RamsFan16 Guest

BREAKING NEWS: Officially Rams sign Butler, Karney

rams sign butler, karney
    wednesday, march 11, 2009

by nick wagoner
    senior writer

- the rams continued their offseason roster reshaping on wednesday, making deals official with fullback mike karney and strong safety james butler.

- butlerís signing comes as no surprise as heís been targeted from the start of free agency. He took a trip to st. Louis on opening weekend and left without a contract but both sides remained interested the whole way and the deal was finally completed.

- butler immediately gives the rams another young, ascending player in a secondary that suddenly seems full of players of that ilk. The rams re-signed ron bartell and placed the franchise tag on free safety oshiomogho atogwe. If that trio can be buoyed by a recovering tye hill and/or youngsters jonathan wade or justin king, thereís some serious potential to have a solid secondary for a long time.

- perhaps nobody is happier this morning than running back steven jackson who, in karney, gets a true lead blocking fullback for the first time since madison hedgecock departed in 2007.

- the karney deal is believed to be a three-year deal worth more than $3.5 million. Karney has only been in the league for five years and should still have plenty of football left in his own right.

- itís hard to look at the ramsí offseason so far and think they havenít accomplished much of what they set out to do in the free agency portion. They retained two key starters in bartell and atogwe and have added three starters in karney, butler and center jason brown. Thereís still work to be done, including the addition of a backup quarterback which is likely to come in free agency and possibly in the coming days.

- other needs could be and likely will be filled through the draft though there are some other moves that could be made for depth in free agency. The rams believe they are in good shape heading into the draft and are far from married to drafting a tackle.
    - butler and karney will be introduced at 11 a.m. Today and weíll have their thoughts and comments as well as any other news from around here throughout the day.

edit: No links!!
    Last edited by Nick; -03-12-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Officially Rams sign Butler, Karney

Nice, now it's all official... two fewer things to worry about.

majorram is offline Registered User

Coats was reporting thats its a four year deal for Butler worth up to 17 mill with incentives...

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Damn Butler got more money than Brian Dawkins man ( before incentives) wow.... Dawkins I believe received a 5yr 17 million dollar deal before incentives. If i'm wrong sorry guys I just thought about it off the top of my head.

But love the signings another two hard nose gritty players who will help right the ship. Hard to see Pace go but with this cap we can sign players who are willing to buy into what Spags is gonna do here.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

The Butler deal is cool. The Karney deal is unbelievable, didnt really think they'd put their noses out there for a FB even if one came available.

Ramer Guest

Sweet! I'm liking this off season so far.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

great!!! what a good free agency. This is a great youth movemement keep it coming spags and company. what is our current cap status?

Mooselini Guest

This is great for us. I love it. The season can't come any sooner can it?

ManofGod is offline Registered User

(fighting back tears of shear joy as he says) "Amen"! This has been the best offseason ever!

Got the coach!
    Signed the key free agents!
    Found the center!
    Found the lead blocker!

Now all we need is a havoc causing DT, and run stuffing MLB, a back-up QB, and for someone to do something about the T. Holt situation. Man I can't wait for the season to come!

Go Rams!!!!

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

This is totally awesome I can not wait to see what else they have planned. I hope we see the addition of a D.T and or M.L.B before the draft would be nice to know what they are planning on doing about the W.R situation.