View Poll Results: Is this Bradford's last excusable game?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 46.15%
  • No

14 53.85%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is this Bradford's last game with excuses??

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Is this Bradford's last game with excuses??

Let me just state for the record that I am a Bradford supporter and I think he HAS NOT got a fair shake to prove himself with playing behind a injured/shaky O-Line, WR's who don't know how to catch or seperate from a defense which made them mostly a one dimensional offense at times.

I am however thinking with the current roster that will be here for him next season, Fisher and Snead's pick up's in FA and the draft this might be the LAST GAME he will have for anyone to give him a justifiable excuse. Next year is about the time for him to show why he was the #1 pick and why we have been patient with him all this time.

What say you?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I don't like the word "excuse" in this context, as it takes on a pejorative meaning. Hopefully, next year he'll have the tools to be successful.
    THOLTFAN81, cfh128 and lostsoul like this.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Re: Is this Bradford's last game with excuses??

i don't want to say excuses either

but i'd give him at least a few games next season if there's a good amount of new personnel to form a rhythm and such

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't like the word "excuse" in this context, as it takes on a pejorative meaning. Hopefully, next year he'll have the tools to be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i don't want to say excuses either

but i'd give him at least a few games next season if there's a good amount of new personnel to form a rhythm and such
    Ya, I was kind of hesistant to use that word when I posted this thread but I couldn't think of a better word and didn't have a thesaurus handy to help me out! lol
    But I am very interested what other Ram fans think of this...
    Ram187 likes this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

No excuses next year, even if they are semi justified... 4yrs in the league, he has to showcase himself to everyone including himself

cfh128 is online now Registered User

I refuse to vote in this poll because I don't care for the wording of the title. Saying that Sam has used "excuses" carries the connotation that Sam has had a bad year. I don't believe this is the case. Is he the best QB in the league? No. Is he playing at the same level as some of the rookies in this past season? No. But did he have a bad season? Absolutely not. I believe that this has been Sam's best season yet. He isn't putting up gaudy numbers but he has shown that he is the QB you want leading your team in clutch situations and he is doing it with a very mediocre supporting cast. I think with an improved offense and another year in the same system (finally!) Sam will start to emerge as one of the top young QBs in the league.
    clarasDK and jmk321 like this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Let me just state for the record that I am a Bradford supporter and I think he HAS NOT got a fair shake to prove himself with playing behind a injured/shaky O-Line, WR's who don't know how to catch or seperate from a defense which made them mostly a one dimensional offense at times.

I am however thinking with the current roster that will be here for him next season, Fisher and Snead's pick up's in FA and the draft this might be the LAST GAME he will have for anyone to give him a justifiable excuse. Next year is about the time for him to show why he was the #1 pick and why we have been patient with him all this time.

What say you?
    I think the answer depends on Fisher/Snead rather than Bradford.Mixed bag,imo, this first influx. Whatever our hopes for Quick & Pead, they can only be described as non-factors in their first year. Steve Smith was a flop. What if next year's rooks/FAs have a similar mix ? You just don't know. Throw injuries into the equation & it gets even less clear what a bad season may tell you needs to be excused about Sam. Still a team sport.

The best news,imo, was Fisher's statement that the offensive system would not change if Schotty left. Another factor beyond Sam's control but certainly critical to how his season will be perceived .

If you're asking if I think he'll tear it up next year IF this team continues to improve around him and a second year in the same scheme for the first time , the answer is absolutely yes. I guess you could call those excuses but I think most of us call it real life.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-29-2012 at 04:06 AM.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Find him a true #1 WR. Amendola and Pettis are solid, Givens and Quick have potential, Kendricks is coming on, but none of them are game-breakers. You can see the "special" in Bradford occasionally, but he never seems completely comfortable. Almost like he has to try too hard to find the open guy, because none of them are predictable (except Amendola, but he doesn't have the prototypical size/speed of a #1).
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Dictionary.com
    pe·jo·ra·tive-
    adjective
    1. having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force...

I had to look this one up since I don't use it on a daily basis...

Anyway, my thought is not many QB's "are the team", except for maybe Brady, Manning and potentially RG3 in this modern era. Most QB's are a part of a team meaning that it takes a supporting cast to make them competitive with the rest of the league. We all know our team has been a mess for years in that regard and Sam had little chance of success with that against him. There are a lot that think 50 million guaranteed plus another 30 million in potential earnings makes it mandatory that you will be premiere QB, which it doesn't. That is simply what the market (or team) was willing to pay for that player at that moment (see Jamrcus Russel).

So for me, I simply watch and see where this young athlete can take us with his potential with no hate or demand for justice if he doesn't "step-up", but rather simple observations of his play with all factors included. At this point I see a man that has faced huge challenges under stress, yet often times I also see him over/under throw, fumble the ball in critical field positions and not clearly communicate what the play actually should be. So for me, in his upcoming fourth year, if he does get a reasonable amount of protection and top ten receivers to throw to, he needs to perform. If not, trade or cut and with the obvious plan of always being on the lookout for the next great QB.

(is it just me or have the Rams always been this way with QB's and O' Lineman...?)
    Truth and PARamfan like this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bradford has already proven he can be effective in the most difficult of circumstances. In his rookie year, he took us to within a single game of the playoffs, and he could do it again this year. He may not get the opportunity to become Payton Manning, but he's shown he's got what it takes to build a team around.

My answer to the question is no, because I don't think it applies anymore. My quess is the Rams feel the same.
    evil disco man and lostsoul like this.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Dictionary.com
    pe·jo·ra·tive-
    adjective
    1. having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force...

I had to look this one up since I don't use it on a daily basis...

So for me, I simply watch and see where this young athlete can take us with his potential with no hate or demand for justice if he doesn't "step-up", but rather simple observations of his play with all factors included. At this point I see a man that has faced huge challenges under stress, yet often times I also see him over/under throw, fumble the ball in critical field positions and not clearly communicate what the play actually should be. So for me, in his upcoming fourth year, if he does get a reasonable amount of protection and top ten receivers to throw to, he needs to perform. If not, trade or cut and with the obvious plan of always being on the lookout for the next great QB.

(is it just me or have the Rams always been this way with QB's and O' Lineman...?)
    Really you observe this OFTEN. I had to stop there cause that one word indicates that Bradford is a turnover machine who runs a dysfunctional unit. IMHO that could not be further from the truth.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Let's closely examine the 4 biggest reasons most commonly mentioned when discussing Sam's struggles and whether or not they have validity:

1. Excuse: "He's on his 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 years"

Comment: A valid argument- and a fact which cannot be helpful to a young man learning the QB position in the NFL. Stability and time in a given system are imperative for a player to get comfortable and maximize his potential. Until this season, INSTABILITY has been a Rams trademark, most notably at the coordinator position. And unfortunately, there always is a chance a successful coordinator will get a head job elsewhere. The Rams have an obligation to keep a system in place to foster his development.

2. Excuse: "The Offensive Line is Terrible"

Comment: The statement has elements of truth to it, but also is used unfairly at times. Few would argue the instability/ineffectiveness of the offensive line in Bradford's 1st and 2nd seasons was a major issue. It certainly wasn't for a lack of effort- the front office pumped huge money into Smith/Brown/Saffold etc. and it just didn't work. Bradford took punishment and had no time to throw.

I will say, however, this unit has gotten steadily better as this year has progressed. Saffold has bounced back. Dahl has been good. Wells finally got healthy. They have done a decent job, and in fact many other teams have lines a helluva lot worse than the Rams. Pointing at this year's offensive line for any of Bradford's struggles, I think, is a bit overstated.

3. Excuse: "The Rams don't have good receivers"

Comment: It is funny how this statement will be made by many people who in the same breath will go on to sing the praises of Givens, Pettis, Gibson and company. You can't have it both ways. They're either good or they're not. And after a few years in the league, I don't want to hear about a receiver's "potential". "Potential becomes a dirty word after awhile. Put up numbers and produce.

It is obvious the Rams have a less than stellar array of receivers. The one very good guy they DO have, Danny Amendola, can't stay healthy. Such a situation is not beneficial to any QB, heralded or not. At the same time, one can't say "Bradford has NO weapons". Bradford has had an effective Steven Jackson in the backfield and with him the past three seasons, and teams must respect the run. Bradford shares some culpability, most notably with his decision-making, resulting in more INTs than expected. If RGIII with his hell-bent style can have only 5 picks with Pierre Garcon and an aging Santana Moss- two guys with 550-580 receiving yards, it isn't unreasonable to expect Sam to take better care of the football.

Statistically though, I think he's done about what you should expect with the pieces he's had available.

4. Excuse: "The Rams have had more than their share of injuries"

Comment: Under Spags, the Rams' injury list reached levels of dark comedy, most notably with the offensive line and the defensive backfield. Certainly, the claim was true and affected everyone else, including Bradford.

This season, however, the claim doesn't hold any more water than it would with many other teams around the league. The Rams have largely stayed healthy. With a couple of exceptions, the Rams have avoided the season-long crippling injuries that plagued them week after week in the past. Injuries are part of the game, and chances are you'll face an opponent with injury issues of their own. Unless your club is devastated in multiple areas, injuries are an excuse. Find a way to overcome them and perservere

Conclusion: Sam Bradford is the guy we've rolled the dice with, and in my opinion- one which has been stated before- he is the guy to lead us. He's had a pretty good year, and will get better as he continues to grow and the talent around him gets better and more plentiful. And not for nothing, who out there is a better option?
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-29-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    MoonJoe and PARamfan like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

To answer your question...No, this will not be his last excusable game.

It may be his last excusable season though.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

It's amazing how perception can be so negative eventhough the evidence is right in your face.

The Rams started the season with a disappointing 3-6 record. The O-line was suspect due to injuries and the offense struggle putting up points. The O-line has since returned starters at their respective positions and the Rams have gone 4-1-1. Yet, this does not seem to be enough for you guys and you still want to point your fingers at Bradford. My question is if Bradford gets all the blame for when things go wrong then who gets the credit for the last six games?

I think Bradford has shown he's gaining more confidence in this team and the systen. The line continues to gell and that is why I feel the Rams have a good chance against the Hawgs just like the did against the Whinners.

Go Rams
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -12-30-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Let's closely examine the 4 biggest reasons most commonly mentioned when discussing Sam's struggles and whether or not they have validity:

1. Excuse: "He's on his 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 years"

Comment: A valid argument- and a fact which cannot be helpful to a young man learning the QB position in the NFL. Stability and time in a given system are imperative for a player to get comfortable and maximize his potential. Until this season, INSTABILITY has been a Rams trademark, most notably at the coordinator position. And unfortunately, there always is a chance a successful coordinator will get a head job elsewhere. The Rams have an obligation to keep a system in place to foster his development.

2. Excuse: "The Offensive Line is Terrible"

Comment: The statement has elements of truth to it, but also is used unfairly at times. Few would argue the instability/ineffectiveness of the offensive line in Bradford's 1st and 2nd seasons was a major issue. It certainly wasn't for a lack of effort- the front office pumped huge money into Smith/Brown/Saffold etc. and it just didn't work. Bradford took punishment and had no time to throw.

I will say, however, this unit has gotten steadily better as this year has progressed. Saffold has bounced back. Dahl has been good. Wells finally got healthy. They have done a decent job, and in fact many other teams have lines a helluva lot worse than the Rams. Pointing at this year's offensive line for any of Bradford's struggles, I think, is a bit overstated.

3. Excuse: "The Rams don't have good receivers"

Comment: It is funny how this statement will be made by many people who in the same breath will go on to sing the praises of Givens, Pettis, Gibson and company. You can't have it both ways. They're either good or they're not. And after a few years in the league, I don't want to hear about a receiver's "potential". "Potential becomes a dirty word after awhile. Put up numbers and produce.

It is obvious the Rams have a less than stellar array of receivers. The one very good guy they DO have, Danny Amendola, can't stay healthy. Such a situation is not beneficial to any QB, heralded or not. At the same time, one can't say "Bradford has NO weapons". Bradford has had an effective Steven Jackson in the backfield and with him the past three seasons, and teams must respect the run. Bradford shares some culpability, most notably with his decision-making, resulting in more INTs than expected. If RGIII with his hell-bent style can have only 5 picks with Pierre Garcon and an aging Santana Moss- two guys with 550-580 receiving yards, it isn't unreasonable to expect Sam to take better care of the football.

Statistically though, I think he's done about what you should expect with the pieces he's had available.

4. Excuse: "The Rams have had more than their share of injuries"

Comment: Under Spags, the Rams' injury list reached levels of dark comedy, most notably with the offensive line and the defensive backfield. Certainly, the claim was true and affected everyone else, including Bradford.

This season, however, the claim doesn't hold any more water than it would with many other teams around the league. The Rams have largely stayed healthy. With a couple of exceptions, the Rams have avoided the season-long crippling injuries that plagued them week after week in the past. Injuries are part of the game, and chances are you'll face an opponent with injury issues of their own. Unless your club is devastated in multiple areas, injuries are an excuse. Find a way to overcome them and perservere

Conclusion: Sam Bradford is the guy we've rolled the dice with, and in my opinion- one which has been stated before- he is the guy to lead us. He's had a pretty good year, and will get better as he continues to grow and the talent around him gets better and more plentiful. And not for nothing, who out there is a better option?
    1. Excuse: Agreed

2. Excuse: The Rams where forced to use both TE to help in protection. Lately with the starters on the O line back in the Rams have been able to get Lance Kendricks more involved in the passing game. Bradford has had how many O linemen in three years? 25 or so not exactly ideal.

3. Excuse: The WR are not the worst in the NFL but they are far from the best. Two rookie on the team and one second year players in Pettis. Our most experienced WR is Gibson and he has four years. DA only has three years as a player on an active roster. Bradford has had how many WR in three years 23-25?

4. Excuse: We lost Wells in the first game and he did not play again until week 12. We lost Rodger Saffold early and he did not return until week 10. We lost Rok after he started one game and he was gone for the year. Not sure how "the claim" doesn't hold water.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast