Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: breaking news !!!!!!!! Greg Williams won't coach this season for the Rams.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: breaking news !!!!!!!! Greg Williams won't coach this season for the Rams.

A couple of questions for my own edification:

1. What exactly was Williams' bounty program? Specifically.

2. Surely the Williams' defenses over the years must be the most penalized if they were trying to hurt players. So were they?
    Fat Pang likes this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Vis
    Vis is offline Registered User

Bart Hubbuch ‏ @NYPost_Hubbuch Wow, Fisher says Rams had no idea about BountyGate and wouldn't have hired Gregg Williams if they had.
    Retweeted by Adam Caplan

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I can't fathom how whining to the media about an entirely separate, unrelated case would help Williams at all.
    I agree. And I don't see any way Williams fights his punishment. He admitted to the bounty program completely, and didn't dispute a single charge the NFL leveled at him, including intent to injure opposing players. He's getting what he deserves and he'll be lucky if he's only out of the game for a year.

The Rams need to move on.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

... Wow ...

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Stevie Wonder coulda seen this coming. Litigation (and the associated news stories) involving permanently damaged ex NFLers...on the leagues doorstep...just as this story broke. It was a perfect storm for all involved to be made MAJOR examples of.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

ShaneFalco Guest

why are the rams always getting punished for other teams mistakes....

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Breaking news !!!!!!!! Greg Williams won't coach this season for the Rams.

With GW gone, I hope the Rams D will NOT hesitate to hit hard, play well, and stop opponents without worrying about penalties. We are going to be under the NFL magnifying glass simply because Williams was here, he 'touched' us.

... D#####!!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I think that's the critical question. If the evidence in e-mails, player testimony and whatever else says that Williams ran a program where players were paid bonuses specifically for injuring opposing players, then sure, throw the book at him.

If Williams ran a program that rewarded players for making interceptions, forced fumbles, sacks, breaking up catches, open-field tackles and other big plays which sometimes were accomplished by making big hits, then it's difficult to prove that there was ever malicious intent. It would still be against league rules but a much less serious violation.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Not surprised I thought it would be four games... not a year and possibly forever..

Sean Payton gets a year shocked and the draft picks wow!!

Fisher said he would not hirer a DC we have the staff and will not name a DC... I think his plan is to have Williams back next year.

Glad this came down early and not during camp...

I bet Williams has already set the board as far as draft picks he would covet...

The players all seem shocked...

Slug is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think that's the critical question. If the evidence in e-mails, player testimony and whatever else says that Williams ran a program where players were paid bonuses specifically for injuring opposing players, then sure, throw the book at him.

If Williams ran a program that rewarded players for making interceptions, forced fumbles, sacks, breaking up catches, open-field tackles and other big plays which sometimes were accomplished by making big hits, then it's difficult to prove that there was ever malicious intent. It would still be against league rules but a much less serious violation.
    It was the former, unfortunately. While there were bonuses paid for forced fumbles and interceptions (which, while not as bad, is still against the rules) they also paid awards for causing injury to opposing players that took them out of the game. They even going so far as having bonus awards for taking out specific targeted players as well as offering bonuses for extended loss of play time ("cart-off bonuses", as they called them). It was pretty egregious.

RamsFanLSUMan is offline Registered User

I think this punishment is a bit harsh; however, the NFL did tell them to stop and they didn't.

Also, with former players suing the league for concussions, they can easily bring up how the NFL knew about a bounty system. I know that the Saints probably didn't cause any of them, but how would that look in front of a judge or jury?

This punishment was to save face.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanLSUMan View Post
    I think this punishment is a bit harsh; however, the NFL did tell them to stop and they didn't.

Also, with former players suing the league for concussions, they can easily bring up how the NFL knew about a bounty system. I know that the Saints probably didn't cause any of them, but how would that look in front of a judge or jury?

This punishment was to save face.
    I have to disagree. I thought the punishment was soft, at least for Peyton. I think both coaches should be banned "indefinitely". ...and I believe that any player involved should get the same. There is NO place in professional football for that garbage. Paying and supporting players to purposely injure another player is unacceptable at any level. ...and if you've been caught once, and warned and still continued to do it? Absolutely no excuse for that.

If I blantantly violated company policy at work, was caught, and continued to ignore warnings, it would be terms for immediate termination and you can believe I would never be hired there again. Why should the NFL be any different? Perhaps the NFL commish waited too long to put a stop to this, or perhaps he needed time to put together strong evidence to bring the hammer down, who knows? But I've said it since day one, get Williams out of here and tell him to not let the door hit him in the butt on the way out. Fisher would be a fool to even think about bringing him back.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -03-22-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Because to Goodell, the integrity of the game itself isn't as important as the integrity of "player safety".
    One MAY have influenced a single championship game. The other is a major concern of parents that could ultimately be the downfall of the entire sport. I can see why one is slightly more important for the league to address than the other.

Goodell also lacked a lot of the latitude to really hammer New England when the scandal broke; he'd been on the job for a little over a year when it happened.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    why are the rams always getting punished for other teams mistakes....
    Because they willfully turn a blind eye to the mistakes made by individuals while in the employ of said teams. Yes I know Fisher denied all knowledge, acted horrified, yada yada yada...

If he's as good a friend of Williams as everyone says he is, he knew. He had to know. Shoot, he had to have been planning on implementing one here. And therefore when it blows up in our face, we deserve it.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Because they willfully turn a blind eye to the mistakes made by individuals while in the employ of said teams. Yes I know Fisher denied all knowledge, acted horrified, yada yada yada...

If he's as good a friend of Williams as everyone says he is, he knew. He had to know. Shoot, he had to have been planning on implementing one here. And therefore when it blows up in our face, we deserve it.
    So now we have guilt by association or rather intent by association. 'Fisher is a good friend of Williams, therefore Fisher was planning to implement a 'bounty system'.

Really?

I'm sure Goodell might have something suitably indefinite to say about that as well.

Whilst accepting that punishment was due for contravention of NFL rules and regulations, I do not like the open-ended nature of Williams' punishment; this thing needed to be put to bed. Williams should have been banned for six months to a year, as it stands, the 'indefinite' nature of the punishment means this will be hanging over Williams and by extension the Rams for as long as he's an employee (I expect he'll do the decent thing and resign).

I do not accept that 'spygate' was in any way less deserving of equally harsh treatment in its immediate or more long-term implications and what interests me here is the differing way in which both cases were handled. Its clear that Goodell has chosen the issue of player safety as 'his' issue and the severity of the punishments meted out reflects that but does it make those punishments any more or less equitable? Does this interest have a rather more cynical eye on pending legal procedures? Will this incident and its aftermath lead to fundamental changes in the character and culture of the game?

HUb has asked some pertinent questions:

2. Surely the Williams' defenses over the years must be the most penalized if they were trying to hurt players. So were they?

To my knowledge none of the information currently available to us answers these questions but I'd go further:

3. If the bounty programme was as 'egregious' (posters comment) as advertised, then why weren't players who had once played for Williams but now stood on the opposing sideline, warning their team-mates and raising hell about it?

4. Why have players who once played for Williams, such as London Fletcher, been so adamant that they were never asked to intentionally injure players?

5. Why is Williams so popular amongst his players and ex-players? Here is a man who was rewarding people for ending careers and yet he's popular? With the average career length being some 3 and a half years I find that remarkable.

There has to be something specific to the Saints that we're not hearing or haven't seen as yet.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -03-22-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast