Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bradford and WR/TE dropping Passes...

richtree is offline Registered User

Bradford and WR/TE dropping Passes...

These points back up the Rams 2,3,4th round selections. It goes against the points I make on why we should have taken different players but I wanted to show that I consider all information and there are some good points here:

From Rotoworld via Bernie Miklaz

Only four quarterbacks in the NFL had their completion percentages affected more by dropped passes than Sam Bradford, according to STATS LLC.

These stats were compiled by Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Bradford had 36 passes dropped in 2010, and only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady had more drops from their receivers. Bradford's two biggest offenders were Brandon Gibson (8.8% of his targets dropped) and Billy Bajema (8.3%). This may help explain St. Louis' decision to draft pass catchers with great hands like Lance Kendricks, Austin Pettis, and Greg Salas.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford and WR/TE dropping Passes...

Watching the Rams' games, this stat is not surprising at all and only makes these selections seem that much better. Were they the 'sexy' picks? No, but perhaps in retrospect we'll all be cheering that Devaney is our GM. Hopefully!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Goodbye Laurent Robinson, Brandon Gibson, Mardy Gilyard, and Daniel Fells. Comes as no surprise to me neither.
    Dwight Frye and ZiaRam like this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Anyone notice Bernie can't do math? He said 4 quarterbacks had their rating affected more. Then he said only manning and brady had their rating affected more.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Anyone notice Bernie can't do math? He said 4 quarterbacks had their rating affected more. Then he said only manning and brady had their rating affected more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Miklaz
    Only four quarterbacks in the NFL had their completion percentages affected more by dropped passes than Sam Bradford....only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady had more drops from their receivers.
    So this means the other guys ahead of Bradford must have had more dropped passes from TE's, & RB's.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

As it ranks per team Most dropped passes-
    Indy-45
    Detroit-41
    Cards
    Pats
    Rams-36

Of starting QB's on Manning and Brady had more dropped passes than Bradford.

The list that drop passes includes people like Gibson (8.8%), Bajema (8.3%), SJ39 (8.0%), Kenneth Darby, Amendola (6.5%), DX (5.4%), Clayton (4.8%), Fells (4.6%), HoHo (4.5%), Robinson (4.0%).

THIS IS THE REASON WHY WE TOOK PEOPLE WHO CAN CATCH THE FOOTBALL!!!!

I live in the WAC and have seen Salas more than a few times, He is a excellent sidline reciever! You should see all those Chris Carter type catches he has made. Bernie reaffirmed alot of this on his show but its true. Im always skeptical about the things Bernie says but he seems to be coming around recently.

Another point of insight alot of negative things I been hearing is our WR's we took aren't Al Davis Raider fast guys who can run but can't play football to save their lives. Jerry Rice's 40 at the combine was 4.70 or a 4.71 ( I get two different numbers in searches) and 4.6 in college.
    40 yd. times of our 3 WR prospects-
    Kendricks 4.75 6'3 243 lbs.
    Pettis 4.61 6'3 205 lbs.
    Salas 4.56 6'1 210 lbs.

I won't lie I was critical those first two days till I calmed down and realised they might not been all players I was familiar with outside of Salas and Quinn and flashy to everyone else but players that will fix our woes and fit our system. Imagine if we had just two recievers that could of got open in that seattle game last year and catch a ball? Thought that's the point of being a WR in the NFL right? We will not be a serious playoff contender until we get this fixed as well as a couple of other areas on the team. WE DID GOOD!

just need Fa to fix our other holes... good thing I think no matter how you cut we sit good to fill them in FA.

p.s. Goodbye Gibson, Bajema, Darby, Robinson, Gilyard

dx, clayton, salas, pettis, amendola, avery? not a bad list at all....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    THIS IS THE REASON WHY WE TOOK PEOPLE WHO CAN CATCH THE FOOTBALL!!!!
    Exactly. The Rams really didn't have a shot at a #1-type receiver with Green going fourth overall and the Falcons moving up for Jones @ 6. So their Plan B? Find guys who (1) are reliable targets, (2) will help sustain drives, and (3) can become red-zone threats.

Clearly dropped passes was an issue the Rams were concerned with, and the stats back that up. That's probably why they favored sure-handed targets over bigger name prospects like Hankerson, who has had issues of his own with drops.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I can assume Robinson and Gibson are gone, after that one poor play by Gibson who couldn't be able to catch a ball through traffic nor run the quality routes and Robinson's inconsistency pretty much cost them a ticket out of St. Louis. Our TEs will consist of Kendricks (catching), Hoomanawanui (balanced), and Bajema (blocking or both if we're facing a team with a laughable defense). Gilyard will probably stay in the practice squad seeing that he's a more elusive, less intelligent version of Avery.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

One thing I felt was lacking in the passing game last year was the ability to work the seam down the middle of the field. For all his qualities, a guy like Amendola simply is not big enough to be a primary option on slant patterns into the teeth of the headhunters. Kendricks, Pettis and Salas (and Hoomanawanui as well) can work this part of the field, leaving guys like Avery, Clayton and Alexander to work the outside routes.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I can assume Robinson and Gibson are gone, after that one poor play by Gibson who couldn't be able to catch a ball through traffic nor run the quality routes and Robinson's inconsistency pretty much cost them a ticket out of St. Louis. Our TEs will consist of Kendricks (catching), Hoomanawanui (balanced), and Bajema (blocking or both if we're facing a team with a laughable defense). Gilyard will probably stay in the practice squad seeing that he's a more elusive, less intelligent version of Avery.
    You know I could see Gilyard on the practice sqaud, he has so much physical ability just needs to get his mental together, he would be a great option if someone gets hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    One thing I felt was lacking in the passing game last year was the ability to work the seam down the middle of the field. For all his qualities, a guy like Amendola simply is not big enough to be a primary option on slant patterns into the teeth of the headhunters. Kendricks, Pettis and Salas (and Hoomanawanui as well) can work this part of the field, leaving guys like Avery, Clayton and Alexander to work the outside routes.
    Without a doubt! I'm really anxious to see how this works out. Alot of our drives that could of been kept alive with a 3rd down conversion with one of these guys down the middle or opening someone else up would of been instrumental from our games last year. We will need this in playing tougher teams to be sucessful and have a chance to win those ball games. If we can pickup A Guard in FA and a couple of Defensive pickups we will be able to have a well rounded team to make a push for our division.
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -05-03-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly. The Rams really didn't have a shot at a #1-type receiver with Green going fourth overall and the Falcons moving up for Jones @ 6. So their Plan B? Find guys who (1) are reliable targets, (2) will help sustain drives, and (3) can become red-zone threats.

Clearly dropped passes was an issue the Rams were concerned with, and the stats back that up. That's probably why they favored sure-handed targets over bigger name prospects like Hankerson, who has had issues of his own with drops.
    Well said Nick. I hope alot of the people who have a negative view of this draft read this thread, you make some great points. Drops are why I didn't want the Rams to take Hankserson or Torrey Smith

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree and would add that these guys are smart. We know why Marty never played. This year with the lockout, these rookies will have even less time to get the playbook down. Who knows we might only have a couple of preseason games to get ready.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Gents, could we quit with the "Marty isn't intelligent" meme.

We may not know everything associated with what's going on there. For all we know he could have a condition of some sort. Example: Audiological Processing Disorder will ofter appear as someone not getting it/or paying attention, when in fact they could very easily be processing what they took in, but in a way different from what someone without APD would process. They could very easily be showing signs of Ashburgers without actually having it. Basically, it wouldn't necessarily mean that the person is unintelligent.

I doubt very many of us are qualified to post on the intelligence of other people. From all accounts I've read, he's a good kid and he is still a RAM.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -05-05-2011 at 05:38 PM.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Gents, could we quit with the "Marty isn't intelligent" meme.

We may not know everything associated with what's going on there. For all we know he could have a condition of some sort. Example: Audiological Processing Disorder will ofter appear as someone not getting it/or paying attention, when in fact they could very easily be processing what they took in, but in a way different from what someone without APD would process. They could very easily be showing signs of Ashburgers without actually having it. Basically, it wouldn't necessarily mean that the person is unintelligent.

I doubt very many of us are qualified to post on the intelligence of other people. From all accounts I've read, he's a good kid and he is still a RAM.
    No one has stated that Gilyard is mentally retarded, only that his JOB IQ, what he does for a living IQ, apparently is not there. You can't deny this and if you have any excuses for him then heck might as well bring back Cogs, or Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russel because they just learned differently right?, maybe no one gave them a chance?

NOW HEAR THIS- The NFL is a what have you done for me now league. How long has it been since Gilyard has had a chance to catch up and hasn't? Mark Clayton was with us exactly how long before he fit into our offensive scheme? Knew the plays? Ran the called for routes? Absolutely no excuses for Mardy Gilyard or anyone else that is not cutting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast