throwback week

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Bradley Fletcher

Seems to me whenever he takes the field teams immediatly throw to him (usually deep) much like wade and hill in the past when they would take the field for 3 plays, give up 3 catches then right back to the bench.

Am I off here? Is he actually playing well and Im nitpicking or is he only on the field because king and quincy butler, and wade are hurt (are they?)

molar_pistol Guest

Re: Bradley Fletcher

he's actually done a solid job for the most part, but he'll give up some big plays now and then. dude's a rookie, what do you expect? he needs to be more aware of the situation and play hard on every play, sometimes he seems to not expect the ball to come his way because he has the guy pretty well covered, sometimes he gets fooled by better route-runners. time will tell if he ever becomes a good full-time starting corner, he's shown some good things and some bad things but like i said he's still a rookie.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

It's hard to judge any of the corners with an inconsistent push up front, but none of them have impressed me, including Fletcher. Like mp said however, he's a rookie and gets a pass for now.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

if we were just drafting for this season then theres no way we would have took him...he`s raw but has great physical attributes..if he wasnt raw he wouldnt have lasted to the third round.
    along with D-lineman Spags has a great record of schooling DB`s tho so the chances are good that he will become good-great in a year or two.

as for his play this year..well..considering cornerback is most certainly the hardest position to play on defense and arguably one of the hardest if not the hardest along with QB to play on the entire team.. he has done what youd expect from a rookie 3rd round pick CB...some decent plays..some not so decent..but that is the life of a cornerback even if he was a 10 year vet..the margin of error is so small that even the greatest of players at the position make poor looking plays sometimes.

also lack of pass rush means the same results as a QB not having good pass rush blocking ahead of him...some can make plays without it but if you do then youve made a really great play and whilst thats not impossible of a rookie CB or QB..its certainly not to be expected.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

That big pass hr gave up to Sidney rice he was in good coverage, but he made the rookie mistake and didn't keep hands on. For a rookie he is already getting reps over the vet wade which is impressive IMO. IMO the young guys get better every game he looked much more impresseive than he did in the Green bay game.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think Wade has played well. I think Fletcher struggled the first few weeks but has played well the last few games. There are several things a corner just can't do:

1. prevent a perfect pass. For some reason people think that a CB should be able to defend every pass but even if you have perfect coverage, if a QB hits the receiver in stride with outstretched hands, no corner is stopping that.

2. short quick routes if the CB isn't playing bump and run. It's not possible to defend if you are giving a cushion and often times that is the coaches call.

3. if the QB is given 5+ seconds. Only pro-bowlers can cover that long.

I think Wade, Fletcher and Bartell have done a very good job. King on the other hand hasn't impressed me at all.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i agree with Rebel, except to state that even pro bowlers cant cover 5 plus seconds when there is no functional pass rush, which is a big part of the rams problems. The corners need a chance to develop, they are doing fine. We need MUCH better pass rush to have a functional pass defense. Thats not just a question of sacks, its a matter of getting in the qb's face, collapsing the pocket and upsetting the timing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

richtree is offline Registered User

he has shown some improvement.

I don't think the secondary is a major concern.

The pass Rush and lack of an "athlectic player in the front 7" is the issue.

Our front 7 has no one that is "feared" or "freakish" in body structure.

that has to change.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i agree with Rebel, except to state that even pro bowlers cant cover 5 plus seconds when there is no functional pass rush, which is a big part of the rams problems. The corners need a chance to develop, they are doing fine. We need MUCH better pass rush to have a functional pass defense. Thats not just a question of sacks, its a matter of getting in the qb's face, collapsing the pocket and upsetting the timing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I'd only argue that guys like Champ Bailey in his prime could still cover at 5 seconds! But yeah, pressure doesn't mean sacks. If you get an average QB moving out of the pocket because of pressure, their odds of completing a pass downfield drop considerably. They can throw the dump off passes but anything 10 yards downfield becomes THAT much more difficult. It's rare when our line can get QBs moving out of the pocket without a blitz. That has to change for there to be success.