford's jersey clean.
    You know? This whole thing about SB's ankle is just a forced incentive to get the OL to step up!

Seriously...

"Yeah, it is a little bit frustrating that it's somewhat there still." -- SBradford
    I believe in Bradford. I also want to believe in our docs and trainers! Fix that foot already!

From an old interview with John Madden:

John recalled asking Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk before a game if he was 100%.
    “‘I’ll tell you the last time I was 100%,’” Faulk had said.

“The last time he was healthy was the day before he played his first NFL game,” recalled Madden.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Ahh yes, the ligament tear and sprained ankle, exactly the same severity of injury!

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Ahh yes, the ligament tear and sprained ankle, exactly the same severity of injury!
    I could just as easily draw a distinction between the 10 months since Sam's injury and the 20 years since mine but, of course, that's not the point.

The point is, if you ask Sam this question: "Is your ankle 100%?" - the answer you get may not tell you much.

If someone were to ask Sam: "do you think your ankle will hinder your play?" and he responds "yes, it could" - then I'll be worried.

Until then, I'm not going to worry about whether Sam thinks his ankle is 90%, 95% or 99%.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I severely sprained my ankle back in 1988...cast and the whole bit. After a few weeks, I could walk without a limp but I could feel that ankles added susceptibility/fragility for YEARS after. I reckon thats where Sam is at.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Another good example is Kurt Warner. I doubt he would have described his throwing hand as "100%" during his entire tenure with Arizona.

The bottom line is that, while we all would prefer is Sam was "100 healthy," I think the concern over this ankle is overblown at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast