Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thermobee is offline Registered User

Holt released!!!

By Steve Wyche

The St. Louis Rams have released veteran WR Torry Holt in a move that was expected –- and desired by Holt.
    The Rams cut Holt, a 10-year veteran and fan favorite, on Friday afternoon, four days before he was due a $1.25 million roster bonus. The move creates nearly $8 million in salary-cap room for the Rams.
    St. Louis tried to trade Holt but had no takers.
    The call follows St. Louis’ decision earlier this week to part with longtime OT Orlando Pace in a similar, two-pronged move. Cutting Pace and Holt saves the Rams roughly $14 million in cap space, but it also continues the team’s move to a younger roster under new coach Steve Spagnuolo.
    Holt, 32, reportedly asked to be released in anticipation of being fazed out of the offense. The seven-time Pro Bowler has played in all but two games since being drafted in the first round from N.C. State in 1999. He surpassed the 1,000-yard receiving mark eight times in his career. In 2008, though, amid an overall awful year for St. Louis, Holt caught just 64 passes for 796 yards and three touchdowns. It was statistically one of his worst seasons, with only his rookie campaign being less productive.
    Holt is statistically among the best receivers in NFL history with 869 receptions, 12,660 yards and 74 touchdowns.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Unhappy The end of an Era: Holt Released...

Per STLtoday.com
    Seven-time Pro Bowl receiver Torry Holt, a mainstay of the "Greatest Show on Turf" teams, was released today by the Rams.

Holt, 32, was due a roster bonus of $1.25 million on Tuesday.

He had one year left on his contract, and his release will save the team $8 million this season: $6.65 million in base salary, a $100,000 offseason workout bonus, plus the roster bonus.

On March 4, Holt had asked the team to release him so that he could find a new team. The Rams were known to have been trying to trade him.

Now, only one player remains from the Rams' Super Bowl championship team: defensive end Leonard Little.

Offensive tackle Orlando Pace, like Holt a seven-time Pro Bowler, was released Tuesday.

"The Rams will forever be grateful for the way Torry Holt represented the Rams on the field and in the community," Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom said in a statement. "He is an All-Pro in every sense of the word.

"This is a difficult decision because Torry has meant so much to the organization. In my mind and for all Rams fans, Torry will always be a Ram."

Holt, the No. 6 overall draft pick by the Rams in 1999, has caught more passes (817) for more yards (11,872) than any receiver in the NFL this decade.

Over his entire 10-year career, his average of 80.1 yards a game is the highest for any receiver in league history.

Overall, Holt is 11th in career receptions (869) and 14th in career receiving yards (12,660).

At the start of the 2008 season, Holt said he wanted to make his 10th NFL campaign special — both from a team standpoint and an individual standpoint. At the start of training camp at Concordia University Wisconsin, he indicated that winning was more important than money or individual achievements at this stage of his career.

But 2008 turned out to be disastrous on several fronts. Coach Scott Linehan was fired four games into the year, and the team finished with a 2-14 record, struggling mightily on both sides of the ball.

Holt's production plummeted. He finished with 64 catches for 796 yards and three touchdowns. The TD total was a career low. His totals for receptions and reception yards were the lowest since his rookie season. And his string of eight-straight 1,000-yard seasons was snapped.

Near the end of the 2008 season, Holt issued a blunt "no comment" when asked if he wanted to return to the Rams in 2009.
    A sad day for all Rams Fans

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Breaking news: Rams release holt

March 13, 2009: The Day the GSOT Died.

Sure, the GSOT has not lived up to its name for a long time now, but with the release of the final two members (Pace, and now, Holt), it is truly over.

I, for one, am ready to move on.

HornIt is offline Registered User

I have the DOD for the GSOT as ....

February 3, 2002

It's been over for a LONG time now. Holt and Pace were essentially surviving beneficiaries for the last several years. The estate is now fully liquidated.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Torry is going to be missed, but I think it was a move the Rams needed to do in rebuilding this team back into contenders!

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

I felt better with Holt on the team. Now, it is so different. Who knows how long it will take for this team to get intentity again. I hope the young guys mature really fast and start making new era for our Rams.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    I have the DOD for the GSOT as ....

February 3, 2002

It's been over for a LONG time now. Holt and Pace were essentially surviving beneficiaries for the last several years. The estate is now fully liquidated.
    Aww maaan......you had to bring that up. Pun intended because my lunch was nearly reborn anew at the thought.

Feb 3 is my birthday...

The 2002 step along this mortal coil is a day that will live in infamy and indigestion.

Of course he'll be remembered as a great Ram but it was time for Big Game to be gone.

The way I see it, the fact that neither Pace nor Holt were really substantially rumored in the trade market adds strong evidence that DeSpags made the right choice about their cost/value, given the circumstances.

I hope they'll both get a chance to contribute somewhere and end their careers on a positive note before coming home to roost, wearing their Ram colors in The HOF.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-13-2009 at 06:21 PM.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

And so its done. We're done... We will never see an offense like the Greatest Show ever again... very sad day.... Good luck Torry....

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A couple of years back, Holt begin taking a dive after making a catch. The next year, he had knee issues. That's when I knew his game had changed forever. It's a sad thing to happen, but we have had time to prepare, and we all expected it someday.

Thanks for being a part of it, Torry!

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No surprise, but still, another sad announcement.

I wish Torry the best, and thank him for being a great Ram. I will never have a problem wearing my #81 jersey.
    Yep, my son has the Holt and I the Bruce...will keep them as long as im alive!

FolsomFan is offline Registered User

My favorite player is gone from my favorite team. Even though I expected it, it still hurts.

Now we are left to wonder what is the plan at WR? Hopefully, the front office has a plan. I am impressed with who have signed in this offseason at other positions, so hopefully that carries over to the WR position.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Even though I knew he was gonna get released, it still saddened me. I watched him play since when I was like 6. Im really going to miss seeing him play for the rams.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

We all knew this way coming though....

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

I didn't think it would hurt, but it does...... Real bad.

Sad day, but we have to look forward and not back.

Thanks for the memories Tory, you have been a great Ram and I wish you every success in the future.

Now lets spend some of this money and fil some holes.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Here's to Torry Holt, a class act through and through.

And here's to a new era of Rams football. The remnants of the GSOT are no longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast