Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Leonard

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Brian Leonard

I haven't been around much the last 8 1/2 days or so. I've been traveling with my family on vacation. We were in Florida (Tampa area for 5 days) and then in the Raleigh, NC area until arriving home this afternoon. I hadn't seen a RAMS anything in all my travels....until. I was boarding the plane in Raleigh this morning heading back to Boston. I had a seat in the last row of the plane and a young couple was sitting right in front of me and the guy had a RAMS hat on. He gave me the thumbs up as I walked by and I blurted out at him LOVE YOUR HAT! We both kept to ourselves the entire flight. Then when we landed in Boston he turned around and asked me what I thought about the RAMS picks in the draft so far? I let him know that I loved our first 2 picks but I didn't know anything about the guy we drafted in the third round. Anyway to make a long story short he quickly informed me that he was from upstate New York and was a very close friend of one of our current players. Brian Leonard was one of his best friends. Being a bit puzzled I curiously asked him 3 quick questions. Is Leonard going to do anything this year?....your from upstate NY? You must be a Bills fan? Actually he said, I'm A Cowboys fan but wear the RAMS hat to support my buddy Brian. He went on to say that Brian is 100% healthy and that the new offense that the RAMS offense is learning is the same offense that Brian played in college. He also, even though he has a biased opinion feels like this will be the year that Brian finally shows his true abilities as a very good football player.

I have to say talk is cheap but I walked off that plane feeling pretty excited about this inside view from Leonard's close friend. Could Brian Leonard be that guy we need on the field when Jackson needs a blow? You know Brian Leonard is like the forgotten man on our team. This would certainly be a nice surprise.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Brian Leonard

He'll more than likely be gone. We picked another RB with our 7th pick, so one of our RB's will probably have to go. Leonard has been least productive and/or hurt,so he will have to really excel to stay IMO. His friend might need a new hat soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Alec22 is offline Registered User

I think leonard will deff have a roster spot and will deffinatly be given a chance to gets reps to see how this 2nd round pick can do. Just cause we took a rb in the 7th plays no barring on the status of leonard IMO

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

How exciting was it too see that first "Leonard Leap" as a Ram? He's definitely had his setbacks, but I think he's going to have to prove himself this year. I'll be pulling for him.

thermobee is offline Registered User

awesome story.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think he's gonna be gone after next year depending on what he does this year. Who knows, with the new regime, he may be an impact player.

I'm hoping he plays out, seeming we picked him so high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Leonard might bounce back this year to becone a healthy, reliable RB depth kind of player with the Rams. At least that's what I'm hoping and would like to see.

I'm still rooting for BL to be part of a renewed Rams running game!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i sure hope he stays healthy this year and only plays RB...its clear that he was never gonna be a real FB in the NFL..especially with his shoulder problems.

good luck Brian...if you can stay healthy,ive got faith in you to succeed!
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -04-27-2009 at 07:22 AM.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Great story Laramo! Even better to hear Brian is healthy, and that the new offensive system the Rams will implement is one Leonard is familiar with. It would appear that the experiment attempting to convert Brian to a bruising fullback is finally over, and now he can be employed as a change of pace running back at a lighter playing weight which should help him regain and utilize his 4.49 speed. Brian possesses excellent hands and in the new system should have the opportunity to be a "move the chains" type of player. Hopefully one of our PD reporters will have a chance to chat with Pat Shurmur in the near future, and find out the sort of role our new OC envisions for Leonard in his particular version of the west coast offense. Brian may have been drafted too high, but that wasn't his fault, and the possibility exists that he can become a very productive and steady player for the Rams. His being a poster boy for the "four pillars" philosophy certainly won't count against him with Spags ..

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

You know, when people ask me about my friends.... I always make sure to put them down and place them in the worst light possible.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Leonard did not have a chance to run 2 years ago behind a line that had Todd Stuessie as its best player... Give him a chance guys, Leonard might turn out to be a decent player not the next coming of Travis Jervey

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Leonard has been a FB I think we can move him back to RB with the addition of Karney. I think he can be a decent backup and at best with his blocking and ball catching ability he can be a less explosive Derrick Ward. As of now he is the backup with Darby as the third down guy. IMO the last spot will come down to Pittman or Ogbonaya

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Leonard is allowed to be a RB playing at 220-225, rather than an undersized FB, I think there is a place for him in the NFL. He's probably not a feature back, but he could be an effective guy to give Jackson a rest and catch the ball out of the backfield.

The one thing I am certain of is that he will do whatever he is asked to do without a complaint. There's something to be said for that.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I live in New Jersey and followed Brian Leonard while he was at Rutgers. I always liked him, but had my doubts about his ability to take his game to the pro level. He is too small to be a traditional fullback and lacks the quickness to be a feature back. At best, he is a guy who can serve as a spot player or be a guy who gives Steven Jackson an occasional breather. He can also catch a ball out of the backfield a time or two and also could be used on special teams. Asking for anything more is asking too much. His ability isn't befitting being a 2nd round draft pick, although it seemed all the "experts" projected him there.

This is a pivotal year for him. He must stay healthy as well as produce. If he doesn't, he'll be gone in a year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

My big question is whether he can make an impact on special teams. If he can do so, he can be a nice depth guy on the roster. He is never going to be worth the #2 pick that we paid for him, but he may still be a competent backup with special teams skills. If he isnt any good at special teams, i really think his contribution is going to be very limited.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast