Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Rams hire Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo to be next HC

Any coach will need to bring in lots of talent.

Let the transformation Begin!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post

Any coach will need to bring in lots of talent.

Let the transformation Begin!

And a good transformation it shall be.

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

PROPS to you Clanram members for giving us the early heads-up on Spags, I've been watching the board all morning and keeping my dad informed as you released the news of Garrett being sent on his way out of St. Louis to the good news buzzing around that we got Spagnuolo. My dad wouldn't believe me until he heard it officially and he says you guys beat ESPN by 15 minutes!!! He's a believer in the Clan now!!

For the first time in a very long time, my excitement for a new season to begin as a Rams fan is just exploding.

We all knew that nothing was going to happen until we cleaned house in management before we would get a worthy coach to reign the horns. FINALLY, Chip listened to some football peeps instead of his Hollywood buds.

Thank you God, it's a great day in Ram Nation!!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

It will be verry interesting to see who he brings in as DC and OC those will be 2 verry important hires. His whole staff is going to be an important hire. I am extremely excited

Kid Gloves is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    NY Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will be the new head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

The Rams and Spagnuolo are currently negotiating the terms of his contract and indications are that we can expect the announcement of the hiring later today.

At this time no news conference is planned for Saturday at Rams Park.

Spagnuolo, 49, was the Giants defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008 and came up with the game plan that resulted in five sacks of Tom Brady and a shocking upset of the undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Before that, Spagnuolo learned his trade under acclaimed Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, working as an Eagles defensive assistant from 1999-2006.

Rams GM Billy and Spagnuolo have been friends for many years and that relationship obviously created a trust factor that helped Spagnuolo feel comfortable about taking the Rams job.

Spagnuolo wowed the Rams' brass with a presentation in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Congrats to Devaney and Rosenbloom.

-B
    Conrats to the Rams! We're certainly going to miss him around here and I feel you've got the right man for the job. I've been very impressed with him in his short time here. It was just a matter of time before he moved on. You're D is certainly going to be better right away.

I'm a life long Giants fan, but will certainly have an eye towards the Rams as they get better and better.

I thought that I'd share this photo that I took of Steve coaching some defensive drills; NY Giants 2008 training camp. Among some of the players in the photo are Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Sammy Knight & Aaron Pierce.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I hope it is Marshall for OC, and I just have a gut feeling it will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    It will be verry interesting to see who he brings in as DC and OC those will be 2 verry important hires. His whole staff is going to be an important hire. I am extremely excited
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Thank you, that was very classy of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
    Conrats to the Rams! We're certainly going to miss him around here and I feel you've got the right man for the job. I've been very impressed with him in his short time here. It was just a matter of time before he moved on. You're D is certainly going to be better right away.

I'm a life long Giants fan, but will certainly have an eye towards the Rams as they get better and better.

I thought that I'd share this photo that I took of Steve coaching some defensive drills; NY Giants 2008 training camp. Among some of the players in the photo are Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Terrell Thomas, Sammy Knight & Aaron Pierce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post

Thanks, and great shot

rammiser is online now Registered User

Well we got what we wanted a defensive minded hard nosed coach. Man I'm stoked about it too. Curious to see who will be running the offense. Hey Al Saunders dont let the door hit you in your arse on the way out. Take your telephone book sized playbook with 3000 different variations of out routes and draw plays and dont ever bring it back.
    Just Fix It

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

Dang, my earlier post posted twice accidently so I deleted one and they both disappeared.

Anyway, to summarize what I said is that I'm just so happy that Chip started listening to the football peeps instead of his Hollywood buds.

Thanks to all that have been keeping us updated all morning as the news was buzzing in.

You can't beat the ClanRam express in bringing us the news practically before it develops. Great job!!!

Let's start shakin' up the league once again!!! It's been long overdue!!!

rams2061 Guest

I was worried they'd hire Jason Garrett.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Very exciting news to say the least! Very happy for the entire organization, great hire. Now let's turn this thing around!

I'm eager to see who he pegs as our OC and DC.

SWFCRAM is online now Registered User

What a fantastic job Devaney has done in this search. He's interviewed the best that were available to us and delivered somebody that I thought was probably out of our reach.
    Looking forward to the coming years as this new partnership turn this thing.

Well Done Billy!!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

More on Spags from the Rams' official site

Rams to Hire Spagnuolo
    Saturday, January 17, 2009
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

In a surprising twist, sources confirmed early Saturday afternoon that the Rams will name Steve Spagnuolo as their new head coach as soon as tonight with a press conference likely to come Monday morning.

Spagnuolo and the Rams are believed to be working on a four-year deal only hours after Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett departed St. Louis following his one night visit. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch first reported the selection of Spagnuolo on Saturday afternoon.

Spagnuolo was believed to be a favorite of ownership after an impressive presentation and interview in Los Angeles on Thursday afternoon.

Rams owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez along with senior adviser John Shaw, general manager Billy Devaney and director of player personnel Lawrence McCutcheon were part of three interviews this week involving Spagnuolo, Garrett and Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

After those interviews concluded, Devaney made his recommendation to ownership. That recommendation as it turned out, was Spagnuolo.

In his two seasons in New York, Spagnuolo’s defenses have earned a reputation for a fierce pass rush combined with exotic and creative blitz schemes. With the likes of Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora at his disposal, it wasn’t a major surprise the Giants defense had such success rushing the passer in 2007.

This season, the Giants played without a retired Strahan and lost Umenyiora to injury before the season. Spagnuolo’s unit still finished the season ranked fifth in defense, allowing 292 yards per contest.

New York’s front four was so dominant in 2007 and in the playoffs, that it earned Spagnuolo a raise to about $2 million a year, making him one of the highest paid assistants in the league.

Spagnuolo is well respected and liked by his players for his ability to take into account their thoughts, adjust his game plans accordingly and resistance to point fingers when something goes wrong.

Considering Spagnuolo’s history, it’s not surprising that his defenses mirror his personality. Spagnuolo cut his teeth under legendary Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson for eight seasons as a defensive assistant, defensive backs and linebackers coach for the Eagles.

There, Spagnuolo, 49, learned the many exotic and creative blitz packages that Johnson has a reputation for.

Spagnuolo took those principles with him to New York, running a base 4-3 defense that emphasizes a variety of blitz packages and various other ways to create pressure on the quarterback.

Born in Whitinsville, Mass., Spagnuolo played his college football at Springfield College where he was a wide receiver.

An east coast guy through and through, Spagnuolo developed a relationship with Devaney when the two were with the Redskins at the same time in 1983. At the time, Spagnuolo was a player personnel intern while Devaney was a scout.

A decade later, Spagnuolo was a scout in San Diego where Devaney was director of player personnel. That relationship combined with the Giants playoff run helped Devaney skip the preliminaries with Spagnuolo and advance him directly to the finalist round of interviews.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

First off, I am also a Rams fan from NJ-Morris County. WOO!!!

Second, Nick that is a fantastic summation of the current events and I am also extemely pleased with the selection for head coach along with everyone else it seems. If Spags can bring in Lito Sheppard and some other defensive playmakers then there is a realistic shot at the NFC West title and/or at the very least a winning record. In conclusion,

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast