Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Brandon Gibson Is A Keeper

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Brandon Gibson Is A Keeper

At this point, in the offseason id rather keep Gibson and get rid of Smith. and hopefully draft a new wr.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I knew there would be some backlash about Gibby being a keeper, but no love for that amazing catch? I mean, come on, it was spectacular!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I knew there would be some backlash about Gibby being a keeper, but no love for that amazing catch? I mean, come on, it was spectacular!
    The issue I have, is he drops the easy ones. The first drive he dropped a easy catch for a first down.
    Yeah it was a nice catch, just don't know who will show up from week to week. I will say this, Smith did nothing in that game to help him become a keeper. Gibby has two weeks to carry the receivers, lets see what he does with it.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Personally, I like Gibson. I have since we got him. Does he make every catch? No. But then who does? He's the best thing going for the Rams in the passing game when Amendola is out. Quick and Givens may overtake him, but not this year, they're still making stupid rookie mistakes and as with most WR's, it'll take a couple of years for either of them to "get it together." Smith or Pettis have got to step up their game.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Personally, I like Gibson. I have since we got him. Does he make every catch? No. But then who does? He's the best thing going for the Rams in the passing game when Amendola is out. Quick and Givens may overtake him, but not this year, they're still making stupid rookie mistakes and as with most WR's, it'll take a couple of years for either of them to "get it together." Smith or Pettis have got to step up their game.
    I think Givens already has... Givens has had three catches in the last three games of plus 50 and one went for a TD.

Givens had 85 yards in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The issue I have, is he drops the easy ones. The first drive he dropped a easy catch for a first down.
    He actually made the catch, but didn't have complete control before going out of bounds. But yeah, you're point is taken, he should have caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Yeah it was a nice catch
    "Nice" catch?? You've got some high standards
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

First off, let me say that the catch Gibby made was AMAZING. It was Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald like.

Gibby is a Keeper....NO FREAKIN WAY.

Keeping Gibson makes about as much sense as keeping Marc Bulger. Yeah, he made a couple of amazing throws, but when you have to flip a coin to decide whether or not a player is going to catch the ball, that ain't worth it...ESPECIALLY once who lines up as the #1 receiver.

I'm happy he stepped up in the absence of Amendola, but we need him to step up when Amendola is there too. It's like he thinks "oh Danny here, I'll just let this corner keep me at the line and not break free."

Just like Bulger had a couple of good moments, so does Gibson and so does anyone who is good enough to make it to the NFL. But you are suppose to be the best of the best and I expect dropped passes from flag football players, not a #1 receiver.

That was still an amazing catch tho....all hating aside.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    lol this is hilarious because you are the one who doesn't understand what contrarian means. A person who takes an opposing viewpoint of the majority.
    Mcpeepants generally plays well with the other children, though he is encouraged to continue to work on his understanding of irony. His ability to take a joke is second to none, so I am sure this post will be taken in good humour, as was intended initially.

Also, for what it's worth, the dominant clause in that definition is the first one - a person who takes an opposing view - as opposed to the secondary clause - especially one who rejects the majority opinion. Therefore, you need not oppose the majority in order to be a contrarian. You just need a contrary opinion.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

This song sums up my thoughts on Brandon Gibson in a nutshell

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I like Gibson, and want him to stay on the Rams. But him being our number 1 WR shows everything about the state of our WR corps

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I'm totally with Mike on this one. When The Rams have needed & got a 3rd down & long converted, it's usually been Gibson. He's the jab.His play vs The Fins speaks for itself,imo, but I might add that in the AZ game, Sam had 7 passes caught out of 21. Three,iirc, were to Gibson. Only one inc was to Gibson.Another, a nice scoop, was negated by penalty.Preceding both bomb plays; the first to Danny for his onehander ( bet there's a locker argument brewing over whose was more incredible) & the TD to Givens, Gibson made 1st down catches. Don't blame the jab if the haymaker never connects.

All Gibson does is get better every year.Limited ceiling; probably, but a valuable role player,imo. They can't all be Holt or Bruce. Sure, it comes in bursts. This entire offense is like that,,isn't it ? No O-line, no consistency for any skill player.Dull tale with no fun villain to boo but true,nonetheless,imo.
    live4ramin and Agrajag like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I was initially wrong in thinking Gibson would be cut in the pre-season. He's shown he's one of our better wideouts (for what that's worth). My problem with Gibson is that he's maddenly inconsistent. He'll look good for stretches then drop a pass at a critical time. He'll look good one game, then disappear the next. At least if a guy is bad, you can sit back and say "well, the guy stinks". But with Gibson, you just never know. Just when you're ready to give up on the guy, he looks good. Then when you're ready to embrace the guy, he pulls the Houdini act and disappears from the offense.

I want to see Brandon Gibson step up and catch 4-5 balls a game, minimize drops and establish himself as a leader with this group of young receivers.
    Rambos likes this.

Let's put Gibson into perspective. He's not an elite receiver, which is the case with the majority of receivers in the league. He's a role player, and he does his job in less than ideal circumstances.

As far as production, he's got 20 catches, which ties him with Vincent Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Sidney Rice. The Rams have a total of 7 TD's, and Gibson has 2 of them (he was robbed of a third in the Wasshington game). As Azul mentioned, when the Rams need a third down conversion, Gibson is usually the guy. And as far as the dropped passes criticisms, the stats thru game 5 lists 33 players, starting with Victor Cruz having 5 drops, and ends with Wes Welker having 3. Gibson's name is nowhere to be found.

Now I didn't start this thread to be the defender of Gibson, only to give credit where credit is due to a guy that has done his job, sometimes in spectacular form. You can argue that he hasn't always been consistent throughout his career, but if you look at what he has done this year, he's a keeper IMO.

NFL Leaders - Pass Dropped - Football - NBC Sports
    live4ramin and PARamfan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    "Nice" catch?? You've got some high standards
    It was a great catch one of the best ever. After the first two weeks I thought Gibby was going to break through this year and then he had some drops and the miscommunication that caused an INT.

I would like nothing more that at the end of the year to say he is an obvious keeper. He needs to do it on a more consistent basis.

Gibby after the game

101ESPN.com: Audio Player - Brandon Gibson

Gotta love a guy that accounts for 20% of the Rams total offense and makes THE highlight of the week, saying he needs to do more and be more consistent.
    live4ramin likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast