Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Breaking news: Rams release holt

***DO NOT USE LINKS!!!!!

Friday, March 13, 2009

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The Rams said goodbye to a franchise icon for the second time this week when they officially released wide receiver Torry Holt on Friday after 10 seasons with the team.

"The Rams will forever be grateful for the way Torry Holt represented the Rams on the field and in the community," owner/chairman Chip Rosenbloom said. "He is an All Pro in every sense of the word. Over the past 10 seasons Torry has proven himself to be one of the finest wide receivers in league history. This is a difficult decision because Torry has meant so much to the organization. In my mind and for all Rams fans, Torry will always be a Ram and we wish him and his family nothing but the best as they move forward."

Speculation about Holtís future began during the 2008 season and it became clear that he was not in the teamís plans earlier in the offseason as it continues to re-shape the roster around young, ascending players.

Holtís release saves the Rams a significant amount of money under the salary cap for 2009. This year was the final year of Holtís contract and Holt was due to count $10.2 million against the cap. His release saves the Rams about $8 million in salary cap space.

A decision on Holt had to be made as the Rams would have owed him a $1.25 million roster bonus on March 17. After shopping him in trade to no avail, the team settled on cutting Holt before the bonus was due. In conjunction with tackle Orlando Paceís release on Tuesday, the Rams have saved more than $14 million with the two moves.

The move is more than a matter of economics, though, as the moves the team has made this offseason represent a shift toward younger players. Holtís number declined to their lowest point since his rookie season in 2008 when he finished with 64 catches for 796 yards and three touchdowns.

Before that, though, Holt has proved himself as one of the leagueís most productive and classiest players.

"Torry Holt has had an outstanding career here in St. Louis," general manager Billy Devaney said. "We thank Torry for the many things he has done for the Rams organization on and off the field."

In this decade, no receiver has put up better numbers than Holt. Since 2000, Holt has posted 817 receptions for 11,872 yards, the best totals of any wide out in the league in that time period.

In 158 career games, Holt has averaged 80.1 yards per game, the most per contest of any player in NFL history. Along the way, Holt has caught a pass in 153 consecutive games and ranks 11th in league history in receptions (869) and 14th in yards (12,660).

The Rams originally selected Holt with the sixth overall selection in the 1999 NFL Draft. Holt made an immediate impact as a rookie and over the first few years of his career, teamed with Isaac Bruce to form one of the most dominant receiving duos in league history.

The release of Holt and Pace leaves defensive end Leonard Little as the last remaining member of the team's 1999 Super Bowl championship squad.
    ---[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by RamWraith; -03-13-2009 at 04:27 PM.

RamsFan16

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Breaking news: Rams release holt

Very sad. But with how vocal Holt has been lately about wanting to be released, I feel like I'm already almost over it. And that's what makes this really sad.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -03-13-2009 at 04:26 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No surprise, but still, another sad announcement.

I wish Torry the best, and thank him for being a great Ram. I will never have a problem wearing my #81 jersey.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Can't say this is a surprise, since Holt asked the club for his release. He had a great career as a Ram and will always be one of my favorites. I wish him the best and hope he looks back at his time with this team in a positive way.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Even though it was a certainty to happen, I'm still a little disappointed to see a great Ram move on. But it has happened in the past and will do in the future it's part and parcel of modern day sports. It makes sense for all parties and the Rams can now move on with the rebuilding project Spags has already undertaken. Thanks for the memories 81...

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

The saddest part is now that the team is finally going to be wearing the throwback jerseys this year, Pace, Holt, and Green (all released this offseason) won't be a part of it. Well, at least we'll have one guy left from the GSOT roster to re-don the old colors.

Really sorry he wouldn't restructure. G'luck Holt! and stay out of the NFC west unless it's back with the Rams!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can't say this is a surprise, since Holt asked the club for his release. He had a great career as a Ram and will always be one of my favorites. I wish him the best and hope he looks back at his time with this team in a positive way.
    Holt asking to be released offended me. Here's a guy that couldn't have come into the NFL at more perfect time. The RAMS were riding that winning wave that as always came smashing into the shore. His mental toughness took a hit in my book over the last couple of seasons. His antics being a veteran of the GSOT hurt our team when we needed him the most. I'm not a Holt hater by any means but I am very disappointed with the way this has come to an end. I wish him nothing but the best except when he plays us.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

[quote=KoaKoi;281746]The saddest part is now that the team is finally going to be wearing the throwback jerseys this year, Pace, Holt, and Green (all released this offseason) won't be a part of it. Well, at least we'll have one guy left from the GSOT roster to re-don the old colors.

Who told you we were going to be wearing the old uniforms? And if so then for how long, a couple of games?

HornIt is offline Registered User

I was over it with Holt a couple years ago. I think this is a good day for the Rams.

Another positive step in the process of being reborn anew.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Even though it doesn't come as a surprise, it still hurts. I'll miss this guy for sure.

Truth is offline Registered User

I too am saddened by Torry's departure. I'm saddened on a couple of levels. One, I'm sad that our last SB, and one of the best Rams WR's ever, is leaving. Two, It's disheartening that he became so disenchanted with this franchise that he felt he needed to leave. Three, I'm a bit disappointed with Torry. He made public comments about his feelings before the beginning of last season, and his heart never seemed to be in the game from that point on. Not that I feel Torry was the reason we only won 2 games last season. But, you really need your veterans to step it up, and set the example when times are tough. IMHO, he failed there.

I do wish him the best, and I'm sure he'll prove to be very productive for another squad.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Thanks for the years of good performances and so long Torry.

Please sign out of Conference.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Sad day even though I knew it was coming. Torry had a rough year last year, but I think it was because of our anemic offense more so than him being "done". Whichever team he goes to he will be a significant help and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him return to prior glory. Thanks and good luck, Torry.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -03-13-2009 at 05:18 PM.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Who told you we were going to be wearing the old uniforms? And if so then for how long, a couple of games?[/quote]

It was announced a while back that the Rams had been granted permission to wear the throwbacks in the up-coming season. The NFL made the Rams wait a year to let this happen, supposedly last season they were to late in letting the league know. Can't remember how many games they can be worn for tbh, think it was possibly 2-3 home games.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He was my second favorite player behind Faulk in the GSOT, he will be missed big time. One of the greats, its going to be weird looking at the Rams starting roster without Holt, Pace, and Ike for that matter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast