Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Rams, Bradford agree on six-year $78 million deal w/$50 mil guaran

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Word of God from every party was that contract negotiations, or even simple exchanges of numbers, did not happen pre-draft. That's usually a pretty good sign that our years and years of football experience led us to toss that process out the window. As for why Suh's number works for us...we (still do frankly) had a rather pronounced need for a Big DT, and were confronting a 2011 Draft Class loaded with QBs. We could simply have passed on getting teh Glorious Franchise QB!!!!!111111oneone until next season. Forget the fanbase, they won't come when the losses start up again this season, so ticket sales should not be a factor.

Somehow I doubt Suh approaches Bradford's numbers in the contract demands, due to the above stated reasons. And Bradford plummets in the draft if we don't take him, which means that he stood to lose a decent amount of coin if he took a hard line. Instead, leverage did a 180 post draft.
    Saftey Eric Berry (#5 overall) got a 5 year, 60M deal with 38 Mil gauranteed. For a saftey?

We did well. 'Course you never know if it'll play in Peoria.

(Or maybe we do.) Keep up the good work, Sunshine.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Rams, Bradford agree on six-year $78 million deal w/$50 mil guaran

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Fair point, but wouldnt you agree that it was fairly obvious we were going to draft Bradford. I mean it wasnt like a 50-50 chance between bradford and suh, it was more 90-10 in bradfords favor. It's fairly reasonable that Condon didnt want to negotiate before the draft gambling that he would grab a couple million extra after was had drafted bradford.
    Perhaps, but to outside observers, it was pretty obvious the Lions were going to take Matthew Stafford, yet Tom Condon still agreed to a pre-draft deal. Why? Because the Lions made it clear they were also serious about taking Aaron Curry, whom they also had negotiated a deal with. There was a legitimate notion that someone else could be the pick if a contract wasn't in place. The Texans did something similar and negotiated with both Reggie Bush and Mario Williams before the draft, willing to take either as long as the player would sign.

Based on everything we know, the Rams did not appear to play it this way; instead they wanted to leave the door open in case someone offered a mega-deal that was never coming. Once Bulger was released in early April, most everyone assumed the Rams were going to take Sam if they stayed put, and the Rams didn't make much of an effort to convince anyone otherwise, unless you count their positive comments about Colt McCoy's workout. Bradford's camp was in no rush to strike a pre-draft deal either, likely for two reasons - (1) they knew they'd gain leverage in negotiations after Sam was picked, and (2) they also wanted to see if a trade down would happen, since the Rams said they were open to that.

Had the Rams started serious negotiations with Bradford and Suh (and McCoy, even) prior to the draft and actually represented themselves as willing to take someone with the first pick as long as a deal was in place, maybe they could have gotten something done with Bradford before making him the pick. It probably would have been cheaper as well, since they'd have more leverage at that point. We'll never know for sure, but I feel rather confident that it at least could have happened. Ultimately they weren't overly concerned with a pre-draft contract, didn't begin serious negotiations until mid-July for whatever reason, and Sam missed three practices and a team meeting before getting signed. I doubt anyone thinks his absence is the end of the world, but at the same time, I don't think rookies missing scheduled practices and meetings suddenly became a good thing.

What's done is done though, and they've agreed on a deal in time to get him in the fold for the start of full-squad work. Hopefully he can make up whatever ground he missed.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Saftey Eric Berry (#5 overall) got a 5 year, 60M deal with 38 Mil gauranteed. For a saftey?
    It's actually $34 million guaranteed, just thought I'd butt in..
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    It's fairly reasonable that Condon didnt want to negotiate before the draft gambling that he would grab a couple million extra after was had drafted bradford.
    This notion was widely reported by multiple sources right before the draft. For what it's worth, here is an excerpt from the story:

Sam Bradford to the Rams with the No. 1 pick in next week's draft has the feel of a foregone conclusion, but it's still not without its potential complications. A source close to the situation told FanHouse on Wednesday that Bradford is "not doing a deal, period, until he is drafted."

That would represent a change in recent trends. The last two No. 1 picks -- Matthew Stafford of the Lions in 2009 and Jake Long of the Dolphins in 2008 -- agreed to contracts before they were selected, as did Mario Williams of the Texans in 2006. The Raiders took JaMarcus Russell at No. 1 in 2007 without signing him beforehand, and that resulted in a complete fiasco in which Russell didn't sign until September.

Now, that's not to say that Bradford, who appears to have both a brain in his head and an idea of how to order a salad, will turn out to be another Russell. But his refusal to sign a pre-draft deal does bring up some issues that indicate the Rams have a thornier issue on their hands than you may think.

The main thing Bradford gains by not signing pre-draft is leverage. If the Rams take him No. 1, they have to sign him. Given the current, miserable state of their franchise, they can't blow the No. 1 pick. There's no way they could face their fans and say, "Sorry, we picked the franchise quarterback we needed, but he was asking for too much, so we didn't sign him." Bradford's agents (the same agents who represented Stafford a year ago) are determined to get him more than Stafford got (six years, $72 million with $41.7 million guaranteed), and they know their chances of getting it from the Rams will increase sharply after the Rams pick Bradford.

None of this is news to the Rams, who have already exchanged figures with Bradford's agents and know what it's going to take to get Bradford signed.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Had the Rams started serious negotiations with Bradford and Suh (and McCoy, even) prior to the draft and actually represented themselves as willing to take someone with the first pick as long as a deal was in place, maybe they could have gotten something done with Bradford before making him the pick. It probably would have been cheaper as well, since they'd have more leverage at that point. We'll never know for sure, but I feel rather confident that it at least could have happened.
    Nick, that's EXACTLY what happened. You don't remember the reports of Rams meeting with agents for all three prior to the draft?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Nick, that's EXACTLY what happened. You don't remember the reports of Rams meeting with agents for all three prior to the draft?
    That doesn't imply we were seriously planning on negotiating.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    That doesn't imply we were seriously planning on negotiating.
    It also doesn't imply that we weren't...

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    I like the six year deal. This may be the last of the big Rookie contracts, but I am glad it is ours. Let's put some air under that ball son!

We'll see how glad you are when we have no cap space to sign a needed player in any given year.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

For what its worth (everyone else is saying it) Bradford looked good out there. In an interview after practice he set he felt very comfortable with the offense and he looked it. Nice tight throws with zip and good touch on the deep balls.

I don't think the kid missed much at all truthfully but no doubt would always be better to get into camp as soon as possible.

I'm calling it. By the start of game 1 Bradford will be the number 1 quarterback for the Rams. Maybe even as soon as game 3 of the preseason if he keeps it up. This is barring any injuries.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    For what its worth (everyone else is saying it) Bradford looked good out there. In an interview after practice he set he felt very comfortable with the offense and he looked it. Nice tight throws with zip and good touch on the deep balls.

I don't think the kid missed much at all truthfully but no doubt would always be better to get into camp as soon as possible.

I'm calling it. By the start of game 1 Bradford will be the number 1 quarterback for the Rams. Maybe even as soon as game 3 of the preseason if he keeps it up. This is barring any injuries.
    Awh man you're making me so excited. Did you end up going to the practice? I would have died to go.. ..... But yeah this is sounding good. What did you guys expect? We all knew this was going to be a huge contract, so why whine about it now?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Awh man you're making me so excited. Did you end up going to the practice? I would have died to go.. ..... But yeah this is sounding good. What did you guys expect? We all knew this was going to be a huge contract, so why whine about it now?
    yes i did go. posted a thread with pictures and observations.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Whats more important? Getting Bradford in camp right away so he can learn, take over the starting job and lead this team, or arguing over a few million, having Bradford sit out of camp sessions, fall behind and having AJ Feeley start for the Rams until Bradford is ready?

And what makes you think we could have given him 42-45 mil? Where is the evidence that supports that?

You can't just speculate and say he would have accepted less when their is no evidence to suggest that is the case
    Who's arguing? Did you even read my post homie?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    My recollection is it wasn't even close to the kind of negotiating that my other two examples ('09 Lions and '06 Texans) engaged in, and I double checked with an NFL news source (KFFL) to make sure it wasn't reported as such before emphasizing that in my post.

Earlier in this thread, TheBritishRam posted an article from late March where Demoff himself characterized the talks as "comparing notes" and "trading numbers," which again IMO, is no where near the kind of serious negotiations I was referencing.

The Rams made it pretty clear during the latter part of the process that they were willing to listen to trade offers right down to the wire. That by itself indicates they weren't seriously trying to get a deal in place prior to the draft like Detroit and Houston were.

Heck, Demoff was quoted by the PD in mid-April as saying, ""I don't think it's important to have the first pick signed before the draft," and "[I]t's not a priority for us to have the deal done before the draft." It seems pretty obvious to me that that's a pretty different approach to what Detroit and Houston took.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-01-2010 at 12:36 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Look no one is changing their opinion here. I am of the opinion that Condon knew we were in a corner and played this franchise like a fiddle. I firmly believe that, and I think Demoff did what he could out of a situation that was really a no win for anybody in the organization except Bradford. What happened in these negotiations will remain unknown to the public. I for one am done talking about the situation. I am just happy to know that Bradford is in camp in a fair amount of time and will hopefully be starting week 1.

RealRam is online now Registered User

WOW. The curse of money.

Now all SB needs to do is dish out say, $10 M to be distributed among every Rams OL and TE as an incentive to better protect him.

...And perhaps a couple of $M among leading ClanRam members to remain positive about him.

Originally posted by Ramblin' Man
    Good to see.
    Now, next hurdle...injury free pre-season and then win some games in the regular season.
    Glad this is done with. Alright, let's get down to business.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-01-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Helmet

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345