Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Rams set to release S Quintin Mikell Monday

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlegend28
    gotta think with the timing of this release, and upcoming fa that the rams must be working the phones or know of some interest that could replace these safeties.
    Get out of my brain!!!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: BREAKING: Rams set to release S Quintin Mikell Monday

Like everyone else, I don't like the idea of opening a hole especially when we had a top 5 player already filling the hole, but lets hope the replacement is even better!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Kenny Phillips and Jonathon Cyprien will round out the best secondary in the league!!
    I'm gonna miss Mikell, but if were able to get both Phillips and Cyprien I'd be ecstatic!
    sosa39rams likes this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

As the resident Syracuse guy, I have a one word solution to this problem: SHAMARKO!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

If this is true, its becoming abundantly clear that Les Snead and Jeff Fisher will not let the fear of losing an important player drive up the price of said players. In this case, they will cut them if they dont believe theyre worth the cap hit, no matter what their stats look like. To me, it shows the confidence they have in acquiring adequate replacements. No matter how solid the player, theyre willing and able to move on if the price just isnt right for them.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -03-11-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm betting its more than just a plan. It would not surprise me if we've already had extensive talks with the agent of Mickell's replacement.

This should be an interesting week.
    It would not surprise me either, but it concerns me that the names mentioned as likely free agent safety targets in the Rams' price range either have injury concerns or are (at least IMO) a talent downgrade from Mikell.

What also concerns me is that this move doesn't provide a great deal of cap savings. According to the Post Dispatch and Mike Sando of ESPN, the Rams are only freeing up $3 million in cap space by cutting Mikell, meaning they'll still have to count $6 million in dead money against the cap from him. Given how well he played last year, is it worth it for only $3 million in savings and twice as much still on the books?

But we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-11-2013 at 04:37 AM.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What also concerns me is that this move doesn't provide a great deal of cap savings. According to the Post Dispatch and Mike Sando of ESPN, the Rams are only freeing up $3 million in cap space by cutting Mikell, meaning they'll still have to count $6 million in dead money against the cap from him. Given how well he played last year, is it worth it for only $3 million in savings and twice as much still on the books?

But we'll see what happens.
    I usually don't trust Mike Sando, as he seems to never do any research, but if that is the case it does make things more perplexing. I know Phillips and Delmas are options, but like you noted, they do carry some injury risk. I will have to wait until after the draft to make any preemptive judgements. I have been known to eat crow in the past, and with Fisher and Snead running the show now, I am sure I will be eating crow more often after making hasty judgements.

Rammed is offline Registered User

For once Sando is right it's 3M and 6M in dead money. However he fails to say it's a 10M saving next year. When you look at the whole picture it's clear that the release is along the line of Sneads philosophy. Regarding contracts and how they are set up. He wants to avoid these contracts and he has done with the extentions of late. No backloading.

Also don't forget most of the guys we stand to lose aren't Fishead's players. That must work into some of it.

Popular name floating around seems to be Delmas
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There is something inherently wrong with a system where a guy has a couple of productive seasons and then a team gets rid of him to save money against the cap. It's the reason why we're screwing around with the Amendola situation and It happens far too often in the NFL. Mikell is just the latest casualty. He's no Ronnie Lott, but he is a decent player. And it's a mistake for fans to think a team can just easily fill the void by plugging a guy in- it's harder than you think.

shower beers is offline Registered User

The answer here is simple, folks. CRAIG. DAHL.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    As the resident Syracuse guy, I have a one word solution to this problem: SHAMARKO!
    M-m-m-my Shamarko! (See The 1980s)
    Nick likes this.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    The answer here is simple, folks. CRAIG. DAHL.
    That's the answer if the question is, who shouldn't be on the field in a Rams uniform.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm fine with it, thought he would redo his deal. There are plenty of young S in the draft. Here is a name that Adam Schefter threw out.

Chris Clemons | Defensive Back
    Team: Miami Dolphins
    Age / DOB: (27) / 9/15/1985
    Ht / Wt: 6'1' / 210
    College: Clemson
    Contract: view contract details
    Share:
    Miami Dolphins

Clemons, 27, started all 16 games in 2012 and recorded a career-high 99 tackles, while being above-average against both the pass and the run.
    RosieJones likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    There is something inherently wrong with a system where a guy has a couple of productive seasons and then a team gets rid of him to save money against the cap. It's the reason why we're screwing around with the Amendola situation and It happens far too often in the NFL. Mikell is just the latest casualty. He's no Ronnie Lott, but he is a decent player. And it's a mistake for fans to think a team can just easily fill the void by plugging a guy in- it's harder than you think.
    Using your definition of Mikell, a "decent player," can be found almost by accident every day of the week for far less money IMO.

If that's all he is, the Rams did the right thing in releasing him.

Besides, the 3 million saved goes a long way in signing our draft.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-11-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    There are always going to be tough calls on players that's just the way it is. To say it's really hard to replace players how do you explain the follow changes from last year.

Jenkins started day one and he played better then any DB we had on our roster in 2011. Brockers came in and replace a vet from 2011 and played very well. GZ replaced a high paid FG and played very well. Hekker came in and replaced a vet punter and played well. Jo lonn Dunbar, Kendall Langford and William Hayes also played well.

So why can't the Rams make changes to an offense that has been so bad and make it better. This is the best coaching staff the Rams have had since DV left. People here say in Fisher we trust but do they mean it? If so relax and let the coach build the team, year one was great year two will be better!
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    live4ramin and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12