Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Bradford vs. Suh

I think this season is a great example of how drafting is as much about fit as it is about talent. There was a heavy debate on Suh vs. Bradford. Both are having great years so far. Suh has been downright amazing, and from a stat perspective, you could even argue that Suh is having a better rookie year at DT (he is a leader in many DT stats - e.g. 8th in league in sacks, leading all DT's in sacks, 1 interception and 1 fumble recovery for a TD as a DT), than Bradford is having at QB. Yet, the choice of Bradford was best for the Rams and Suh will be a beast for the Lions for years to come.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford vs. Suh

As someone who wanted to draft Suh as soon as the Nebraska-Texas game was over, I can say without blinking that Suh is my least favorite player in the NFL right now. He just rubs me the wrong way. For example, taunting the Redskins on his way into the endzone was in a word, classless. Suh doesn't even enter the conversation when talking about the intangibles of Sam Bradford.

What I find more interesting is how the second best QB in the draft didn't even see the field against us, even though their starting QB threw 3 picks and couldn't get their offense going at all.

Sure Suh has played very well, but you cannot even compare the effect a DT has on the game vs how much the general of the offense effects it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

As great as Suh has been, the franchise qb beats the stud (even if he makes the HOF) defensive tackle. For our team, it was the right pick regardless of what happens in the future. I dont believe any nfl team in our circumstances would have taken suh over bradford.

The more interesting thing to me is the comparison of Suh to Jason Smith and Chris Long, both of whom are showing that they can contribute, neither of whom remotely resembles the productivity of Suh, even 8 weeks into his nfl career.

Another interesting point is the conversation around suh being only slightly ahead of McCoy. I always thought that comparison was ridiculous based on the common opponents in college and the material difference in productivity, but so far, Suh has been head and shoulders above McCoy, who looks like a typically transitioning NFL defensive tackle, while Suh looks like a pro bowler already.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The more interesting thing to me is the comparison of Suh to Jason Smith and Chris Long, both of whom are showing that they can contribute, neither of whom remotely resembles the productivity of Suh, even 8 weeks into his nfl career.
    It just goes to show that where you are drafted doesn't matter. You draft position depends a lot upon need. Suh came out as a #1 overall talent, but didn't get #1 overall due to another player with #1 overall talent who fit the needs of the team picking first. That is the only reason he was drafted in the same place as Chris Long and Jason Smith.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I cant not put into words how happy I am that we picked bradford. Keep in mind that I was a Suh supporter until after bradfords pro day. I believe we made the right choice. Now with that being said I am very happy that Suh is playing well. I will continue to be a suh fan for his career duration.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Rams have 23 sacks, tied for 6th in NFL ...

Rams have 7th best run defense ...

Ndamakong who?

Keenum is offline Registered User

Both of these guys have been incredible, and as of now should be the offensive and defensive rookies of the year.

For us, it looks like Bradford was the right choice. I think Suh would have still played well here, but the Rams needed a QB, and it looks like we may be looking at a gem!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Rams have 23 sacks, tied for 6th in NFL ...

Rams have 7th best run defense ...

Ndamakong who?
    Exactly. The Rams defense is playing lights out and the Rams offense has a future superstar under center. I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Ndamakong who indeed.

svh01 is offline Registered User

i have to admit Bradford has been a good pick. i was a suh supporter, and i still would love to have him. just think of the beast spags could created with him. i think they have both proved that they were worthy of their draft positions.

Molotov is offline Registered User

The biggest difference I've noticed between Bradford and Suh is, Suh appears to be an idiot, while Bradford is a composed, well-mannered, confident young man.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Question you have to ask: how many games would the Rams have won this year if they had taken Suh over Bradford.

I can pretty much guarantee it's less than the 4 we have won already.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Am I confused here?
    Lions 2-5 and last in their division
    Rams 4-4 and second.
    I think we can see who was the better pick!!!!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Suh is a great pass rusher. However:

Detroit Defense gives up 130.4 rushing yards per game, 4.9 YPC
    Detroit Defense gives up 350.3 total yards per game and 23.6 PPG

St. Louis Defense gives up 97.6 rushing yards per game, 4.3 YPC
    St. Louis Defense gives up 313.9 total yards per game and 17.6 PPG

It's clear from this that we made the perfect pick.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Another interesting point is the conversation around suh being only slightly ahead of McCoy. I always thought that comparison was ridiculous based on the common opponents in college and the material difference in productivity, but so far, Suh has been head and shoulders above McCoy, who looks like a typically transitioning NFL defensive tackle, while Suh looks like a pro bowler already.
    Suh gets sacks. That's where he excels. McCoy is a fun stuffer. You'll never get the recognition you deserve as a premier run stuffer because it doesn't make the highlight reals.

I was in favor of Bradford from the very beginning but Suh has far outperformed what I feared he would become. So often, speed rushers in college from the DT position become worthless in college because their speed becomes something NFL quality guards can counter. SUH is FAR more dominant than I ever expected.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Suh gets sacks. That's where he excels. McCoy is a fun stuffer. You'll never get the recognition you deserve as a premier run stuffer because it doesn't make the highlight reals.
    Interesting you would say that because, prior to the draft, there were several pundits who argued that McCoy was the better pass rusher. I thought they were crazy then, and it would seem I was right.

I was in favor of Bradford from the very beginning but Suh has far outperformed what I feared he would become. So often, speed rushers in college from the DT position become worthless in college because their speed becomes something NFL quality guards can counter. SUH is FAR more dominant than I ever expected.
    I'm not all that shocked at Suh's performance. He's a great talent, and he has good talent around him on the Lions' DL.

Still, as many have noted, the best DT in the world is still never going to be as valuable as an upper-tier QB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast