Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Brian Leonard: From a Rutgers fan

Hello, KingHigh! I would like to know if B. Leonard was the main RB/TB before Rice arrived and, if so, why did Schiano move Brian and not keep him where he was at? BTW Congrats on an incredible season at Rutgers.

WHAT SAY YE?
    P.S. Are there any other curent or past players in the NFL that we should be aware of? I seem to recall that Bill Pickel of the Faiders came from Rutgers, but that's about all.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I must say I'm impressed with the following Leonard has, the board seems to have seen a steady influx of Rutgers fans/people from Jersey that are here to tell us how great he is, moreso than with any other player I can remember us drafting. I also read how H.B. Blades said Leonard is the best running back he has faced, and he's faced a pretty nice selection of backs.

I didn't, and still don't, like the pick, but right from the beginning that had much more to do with the position and our (perceived) needs, as well as the other available players, than with Leonard himself.

But now that we have Leonard you can't help but get excited when hearing from all the Leonard fans, the feedback from the people that know this kid the best is so unanimous you can't help but be moved a little by it I think.

Edit: Oh and welcome to you KingHigh, always good to see another Rams fan, forget those Giants, you've come to the right place
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -04-30-2007 at 04:01 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by KingHigh View Post
    I just want to point out that the reality is that Leonard is NOT like Mike Alstott, other than the fact that they're both white. If people didn't factor skin color into the equation, then they would be more likely to compare Leonard to Steven Jackson than anyone else.

It looks like the Rams are hoping to use SJ and BL interchangably, which would be great for both players and the Rams. But more than anything else, BL will do whatever the coaches need him to do to win.
    A tackle-to-tackle TB who is often mistaken for a FB; average to above average lead blocking skills; soft hands; smart leader in the backfield; can plow for tough yards inside; not a big play threat; doesn't have the speed to get out on the corner; very difficult to bring down with first hit

Sounds a lot like Alstott to me.......and I didn't even bring up his skin color.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. I think he has lockerroom leader written all over him. And I look forward to seeing what he can do on the field. However, I'm not ready to say that he and SJ will be interchangeable.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

KingHigh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Hello, KingHigh! I would like to know if B. Leonard was the main RB/TB before Rice arrived and, if so, why did Schiano move Brian and not keep him where he was at? BTW Congrats on an incredible season at Rutgers.

WHAT SAY YE?
    P.S. Are there any other curent or past players in the NFL that we should be aware of? I seem to recall that Bill Pickel of the Faiders came from Rutgers, but that's about all.
    BL was recruited as a linebacker. During his redshirt freshman year, the team was running goal line drills at practice (where the offense was backed against the goalline and the objective is to get some breathing room out past the 5). The backs were not getting the job done, so the coach told Leonard to get in there. He proceeded to break off several 10 yard runs, and he was the feature back ever since.

From his freshman year through his junior year, he was the feature back with a nose for the end zone. He is the all time leader in points and receptions.

In 2005, Ray Rice was a true freshman, and he showed spectacular ability that needs to be on the field. He's also an outstanding back, but much smaller than Brian. In 2006, BL selflessly stepped into the fullback role, because it was best for the team. It allowed RU to have 2 NFL backs on the field at the same time. With the help of BL's blocking prowess, Ray Rice ran wild. This was the best scenario for the team, and that is what BL is all about.

Other notable Rutgers alums in the NFL were/are Marco Battaglia, Ray Lucas, Shawn O'Hara, LJ Smith and Gary Brackett.
    Last edited by KingHigh; -04-30-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A tackle-to-tackle TB who is often mistaken for a FB; average to above average lead blocking skills; soft hands; smart leader in the backfield; can plow for tough yards inside; not a big play threat; doesn't have the speed to get out on the corner; very difficult to bring down with first hit

Sounds a lot like Alstott to me.......and I didn't even bring up his skin color.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. I think he has lockerroom leader written all over him. And I look forward to seeing what he can do on the field. However, I'm not ready to say that he and SJ will be interchangeable.
    Leonard is all those things, and much faster than Alstott and much more athletic and he is a big play threat.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2WqYIttKg

Alstott couldn't do ^^^ in his wildest dreams.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I must admit when I first saw that we drafted some FB by the name of BL I was livid. But after doing my research and realizing the type of player we picked up I immediately became one his number one fans. I have VERY high hopes for Leonard and am thrilled to have him backing up Jackson.
    Sums up my feelings exactly.

thoey is offline Registered User

This space for rent...

youtube.com/watch?v=dERlwhfbvZw

Here is a new one. Very cool.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Can't wait to see the guy play.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I know that some of you expressed disappointment upon hearing Brian Leonard's name as your second round pick.
    KingHigh, if you had witnessed our defense the last few years, you would understand exactly where those of us who expressed disappointment were coming from, believe me. The disappointment had nothing to do with Brian Leonard.

That said, I'm actually excited about Leonard and can't wait to see him in action as a Ram. I really hope he can translate his talent to the next level.

RUJohnny99 is offline Registered User

Hello from another brand new Rams fan in NJ.

BL was our main running threat for three years before Ray Rice. Here's an article from ESPN from his junior year before Rice started taking the bulk of the carries. The writer compares Leonard to John Riggins.

espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2180594

As far as other Rutgers alum in the NFL, most notable are MLB Gary Brackett of the Colts & TE LJ Smith of the Eagles.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Great videos on Leonard at Youtube. I've seen three or four and ... well, it's EXCITING! :r

Obviously much too early to make Leonard a "Legend" already with the Rams but I can't help believing that he's projecting to seriously enhance Steven Jackson's productivity. Really like how Brian comes across in terms of character too (saw it on one of the videos), personally and soon -- professionaly.

Go for it, Leonard Leaper! ...Go for it! -- GO RAMS!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, RUJohnny99, I tried your link (espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2180594) but it comes back from ESPN saying "File Not Found" [?]...

In any case...

Welcome to the Clan! -- Thanks for Leonard!!

Welcome to the Rams!!!
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-01-2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Format

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Leonard is all those things, and much faster than Alstott and much more athletic and he is a big play threat.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2WqYIttKg

Alstott couldn't do ^^^ in his wildest dreams.
    Intriguing.....I wouldn't have imagined comparisons to an 11 year veteran and 6 time pro bowler would be met with such resistance. Yes, he's faster than Alstott, but at 4.5 is he fast enough to get outside? Probably not, so his carries will most likely be limited to short yardage and goal line. Also, he's not the blocker that Alstott is, but Alstott has 20+ pounds on Leonard and actually came from a FB background, not just a position switch his senior year.

However, IMO, Leonard is a better receiver than Alstott, and will get more touches than Alstott. And that's saying something, because unlike the co-HB position that Alstott had in Tampa (until his 2003 injuries), Leonard won't be the co- anything. That backfield belongs to Steven Jackson, and he is the featured jewel in Linehan's offense. What Leonard will be is a) the grinder that gets the tough yards, b) an excellent receiving threat out of the backfield, c) a versatile back who will motion between the backfield, H-back and End, and d) most importantly, insurance if Jackson gets hurt. Unlike any other RB on the roster, Leonard could be (hopefully will never have to be, but could be) the lone back in this offense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

From my vast experience in fantasy football, I've come to realize that there are actually three truths in life: Death, taxes, and no NFL running back can get 350 carries for three consecutive seasons. Jackson rushed the ball 350 times last year. Most absolute stud RBs see either sharp declines in production or injury in seasons following a 350-carry season. Being able to run the ball 350 times season after season is what makes Hall of Fame running backs.

The fact that the Rams drafted BL tells me that they do envision BL to be able to fill in for SJ so they can reduce his number of carries and keep him around longer. The Rams are happy because they want to preserve SJ who is a great back. BL is happy because he gets to play as the tail back at times during the game, and long term if SJ goes down. SJ is happy because he is a free agent in 2009 and he'd love to be healthy enough to get a huge contract.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast