RockinRam is offline Registered User

Bradford's Missed Throws: Rookie Nerves, Pressure, Receivers, Accuracy Overrated?

Or all 4?

Let's discuss.

I love Bradford. I really do. But sometimes, he has some really head scratching throws that make us question, where's his usual accuracy?

IMO, it's pressure from the defense and the receivers, with some of it being rookie nerves.

I really think the receivers are the main reason. Normally, Bradford has been able to make our WRs look better then they actually are, by placing it with uncanny accuracy. However, this can't last forever, and it is evident by the forced throws, and the near interceptions. He's trying to force the ball into spaces so tight, because it is probably his only option.

Our receivers aren't getting open, plain and simple.

BEER is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford's Missed Throws: Rookie Nerves, Pressure, Receivers, Accuracy Overrated?

Its both. He is a rookie and the O line basicly has two rooks at ends and the WRs are rooks. Its all about next year. We run off wins at the end I say.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford's Missed Throws: Rookie Nerves, Pressure, Receivers, Accuracy Overrated?

Yes, he is a rookie, he probably shouldn't be playing as well as he is right now! He has had some luck with missed INTs, but then again, who hasn't (I know Peyton Manning had about 2 or 3 in his last game).
    The WRs are decent, but the Rams are not at the point where they can say "We don't need help at WR."

He's doing well, today was a tough 2nd half that should be avoided in the future with more experience.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I think more than anything he gets a little amped up when he's on the move out of the pocket, he's doing a great job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Makersncoke View Post
    I think more than anything he gets a little amped up when he's on the move out of the pocket, he's doing a great job.
    So right, so true. Well said, especially the end part. SB just beginning to settle in.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

This was the first game all season I didn't get to watch due to attending a wedding, but I noticed in the raiders game that the dbs glued themselves to our receievers. Not sure if its poorly run routes or porous playcall, maybe a combination of both but watching sam for several years I can say he is the least of our concerns. The silver lining is back to back games without a turnover. We will win these close games in the future as he continues to progress.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I think it was all 4 combined with the Bucs showing Bradford a whole new Defense he has never seen. I am sure that affected him a lot. There is a reason Raheem Morris is a defensive mastermind. I am sure that after watching himself on tape, he (Bradford) will be better suited to play the Tampa 2 style D next time. We have that kind of caliber under the qb position.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
    The silver lining is back to back games without a turnover.
    Well, he turned the ball over on a fumble yesterday, so maybe "back to back games without an interception" is more accurate.

As for the original post's question, I think it's a combination of factors. I think plays like the overthrow of Hoomanawanui in the endzone is an example of Sam letting his nerves and excitement get to him. He had the play read completely right, but just put too much oomph on the ball. You can still see some inexperience issues - which is absolutely normal and to be expected given that he's still a young and developing player - when he locks onto a receiver or tries to zing every ball in there when perhaps some more touch would be called for.

But I do think some of the problem originates from the wide receiving corps, which hasn't exactly been a secret if you've read some of my posts. If they're not failing to create separation, they're dropping balls or just generally not on the same page as the quarterback. Most of these guys would be fine situational players in sub packages, but do not seem to be doing enough on a consistent basis to be viewed as realistic starters. If the Rams resign Clayton and Avery comes back from his injury without any hang ups in his game, the organization might feel like that's a fine enough starting duo to win with in a ball-control running version of the WCO. I'm not sure I completely agree, though getting both of them back will certainly help the cause.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I have to say that while some of his throws were badly placed, some others are ones that probably could and should have been caught.

One that sticks out for me is one where they ran the same play that Amendola scored on again, and the ball bounced off Danny's hands and was nearly picked off by Talib

dhaab is offline Registered User

Did any of you watch the Packers vs. Vikings game last night? Aaron Rodgers is considered a top 3 QB in the NFL right now and he made at least 4 or 5 AWFUL throws that were not even close to the intended receiver. Obviously there were communication problems with him and his veteran WR's. I think we all need to realize we're watching a very young and inexperienced QB right now who's playing with almost completely raw receivers and they will have some bad days. Rome wasn't built in a day. Just sayin'.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dhaab View Post
    Did any of you watch the Packers vs. Vikings game last night? Aaron Rodgers is considered a top 3 QB in the NFL right now and he made at least 4 or 5 AWFUL throws that were not even close to the intended receiver. Obviously there were communication problems with him and his veteran WR's. I think we all need to realize we're watching a very young and inexperienced QB right now who's playing with almost completely raw receivers and they will have some bad days. Rome wasn't built in a day. Just sayin'.
    That's a very fair point, even the best misfire from time to time. The passing game really requires a lot of work and timing to get right, and given the inexperience of the quarterback combined with the shuffling of the receiving corps, it shouldn't be shocking that the Rams have some issues.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I reject the "accuracy overrated" suggestion entirely.

There have been a few instances this year when Sam has overthrown wide open receivers (he had one he threw out of bounds to a wide open receiver this week). It seemed in those cases that he was "wide eyed" and overeager at the prospect of hitting on a long gain. He'll calm down over time and hit those passes.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Bradford has the physical skills to be one of the greatest of all time ...

He will need more reps to allow his mental game to catch up ...

The receivers are not the issue, because the passes he seems to be missing the most, are really easy ones. He is thinking a bit much ...

One of the reasons I love Bradford so much is how honest he is with himself about how he plays. Go to the Rams website and watch his postgame press conference. AWESOME stuff ...

Bradford's 8 INTs so far in 260 attempts accounts for 3.07% INT rate which is pretty good even for veteran QB's. One of these was a hail mary. That is ridiculously impressive for a rookie who is throwing so much ....

Josh Freeman threw 18 INT's in 290 attempts last year. Sanchez threw 20 INT's in 364 attempts ...

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Bradford now has 54 poor throws this season, or 20.8% of his 260, according to Stats, LLC ...

He had 9 in the last game, meaning 34.6% of his throws were poor ...

A poor pass is defined as an uncatchable ball ...