Battering_RAMS is offline Registered User

Bradford vs. Eli Manning

Via the NFC West mailbag, Ryan from Montreal sees parallels between Eli Manning and Sam Bradford through their first three seasons.

Both quarterbacks were drafted No. 1 overall in their classes. Both endured criticism during some rocky stretches. Both also flashed the talent that made them highly drafted players.

Eli Manning vs. Sam Bradford: 1st 3 Yrs.

QB Manning Bradford
    Seasons 3 3
    Games 41 42
    W-L 20-19 15-26
    Comp. 690 873
    Att. 1,276 1,498
    Pct. 54.1 58.3
    Yards 8,049 9,378
    YPA 6.3 6.3
    TD-INT 54-44 45-34
    NFL rating 73.2 77.3
    Sacked 66 105
    Total QBR -- 42.3
    Source: ESPN Stats & Information

We know how the story has played out for Manning. He moved past the early struggles, becoming a top starting quarterback (most of the time) and winning two Super Bowls.

"I could be wrong," Ryan writes, "but I feel like some of the rhetoric Bradford is experiencing existed with Manning. Though Manning had a better record, a quick look at their stats reveals they are not too dissimilar."

Good idea, Ryan. The chart shows statistical similarities. We do not yet have Total QBR figures before 2008, but the traditional stats line up pretty closely in areas such as yards per pass attempt.

Manning did enjoy one tremendous advantage. The New York Giants organization has been among the most stable in the league. Manning has had the same head coach, Tom Coughlin, and offensive coordinator, Kevin Gilbride, for the duration of his career. Bradford has had two head coaches and three offensive coordinators in his first three seasons.

Manning and the Giants broke through with a Super Bowl victory in Manning's fourth season. Manning finished that 2007 regular season with 23 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions. The ratio was 6-1 in the playoffs as the Giants won road games against Tampa Bay, Dallas and Green Bay before upsetting New England in the Super Bowl.

The Giants went from 8-8 in Manning's third season to 10-6 in his fourth. Bradford and the Rams were 7-8-1 last season. Conventional wisdom says the Rams will be the third-best team in the NFC West. The 2007 Giants finished second to Philadelphia in the NFC East. Before that season, 16 of 16 ESPN analysts picked someone other than the Giants to win the NFC.

Battering_RAMS is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford vs. Eli Manning

I always thought Bradford compared closely to Eli and these stats prove it. I am however surprised to see that Sam has the advantage in many categories. Hopefully he can make it to the next level with new weapons and an improved o-line.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I think we can all agree Eli had a better supporting cast to work with as well. I wonder how much better Bradfords stats would be with a much better line and receivers like Eli had. I guess we will find that answer out this season

p.s. i still hate that the Giants benched Warner in favor of Eli after he went 5-4 and had a two game losing streak at the end of those 9 games. Eli went 1-6 the rest of the season. Oh well.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I think we can all agree Eli had a better supporting cast to work with as well.
    Not to mention the stable coaching situation and continuity in the offensive scheme.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

tempests is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post

p.s. i still hate that the Giants benched Warner in favor of Eli after he went 5-4 and had a two game losing streak at the end of those 9 games. Eli went 1-6 the rest of the season. Oh well.
    One thing you should keep in mind, though, is they'd have to scrape Kurt off the field by the end of the season. He was on pace to be sacked over 60 times.

I saw one of his Giant games live, in Minnesota in 2004. Just did not look like the same QB, indecisive and tentative in the pocket. As long as Tiki was running the ball well, Kurt was OK, but in more of a game manager role than gunslinger.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Bradford haters, where are you?!

Mikey is offline Registered User

The supporting cast will be a huge help to Sam. The biggest thing he can work on is his consistency. I think he can be a very good QB just has to do it day in and day out. He can't have games like he did last year vs the Jets, Bucs, Bills, and Bears to name a few. Granted he had some down games in wins vs the Cards and they're a decent defense.

I'm really pulling for him I just wish he'd be more consistent.

shower beers is offline Registered User

105 sacks. Ouch. We need to clean that up for any of this to mean something.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Other quarterbacks had a similar career path to Eli Manning as well and never rebounded. Just because Bradford has similar stats to Eli during his first 3 years doesn't guarantee success. However, I believe the future is bright for Bradford and he'll probably end up having a better career than Eli.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    105 sacks. Ouch. We need to clean that up for any of this to mean something.
    We didn't give up a sack the last two games with a patchwork O-line. Bradford's been getting better in the pocket and not locking into receivers, with the upgrade at our O-line expect him to do some of the magic we've seen at Oklahoma.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Other quarterbacks had a similar career path to Eli Manning as well and never rebounded. Just because Bradford has similar stats to Eli during his first 3 years doesn't guarantee success. However, I believe the future is bright for Bradford and he'll probably end up having a better career than Eli.
    Always true, and probably more often true than not. Still worth noting that other players have had ups and down their first three years and went on to be successful.

For what it's worth, my "connections" (I.E. talking to random people in New Orleans, as the Mannings grew up here, I run past their old high school) the general consensus here was that Eli was always a better talent than Peyton, but Peyton was a much better student of the game. I don't think either of those are Bradford's problem, I think it's mainly been the lack of consistency in the front office and talent in the field. That said, no one can be mired in mediocrity for long and not share in the blame. Bradford needs to show improvement along with the rest of the team.

I am still confident he will put it all together. He has more tools to work with now, hopefully he does something good with them.