Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JM7

Thread: Breakout candidates!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Breakout candidates!

Who do I think will or has the best chance to breakout next year? Lets get into it!

Robert Quinn, DE: Robert Quinn was a beast posting up 5 sacks and 3 blocked punts playing very scarcely last year. He has natural pass rush ability and is extremely fast. You know whats even more impressive? The fact that he missed his senior season, and still put on last year. Imagine what that experience will do? Quinn has absolutely LOADS of potential and many believe he can easily reach double digit sacks in only his second season. He can have a JPP like impact, and yes thats speaking extremely highly of him. Quinn is a better pure pass rusher than Long, can't wait to see them work together with 2 mammoths at the DT position.

Janoris Jenkins, CB: I think even in just his rookie year Janoris Jenkins can show every team why they made a huge mistake on passing on him. Jack Rabbit has the chance to come right out of the gate and be successful in this league. With his uncanny ability to stay loose in his hips, locate the ball and snag it, tackle, and shadow WR's, he is not like many other CB's coming out of college. He is the complete package. He'll see his fair share of balls when teams would prefer to stay away from Cortland Finnegan. I can see multiple INT's from Jack Rabbit, and several terrific plays that'll go unnoticed due to his coverage abilities. One of the most exciting rookie Rams in many, many years.

Sam Bradford, QB: I think I cheaped out on this one. I can see Bradford having a huge year. Many of us are expecting it with a hopefully improved offensive line, improved WR corps, health of the offense and team, and the addition of Jeff Fisher/Brian Schottenheimer. Bradford finally will have some weapons to play around with through the additions of guys like Brian Quick, Chris Givens, and Isaiah Pead. I am hoping for a terrific season that'll put Bradford in the discussion for a top 8 QB in the NFL.

Brian Quick, WR: Quick is a monster measuring in at 6'4. He has the ability to kill it this year. He won't be short of chances with us relying on him so heavily either. He is raw, but he's been working. Hopefully he can grasp the offense, and steadily improve his route running by Week 1. If he can turn his route running into a serious strength, watch out. It's going to be fun watching Sam toss the ball up for Quick to go get, especially in the red zone (fades). Quick has serious potential, even T.O comparisons were made by the Rams staff.

Jason Smith, RT: This is his last chance to prove to us why he was the #2 pick. I think the addition of Paul Boudreau is going to be HUGE for our OT's. Smith has admitted his past mistakes, and is working on them. This off-season looks different for Smith. I think he can get his things together this time around, if he can stay healthy.

Rodger Saffold, LT: Just like Smith, Saffold must improve for our offense to be successful. If he can go back to his rookie year level of play, he'll be solid. I am 100% comfortable with Saffold, and I believe he will once again prove his worth. He had an off year in which he tore his pectoral as well. This season will be his best yet, especially with the addition of a coach like Paul Boudreau.

Lance Kendricks, TE: Kendricks had a rough rookie campaign. In the pre-season he had 11 receptions, 155 yards, and 3 TD's. The rest of the year, he had 28 receptions, 352 yards, and 0 TD's. His pre-season was spectacular. He and Bradford were connecting all over the field. He showed us what he's capable of, he just needs to stay confident and consistent. He had a severe case of the drops during the regular season, which really haunted him, and destroyed every last drop of confidence he had. Seeing as much as Schottenheimer utilizes the TE in his system, Kendricks has the ability to kill it this year. Reminds me a lot of Dustin Keller too.

Darian Stewart, S: Stew had a great year last year. 84 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 2 FF, 1 INT, 1 TD, 11 PDF. Goes to show his versatility. Whatever he was asked to do, he did it efficiently. If he can continue to improve, he will be a pro bowler soon. Playing alongside a veteran in Quintin Mikell doesn't hurt. Not to mention the additions of many new LB's and DT's to help the safeties out. Stewart is a great tackler, though he will wiff every here or there.

I could have a TON of guys on this list, just trying to keep it short. Who do you guys think has a good chance of breaking out?

THE DREAM TEAM

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Breakout candidates!

I'm thinking Greg Salas has a great chance, to make an impression this year. Im not saying he is going to be a world beater. But I like the chances of Salas making a few more plays for us next season.?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Steven Jackson Steven has a shot to have one of his best years. He will be featured in this run first offense. Competition is good for everyone and that includes SJ. With Pead on the roster already labeled as his future replacement will push SJ. Pead will also provide SJ with a legit blow from time to time and having a change of pace back will help to keep the defense off balance. The addition of Paul Boudreau and Wells is going to improve the running game.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Good list. I haver never been a Kendricks fan though, and I think Quick might need a couple more years before really turns into that lethal receiver, but he definitely will create mismatches next year in the redzone.

To add on to your list, I think the following players might also break out.

Michael Hoomanawanaui - I like him better than Kendricks. He has great hands and has the ability to snag the tough one over the middle thanks to his size. I liked what I saw out of him during his rookie year, and if he stays injury free he has a real shot of being a legit weapon.

James Laurinaitis: Some of you might be questioning why I put Laurinaitis. Truth is, I don't think he's breaked out yet. I feel like he's on the verge of breaking out, finally blossoming into the monster that could rival Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis. He has been manning the linebacker spot for the past few years virtually by himself, and I want to see what he can do with real talent around him. With the new DT's and the experienced OLBs, he should have a potent year.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Steven Jackson Steven has a shot to have one of his best years. He will be featured in this run first offense. Competition is good for everyone and that includes SJ. With Pead on the roster already labeled as his future replacement will push SJ. Pead will also provide SJ with a legit blow from time to time and having a change of pace back will help to keep the defense off balance. The addition of Paul Boudreau and Wells is going to improve the running game.
    No doubt he can have his best year yet. I just didn't put him on the list because by now I think everyone expects him to have a great year. I can easily see him cracking 1,000 again, perhaps hitting 1,600. It'd be a huge accomplishment to do it again (highest was 1,528). I'm hoping for another big year from SJAX because I want to make it to the playoffs, succeed on offense, and for him to be a hall of famer. I hope he breaks 10+ TD's this year.

THE DREAM TEAM

JM7
    JM7 is offline Registered User

All I can do is hope and pray that Sam has a good year. To have him succeed would be such a confidence boost to the entire organization and fan base. If Sam can get some swagger back, he could become an elite level QB, but he needs another solid season to show himself and the team that he is THE franchise quarterback. If we could manage a 6-10 or a 7-9 season with Bradford starting all 16 games and performing at a high level, the rest of the pieces will fall into place.
    Curly Horns and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Chris Long
    If he posted 13 sacks for a team that only posted two wins and barely had the lead in any games, imagine what he can do on a better team and playing with a lead

swatter555 is offline Registered User

A lot of optimism in the original post. It would be a fun year if several of these predictions came true.

The fact is that the Rams need to prove that they don't stink anymore. I want to see performance on the field more than I want to see unrelenting optimism from fans. I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but last year was a soul crusher.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    A lot of optimism in the original post. It would be a fun year if several of these predictions came true.

The fact is that the Rams need to prove that they don't stink anymore. I want to see performance on the field more than I want to see unrelenting optimism from fans. I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but last year was a soul crusher.
    Well, it's the off-season and there is no football at all, so until there is, all you'll get is unrelenting optimism

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post

Ah yes and so it was .. Yet is not pleasure but the child of pain? If so, we could be in for a good deal of pleasure this year .. Right??

Regarding the list of breakout candidates, I like the first two guys listed ..

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quinn getting some play...

Marshall Faulk and Warren Sapp debate which NFL player will have a breakout season in 2012. Faulk went with Robert Quinn.

Mel Kiper also went with Quinn

Every year there is at least one player on almost every team who has a breakout season. If you ask ESPN NFL Draft Guru Mel Kiper, for the Rams, that player will be Robert Quinn. Quinn was the 14th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft and was widely viewed as a steal at that point, despite missing the entire 2010 College Football season with suspension. Mel Kiper was one of the many who were very high on him. Quinn had 6 sacks, 9 quarterback hits, and 21 quarterback pressures on 341 pass rushes and 584 total snaps as a situational player last year. Incumbent starter James Hall is gone as a cap casualty so Quinn will be a starting defensive end opposite Chris Long. Kiper projects double digit sacks for Quinn. Despite their 2-14 record last year, the Rams were one of the best in the league with 39 sacks last year. If Quinn does, in fact, have a breakout year, the Rams could approach the 43 sacks they had in 2010.