Thread: brandon chillar

general counsel is offline Registered User

brandon chillar

Chillar, 9 tackles and a sack tonight vs the saints. We let a guy go whose father's name is Ram.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: brandon chillar

I remember seeing that about his dad. I think they were invited to the White House for some kind of dinner a while back.
    I liked the guy, glad he's doing alright with the Pack. Rough night tonight for that defense though, lol.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Yet another joke of a move by our front office ...

Let's let a steadily improving, young, fast, strong linebacker go for an unproven guy who gets 11 tackles in the last (meaningless) game of the 2007 season. Culberson, that is, has been a huge bust ....

Chillar has started three games for the Pack this year, and in those games, he has 25 tackles, one for loss, a sack, a forced fumble, and 2 passes defensed ...

Overall, he has 49 tackles and 5 passes defensed .... Yes, 49 tackles as a part time player .... THREE starts ....

That means he has the same number of passes defensed as EVERY linebacker on our squad, COMBINED! And he is only a part time player ...

If Chillar had been the full time starter out there since day one, he'd have 75-80 tackles likely by now. Just watch him play if you get a chance this season, he is all over the field ...

And to think we could have had him for about 3M a year. He would have easily been the best linebacker we put on the field this year, given how poorly Spoon is playing. Could have easily been a 100+ tackle guy per year for us ...

Seriously, imagine how this would have looked ...

WLB - Witherspoon
    MLB - Run stuffing monster rookie
    SLB - Chillar
    Backup - Pisa
    Backup - Draft
    Backup - Culberson
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -11-25-2008 at 01:32 AM.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Yet another joke of a move by our front office ...
    Could have easily been a 100+ tackle guy per year for us ...
    I agree with the first statement, not sure about the second one.
    From my point of view the fact that we suck is a state of mind, not a one player performance issue. If Chillar would be with us this year, would suck as much as we suck right now.

eldfan is offline Registered User

It is the continuation of bad moves that lead us hear. Not getting Jenkings, Culter, the list go on and on.
    :ramlogo:

Packers' signing of Chillar making a difference
    By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Nov. 21, 2008

Green Bay - He shouldn't even be here, really.

The Green Bay Packers were certainly not his first choice.

Nor his second.

If the money were equal, he would have been back in the starting lineup with the St. Louis Rams.

If not for a contractual snafu, he'd be basking in the dry heat with the Arizona Cardinals.

Instead, linebacker Brandon Chillar landed as a backup - a well-paid one at that - with the Packers. And considering what has transpired, both sides feel fortunate about that.

"Do I think about what might have been? No, not really," Chillar said this week. "I've learned to live in the now, you know? But I would say things have worked out nicely. I know I'm happy."

And to say the Packers are as well might be an understatement.

With middle linebacker Nick Barnett out for the season after undergoing knee surgery Thursday, Chillar's presence on the roster has allowed the Packers to not miss a beat. And it's possible he makes them better.

There is little doubt Chillar, with his blend of length, speed and overall athleticism, has shown an ability in pass coverage the Packers might have been lacking since Wayne Simmons was blanketing opposing tight ends in the mid-1990s.

Barnett certainly could tail a running back. And A.J. Hawk has shown flashes when healthy, but the 6-foot-3 Chillar has brought coverage skills more associated with a safety to the Packers' linebacking corps.

The fact that Chillar, in only two starts, has knocked down five passes to match Barnett, Hawk and strong-side starter Brady Poppinga combined is testament to that.

"Each one of those guys are very good in their specialized way of pass coverage," assistant head coach/linebackers Winston Moss said. "But overall, I would believe that Brandon is an excellent, excellent coverage guy.

"Being able to react in a short area, he does that the best. . . . Brandon has actually surprised me as his top-end speed is very good as well."

Chillar's ability in coverage has not been a secret. Packers coaches tapped him for increased roles against the Dallas Cowboys and the Indianapolis Colts.

But Chillar showed a different strength - an ability to get to the quarterback on blitzes - Sunday in the victory over the Chicago Bears. And that talent could turn out to be more important in the final six games of a season that has seen the Packers muddle around as the 23rd-ranked team in the league with 17 sacks.

It isn't that coordinator Bob Sanders hasn't tried to unleash his linebackers on opposing quarterbacks. But the other linebackers have produced only two sacks and three of the team's 45 pressures. When you aren't asked to do something often - the Packers have rarely blitzed under Sanders before the previous five games - you can't just flip a switch.

Chillar, thanks to his time in Jim Haslett's scheme with the Rams, is the one Packers linebacker who knows how to blitz. And it showed against Chicago, as he "got home" on most of his five blitzes.

"That's all we did in St. Louis was blitz. I was blitzing almost every other play down there," Chillar said. "Anytime you do something that much, you're going to get good at it."

Moss said that ability to find your way through traffic, and the timing it takes to do it successfully, is not something that can be learned.

"A lot of that has to do with instincts and a player's own clock in their head to have that instinct to go to that quarterback and be able to accelerate at that quarterback," Moss said. "That's something you don't coach. The player has to have that ability to want to explode to that quarterback and make that play. And I think he has that."

Moss admitted that Chillar had shown more ability during the season than he did in training camp, possibly because it took him time to learn the Packers' scheme. Chillar also might have entered camp thinking he was destined for Poppinga's starting spot after signing a two-year contract worth up to $6.4 million.

"I would agree with that, in that he came into training camp probably thinking that he could just come in and get a starting job and to Brady's credit, Brady stepped up and really responded to the challenge and ended up holding him off," Moss said. "(Chillar's) doing things better here than what I've seen him do previously with St. Louis. He's stepped it up, he's responded so his game is elevated and he's producing."

If Chillar can continue his emergence, he could not only prove extremely valuable this season, he would make things interesting for the Packers next year in training camp.

"Absolutely," Moss said. "That's a good problem. That's a good problem."

Maybe then Chillar will end up with the starting spot.

Even if he didn't really want to be here.

"I would say right now I realize I have an opportunity but I'm still taking it one day at a time," Chillar said. "I can't worry about what they think about me next year and all that. I'm just trying to play well each day in practice and hopefully I'll carry that out in the games."

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Reading that article makes me sick. We have FO that wouldn't know how to make a good football decision if it hit them in the teeth. I sure hope there is a monumental housecleaning after this season, because Chip Rosenbloom is going to see his investment wither away faster than the stock market if he doesn't implement changes.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Reading that article makes me sick. We have FO that wouldn't know how to make a good football decision if it hit them in the teeth. I sure hope there is a monumental housecleaning after this season, because Chip Rosenbloom is going to see his investment wither away faster than the stock market if he doesn't implement changes.

Go Rams!
    I remember hearing one of the reasons we let Chillar go was he was a liabiltiy in coverage ... hahahaha

blood85 is offline Registered User

I don't think the guy was that grea.....nor would he be of any help at this point. As a matter of fact, I thought he was average at best.